PDA

View Full Version : John Kucharo

Pechauer_player
01-03-2005, 09:39 AM
Has anybody heard or does anyone know what happened to John Kucharo?

Wally_in_Cincy
01-03-2005, 10:27 AM
I think he owns a pool hall somewhere near Moline IL. I remember Chris Cass talking about it.

JimS
01-03-2005, 11:04 AM
I talked to him a couple weeks ago. He's sold the ph. He's still living in the Quad Cities and he's been here to Galesburg a few times to rob us novices in a Wednesday night 9 ball tournament No hard feelings from me...just using the descriptive phrase that best describes what happens when he comes here to take off the tournament. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

I love having a REALLY good player to watch.

Chris Cass
01-03-2005, 11:22 AM
Pechauer Player,

What's up? I seen Jonny the other day and he was glad to see me. He's playing again. When I talked to him he was looking for some action. He lost some weight that he'd gained resently and looks ok. He told me he was hitt'm good. If there's a message? I could get it to him if it's not too personal in nature. If it is? Pm me and we'll talk.

Regards,

C.C.~~seems he's trying to burn every bridge he has lately (except ours). It's a shame as lifetime friends should stay lifetime friends. IMHO

nhp
01-03-2005, 12:19 PM
I heard Kucharo's break makes Bustamante's look like a joke. Is that true?

DavidMorris
01-03-2005, 12:49 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote nhp:</font><hr> I heard Kucharo's break makes Bustamante's look like a joke. Is that true? <hr /></blockquote>
I haven't seen Kucharo play, but always thought Django had one of the (if not the) consistently biggest breaks of the pros especially given his size. But then I saw Larry Nevel on ESPN this weekend. Not much cueball control, but damn he can hit hard! The ball left the table twice, once bouncing off the top of the rail and returning to the table, the other time it went flying out of camera range. The other balls were a blur as they scattered... /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

I can't remember who it was playing, but there was another televised match recently where the breaker dropped SIX balls on the break. If you could bottle up that technique and sell it, you'd be rich overnight!

BLACKHEART
01-03-2005, 01:42 PM
It's odd that this would come up ,because DAVE, who posts here &amp; I were just talking,last week, about John &amp; why he dropped off the radar...JER

Pechauer_player
01-03-2005, 02:41 PM
Yea I just wanted to see what happened to him. He plays pretty good in some accu stats I have and I thought he would become a top 10 player, but then he just kind of disappeared. Is he planning on playing in any pro tournaments ever?

cueball1950
01-03-2005, 03:20 PM
I believe that was Alex who made the 6 balls on the break. And then could not get out. No shot after the break...but what a break..................mike

Chris Cass
01-03-2005, 03:32 PM
Hi nhp,

Jon' break is very strong but if you want to go by pecking order it would be.

1) Jamie Baraks
2) Mike Uzelak (sp)
3) Jon Kucharo
4) Larry Nevel
ect.

All these breaks were taken by watching and learning from Johnny Archer' break.

PS: Midwest players list. jmho

Regards,

C.C.~~Jesse Bowman is somewhere up near 3rd but I think Larry has him beat unless your talking controling the cb. IMHO

nhp
01-03-2005, 06:13 PM
Chris I heard that John only breaks 'hard' on occasion, I heard because it was too powerful, and if he loses control it goes flyin across the room. Anyways, I believe it was Grady Matthews quoted saying that he was practicing with John Kucharo and John was breaking them pretty hard, and Grady was pretty impressed, and then John said "I'm gonna start breaking them hard now" and when he did, Grady said his break made Bustamante's look like a joke, or childsplay, or something like that. Grady said this during an accustats video commentary with Billy Cress, I think it was Alex Pagulayan vs. Antonio Lining at a Reno tournament a few years ago.

JimS
01-03-2005, 09:59 PM
The break I've been watching him use here in Galesburg is pretty "average"...but controlled.

Chris Cass
01-03-2005, 11:50 PM
Hi nhp,

At one time I played Jon a set and he made nearly 3 balls on every break. Took the law of averages and threw it out the window. He's since found out that the control was the major factor since playing with the Sardo Gizmo. He then switched to the cut break.

The break means a lot for some people as these averages work out in their favor on some tables. Jon uses the table he's shooting on to his favor. If the table works well with the power break then, that's what he'll do. Since, the table is the thing to get control of to begin with.

What Jon is very good at is his ability to get the table speed down very quickly. I'd say between the first 3 racks or so. Baraks uses his break for more a intimidation factor. Your opponent seeing you smashing the rack to smitherines can, get a rise out of some opponents. Larry' good for that too. Unless your use to it. Then, it's a matter of control. The main concern is that the first 3 balls are locked or frozen to eachother. This eliminates the cb from going airbourne on the floor. However, in actuality the cb is air bourne about 2" from the headstring all the way till it hits the headball.

Jon' concern is getting a shot on the next ball. While making a ball on the break. He's tough when he's got control of whitey. Jon also plays expert level 8 ball on a bar box. Doesn't make many if any mistakes and can jump very well at close range.

Baraks,jumps well with his full cue now that I mentioned it. lol I seen Jon down once in a game hill -2 and he needed like 6 games. His ability to stay focused and not panic is uncany. He doesn't show a hint of rattle nor fear. He'll also shake your hand if you beat him no matter how you do it. If you don't beat Baraks the way he wants you to he'll never let you forget it from the moment one flaw has happened and will bring it to your attention right on the spot. Jon, well, he takes it all with a grain of salt and looks at it as if, you wouldn't have gotten there if he did something differently. Otherwise, you just plain had control and there was nothing he could do about it anyway.

Funny, how there's so many talented players from out here by me. Yet, winning and losing makes all the differnce in your reputation.

Like opponents they all bring something different to the table. Some use shooting the balls hard and look focused and shoot with force to intimidate. They do this for both the opponents intimidation and to keep themselves in the game.

While others finnesse and stroke the balls moving around the table as if it were their home. (thinking of the Cheesemouse) Both can be very intimidating. Shooting styles I guess? Bottom line is they all are tough to beat.

Regards,

C.C.~~JMHO