PDA

View Full Version : South Padre Island 9-Ball Championships

Cane
01-01-2005, 12:51 PM
For those who wanted info on this, you can go to www.sopadre.com (http://www.sopadre.com) and there is a link at the top of the page for the tournament. You can download registration forms via an Adobe link on the site. Just got off the phone from making my Reservations at the Host Hotel, Travelodge. With $10,000 added, this should be a very nice BCA sanctioned event.

Later,
Bob

SPetty
01-01-2005, 01:24 PM
I still think it's rather unusual that I haven't heard about this tournament except from your posts on this forum (and subsequent email from randyg). Would you have known about it if you weren't friends with Randy?

Has anyone seen it advertised elsewhere? It may be a nice tournament, but how successful will it be if no one's heard about it?

And if anyone's considering going, SPI is a great place to visit in January!

Bob
01-01-2005, 04:15 PM
This tournament originally started as The SPI South Padre Island Shark Shootout. It was hosted bu US Classic Billiards www.uscb.com (http://www.uscb.com) which is a maker of a low end pool table that is mainly sold at Sam's Club.

Randy was the original TD of this event and did a great job. The event was huge over 200 players at a $250.00 entry fee. The top pay outs were something like $32,000 yes, that was $32,000 for 1st Place which I believe David Henson of Texas won. It continued for another 2 years with different TD's as Dr. Pool, (Dean Roesler) and GMPA Tournament Direction, Cecil Messer. This lasted a total of 3 years and then defunked with the convention center letting them out of their contract and bringing Randy G back to run the event with a different format. They have ad's in BD and I think InsidePool. They lowered the entry fee to I think around $75.00 which does not give you a lot of room for a advertizing budget.

So, in other words, this event has been around a good 5 years. It's a nice event and a great place to visit.