PDA

View Full Version : The Magic Eraser is truly MAGIC!!

JimS
01-02-2005, 09:15 PM
I'd read what some of you had to say about Mr. Clean's Magic Eraser and although I didn't disbelieve you I just couldn't have possibly been prepared for what happened when I used it.

I keep my cue(s) VERY clean but tonight, after using my usual lighter fluid after each daily use of the cue, I looked at the ferrule and upper shaft under my magnifying lamp and found that there was some blue on the ferrule and dirt imbedded in the shaft.

As I prepared to get out the Cue Clean and scrub it I remembered that I'd picked up a package of the Magic Erasers that had been recommended by some of you.

I dampened one and in just a few wipes all the blue was gone from the ferrule. I then started on the shaft and the dammed thing took off dirt that I would have thought would need to be sanded off.

It was truly unbelievable. I'm just amazed. Flat out stunned.

If you haven't tried it you really owe it to yourself to try these things. You'll be able to get your cue cleaner than you ever imagined without abrasives.

wantsumrice
01-02-2005, 09:25 PM
Yeah, the results are pretty ridiculous. The first time I tried it I knew it would be good, but I was still surprised at how well it cleaned.

cheesemouse
01-02-2005, 09:32 PM
Jim,

It is amazing. Stay out of the kitchen and bathroom...LOL...once you start cleaning things with it you can't stop.... /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

onepocketfanatic
01-02-2005, 09:35 PM
A question (before I try this). Since you are having to dampen the eraser, don't you have to seal the shaft after using? Do you seal the shaft by using a very fine grit sand paper and polish until very hot? Thanks

JimS
01-03-2005, 06:15 AM
I use 2k grit sandpaper to smooth the shaft after having it wet/damp and then seal it by burnishing with a piece of leather rubbing untill it's hot.

It's just riduculous that a sponge with a little water in it should be able to clean like this. It's unreal. I had to try it on another "clean" shaft first thing out of bed this morning. I'm flat-out amazed.

Paul_Mon
01-03-2005, 07:34 AM
Jim,
I had the same experience. I bought Magic Eraser over 6 months ago and just recently tried it. Whoever first told us about this product belongs in the HALL OF FAME. BTW, I burnish after cleaning with a piece of wax paper inside the leather.

Paul Mon~~~~~who was that guy??

Troy
01-03-2005, 08:03 AM
Yes, the Magic Eraser® does wonders; however, there is a recommendation on the package to NOT USE ON BARE WOOD.
I thoroughly burnish with a piece of leather after cleaning.

Troy
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote JimS:</font><hr> I use 2k grit sandpaper to smooth the shaft after having it wet/damp and then seal it by burnishing with a piece of leather rubbing untill it's hot.

It's just riduculous that a sponge with a little water in it should be able to clean like this. It's unreal. I had to try it on another "clean" shaft first thing out of bed this morning. I'm flat-out amazed. <hr /></blockquote>

Rich R.
01-03-2005, 10:09 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Troy:</font><hr> Yes, the Magic Eraser® does wonders; however, there is a recommendation on the package to NOT USE ON BARE WOOD.<hr /></blockquote>
I have to wonder what the chemicals, in the Magic Eraser, are doing to the wood fibers. /ccboard/images/graemlins/confused.gif

I really don't like to use anything, but a damp cloth, or paper towel, to clean my shafts. I have never minded a little bit of discoloration in my cue shafts and I think I will keep it that way.
I may be in the minority here, but IMHO, a used cue should look used. /ccboard/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

Wally_in_Cincy
01-03-2005, 10:25 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Rich R.:</font><hr> ...I have to wonder what the chemicals, in the Magic Eraser, are doing to the wood fibers. ...<hr /></blockquote>

I don't think it has chemicals. The cleaning action is mechanical rather than chemical.

What I wonder is if there is a significant abrasive factor which would result in a decreased diameter. When this subject first came up I intended to do an experiment on an old shaft but I have yet to do it.

landshark77
01-03-2005, 11:06 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Wally_in_Cincy:</font><hr>
I don't think it has chemicals. The cleaning action is mechanical rather than chemical.

<hr /></blockquote>

I have never read the package, but I do use the Magic Eraser in my daily (LMAO) domestic cleaning activities. When you wet it and squeeze the water out you can tell that there is some type of chemical in it...at least that is what it appears like to me. /ccboard/images/graemlins/confused.gif

SPetty
01-03-2005, 11:28 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Paul_Mon:</font><hr>Whoever first told us about this product belongs in the HALL OF FAME.
Paul Mon~~~~~who was that guy?? <hr /></blockquote>A search of the forums leads me to believe the guy was TommyT (http://www.billiardsdigest.com/ccboard/showflat.php?Cat=&amp;Board=ccb&amp;Number=129355&amp;page=&amp;vi ew=&amp;sb=&amp;o=&amp;vc=1) .

Rich R.
01-03-2005, 11:51 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Wally_in_Cincy:</font><hr> The cleaning action is mechanical rather than chemical.

What I wonder is if there is a significant abrasive factor which would result in a decreased diameter. <hr /></blockquote>
A significant abrasive factor could be worse than a chemical factor. /ccboard/images/graemlins/confused.gif

Wally_in_Cincy
01-03-2005, 12:05 PM
http://www.homemadesimple.com/mrclean/products/eraser.shtml

Mr. Clean Magic Eraser™ is a soft cleaning pad that acts just like an eraser. It's an innovative cleaning material that gets into grooves where dirt and grime are trapped. You'll be amazed how easily Mr. Clean Magic Eraser breaks up tough dirt, lifting it away from surfaces. And it does all this with just water alone. It's simple and easy to use—no fumes, gloves, buckets, or chemicals required.

You can use it virtually all over the house—from crayon marks on the walls to scuff marks on the floors; you can even use it outside the house on patio furniture, car interiors, car wheels, and much, much more.

The Mr. Clean Magic Eraser is a highly effective cleaning tool. Test first on an inconspicuous spot with light pressure to see if surface may scratch or dull. Not recommended for use on surfaces that are polished/glossy, or on brushed, satin, dark, or faux finishes. Do not use with chlorine bleach.

<font color="blue">I guess we will have to define "significant" /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif </font color>

SpiderMan
01-03-2005, 01:55 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Wally_in_Cincy:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote Rich R.:</font><hr> ...I have to wonder what the chemicals, in the Magic Eraser, are doing to the wood fibers. ...<hr /></blockquote>

What I wonder is if there is a significant abrasive factor which would result in a decreased diameter. When this subject first came up I intended to do an experiment on an old shaft but I have yet to do it. <hr /></blockquote>

Just rub the eraser (dry) on your shaft in a simulated cleaning action and then see if you can shake any significant sawdust out of it. If not, I'd have to say it isn't sanding down your shaft. Myself, I've never felt like it was abrasive.

I believe I saw a photomicrograph of the eraser surface, and it was bristling with little "hairs" that were a result of broken cells in the open-pore foam. These little hairs apparently work the dirt out of microscopic crevasses to do the cleaning action.

I have to wonder whether this stuff would also be useful for cleaning old vinyl record albums.

SpiderMan

RedHell
01-03-2005, 02:46 PM
This is exactly how I understand its functionalty... these little hairs get in everything and take the dirt out...

But I can confirm that there is a certain abrasive factor, tho I believe it to be very low. A friend of mine went bezerk cleaning his shaft and even rubbed the joint. He's playing with an old Dufferin and the finnish on the joint disapeared... it kinda got matt.

Now from what I can rember, these old duffering have a aluminium joint and it is varnished, it now just look like aluminium....

It might have just pulled the varnished out of the cavities of the aluminium ? not sure...

Paul_Mon
01-03-2005, 03:18 PM
Well, he gets my vote. Actually Sue I knew it was Tom. We get together and bang the balls around occasionally. But it was really his lovely wife who first bought the stuff. All Tom did was steal some from her.

Paul Mon~~~~~~plays Tom even, wins some loses some

landshark77
01-03-2005, 06:22 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote SpiderMan:</font><hr>
I have to wonder whether this stuff would also be useful for cleaning old vinyl record albums.

<hr /></blockquote>

Whoa! A cue is one thing...but you aren't touching my records with that stuff! Slowly sit it down and back away. /ccboard/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

nhp
01-03-2005, 06:27 PM
Where can I buy the Magic Eraser and how much does it cost?

Paul_Mon
01-03-2005, 07:10 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote nhp:</font><hr> Where can I buy the Magic Eraser and how much does it cost? <hr /></blockquote>

Most any grocery store for less than $2

nAz
01-03-2005, 07:12 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote nhp:</font><hr> Where can I buy the Magic Eraser and how much does it cost? <hr /></blockquote>

If you have to ask you can't afford it dude. /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif
err most supermarkets are caring it in the cleaning supply isle.

I Have been using it on my Predator shaft about once ever 3 weeks i like to wet it with just a little bit of "Cue Doctor cue shaft cleaner" or something similar, after about 8 months now i have not notice any problems with my shaft, if anything it has kept me from sanding it.

Bob C
01-03-2005, 07:38 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Wally_in_Cincy:</font><hr> http://www.homemadesimple.com/mrclean/products/eraser.shtml
. . . Do not use with chlorine bleach. <hr /></blockquote>

The Eraser may possibly contain some form of ammonia. As you may have learned in housekeeping 101, "Don't ever mix bleach with ammonia. The resultant gas is lethal." A chemistry teacher friend of mine said this is how mustard gas is made.

nhp
01-04-2005, 03:41 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote nAz:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote nhp:</font><hr> Where can I buy the Magic Eraser and how much does it cost? <hr /></blockquote>

If you have to ask you can't afford it dude. /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif
err most supermarkets are caring it in the cleaning supply isle.

I Have been using it on my Predator shaft about once ever 3 weeks i like to wet it with just a little bit of "Cue Doctor cue shaft cleaner" or something similar, after about 8 months now i have not notice any problems with my shaft, if anything it has kept me from sanding it. <hr /></blockquote>

I've been saving up, right now I'm at 34 cents, give me about a week and I should have about $1.50

Rangercap
01-04-2005, 06:19 AM
The Magic Sponges truly work wonders. I take a sponge and cut into smaller chunks, and use them until they can't be used any more. If they get a little dirty, just rinse it out, dry it, and use it again. I told a guy I shoot with about them, and he was skeptical at first, but he took the ones his wife uses and loves how well they work!

You can see the details of this material here...

http://www.sunpowerusa.com/whismefo.html

bb

TommyT
01-04-2005, 06:49 AM
Yes, it was me who discovered the magic in the Magic erasers. It was a eureka!! moment destined to go into the annals of time. Please send money or buy me a drink at the Derby City Classic.
TommyT /ccboard/images/graemlins/cool.gif

Pizza Bob
01-04-2005, 06:53 AM
These "sponges" are melamine, and as pointed out, contain no other chemicals. I don't think the warning about not using chlorine bleach was because of any dangerous chemical reaction, rather because it is destructive to the sponge. I tried using a dampened magic eraser sprinkled lightly with some Q-clean, which is powdered chlorine bleach. Worked great on the cue - ate holes in the sponge. I believe I posted something to that effect on this board.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

Deeman2
01-04-2005, 06:59 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote SpiderMan:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote Wally_in_Cincy:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote Rich R.:</font><hr> I believe I saw a photomicrograph of the eraser surface, and it was bristling with little "hairs" that were a result of broken cells in the open-pore foam. These little hairs apparently work the dirt out of microscopic crevasses to do the cleaning action.

<font color="blue"> You, my web slinging friend, have entirely too much time on your hands!!! /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Tori and I need to visit an old uncle and aunt in Denton on some Saturday. I was thinking maybe we could hook up on a Saturday night and hit a tournament or two. What do you think? If a particular Saturday would work for you, let me know.

Deeman
would think the microscopic hairs on Spiderman's palm would do the trick without the Magic Eraser... /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif</font color>

SpiderMan <hr /></blockquote>

SpiderMan
01-04-2005, 07:35 AM
Check your mail.

SpiderMan
01-04-2005, 07:41 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote landshark77:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote SpiderMan:</font><hr>

<hr /></blockquote>

Whoa! A cue is one thing...but you aren't touching my records with that stuff! Slowly sit it down and back away. /ccboard/images/graemlins/shocked.gif <hr /></blockquote>

Seriously, besides the arguments over what should go into the cleaning solution, the biggest debate in vinyl restoration is how to get the embedded grime out of the grooves. The eraser's tiny plastic hairs might fill the bill, as styli that are small enough to dislodge the deep grit but soft enough to do no damage.

SpiderMan

SPetty
01-04-2005, 09:26 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote SpiderMan:</font><hr> The eraser's tiny plastic hairs might fill the bill, as styli that are small enough to dislodge the deep grit but soft enough to do no damage. <hr /></blockquote>Well, it sure sounds like you're going to try it! /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif Let us know how it works.

Fred Agnir
01-04-2005, 09:37 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote TommyT:</font><hr> buy me a drink at the Derby City Classic.
TommyT /ccboard/images/graemlins/cool.gif <hr /></blockquote>Can do.

Fred

Bob C
01-04-2005, 07:47 PM
According to P&amp;G's Material Safety Data Sheet the Magic Eraser is a Formaldehyde-Melamine-Sodium Bisulfite Copolymer. When it decomposes it gives off, among other things, formaldehyde and hydrogen cyanide. My best advice: Don't sniff a decomposing Magic Eraser!!!

JimS
01-05-2005, 09:40 AM
Well heck...and I was about to smoke one.

KGeeED
01-06-2005, 07:41 AM
There must some kind of chemical in the Magic Eraser. I use one to clean the kitchen counter and tried it on the faucet. I found that it cleans everything but left water marks or residue that were noticable on the chrome surface. I would be afraid to use it on vinyl records because of this residue and not sure what affect it would have on the needle.

UWPoolGod
01-06-2005, 08:09 AM
After reading this post the past few days I stopped at the store and picked on up. Unbelieveable. My cue was dirty, dirty that nothing would help on. Now I have several isolated serious deep grain stains. Gonna possibly try to raise those out as well.

cheesemouse
01-06-2005, 08:34 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Bob C:</font><hr> According to P&amp;G's Material Safety Data Sheet the Magic Eraser is a Formaldehyde-Melamine-Sodium Bisulfite Copolymer. When it decomposes it gives off, among other things, formaldehyde and hydrogen cyanide. My best advice: Don't sniff a decomposing Magic Eraser!!! <hr /></blockquote>

That may explain why I was so constipated after my Magic Eraser sandwich... /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

DavidMorris
01-06-2005, 08:44 AM
The water marks were probably from the tap water I presume you used. Distilled water is used to avoid water marks, and if I were going to try to clean records, I would certainly use distilled water. My only concern with record cleaning would be the abrasiveness. Yes, it feels "soft" enough but their are plenty of warnings about scratching polished surfaces. A vinyl record isn't a polished surface, but still...

I picked up a package of these last night during a grocery run. Haven't tried it on my cue yet, but read the box and specs thoroughly and no mention of any chemical cleaners, only the warning that it is abrasive enough to scratch some delicate or polished surfaces.

JimS
01-07-2005, 05:42 AM
Since I started this thread I've used The Magic Eraser on several cues and with great success. I used one of them up. They slowly disintegrate.

Be cautious about rubbing the finished part of the cue as they will take finish off. I put a piece of masking tape around the shaft at the line where the finish starts.

SnakebyteXX
01-16-2005, 10:27 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Since I started this thread I've used The Magic Eraser on several cues and with great success. I used one of them up. They slowly disintegrate.

Be cautious about rubbing the finished part of the cue as they will take finish off. I put a piece of masking tape around the shaft at the line where the finish starts.

<hr /></blockquote>

I finally got around to picking up this product but have yet to use it. Found it at Walmart along with another product from Scotch Brite that might be made of the same material -

Scotch Brite's 'Easy Erasing Pad' (http://www.3m.com/us/home_leisure/scotchbrite/products/scrubbing_easy_erasing_pad.jhtml)

I've just used the Scotch Brite product on an old Predator 314 shaft. It did a remarkable job of cleaning off the chalk dust and the grime. The shaft looks brand new!

Just found this negative review at Epinions -

Bad review when compared with Magic Eraser (http://www.epinions.com/content_138957655684)

Snake &lt;--- thinking that these two products both use similar material but one may outlast the other.

Rod
01-16-2005, 05:51 PM
I'm not familiar with the scotch brite product. However for under 3 bucks I got two ME pads. One pad cleaned 6 shafts like new. I still could have got a little more mileage, but I tossed it.

Since I have 1 left and won't use it till late next year, if that, I'd say they paid for themselves easily. I think it's just the nature of this sponge like material not to last very long, not a big deal especially when something does what it's advertized to do.

Rod

SpiderMan
01-17-2005, 07:18 AM
Snake,

All of the Scotch-Brite pads I have seen were highly abrasive, no different than using sandpaper. It's basically a scouring pad, and "cleans" your shaft by sanding it down to a fresh layer. If you rub your shaft with Scotch-Brite, and then tap the pad on a dark surface, you'll see a lot of sawdust falling out.

SpiderMan

JimS
01-17-2005, 07:47 AM
Hey Spiderman...apparently this Scotch Brite pad is like the Magic Eraser. I used the link above and it reads like it's a ME with a backing/handle.

SpiderMan
01-17-2005, 08:59 AM
OK, that makes more sense. I'd become used to thinking of Scotch-Brite as the flat rectangular abrasive product. Now I'll have to start asking "which Scotch-Brite?".

SpiderMan

SnakebyteXX
01-17-2005, 10:11 AM
[ QUOTE ]
.apparently this Scotch Brite pad is like the Magic Eraser. I used the link above and it reads like it's a ME with a backing/handle. <hr /></blockquote>

Yep, "ME with a handle". My guess is that the ME patent protection has expired and 3M (Scotch Brite) is making a grab for market share. I doubt that there's any co-incidence in the 'eraser vs erasing' brand names.

I used the Easy Erasing Pad to clean up two cue shafts - it did an excellant job on them both. The pad shows no sign of falling apart but I think it might if the surface being cleaned was rough.

After cleaning with the EEP I burnished the two shafts with leather and coated them with the Zardoz NOTwax product I mentioned in an earlier post. On the Zardoz - I noticed that it needs a little time to soak in before use otherwise some of it rubs off on my fingers. After soaking in for a few minutes the cue shaft feels 'dry' but very slick.

Snake