PDA

View Full Version : Queer Eye for the Straight Girl?

Deeman2
01-03-2005, 10:48 AM
Now, I understand the concept for Queer Eye for the Straight Guy. We know that male homosexuals have had a reputation for the cosmetic and fashion arts and their fixing up some of us poorly dressed straight guys is pretty effective for a TV format. Now I see they are starting a show on Bravo for the girls as well. My question is this. Are lesbian women known for their contributions to style or is this just an attempt to give an equal voice to homosexual women? If so, not a bad thing in itself but will it be effective?

Before quickly branding me as homophobic, listen to this for a second and let me know the right answers. I have been exposed to gay women in both professional and social settings but have not found them to be particularily fashion conscience nor even the overtly open ones interested in a dressing up other women in their type of clothing, understanding that secretly gay women do not draw attention to themselves by their dress.

Will they get the straight girls into big wallets in their back pocket and more sheet metal in their faces? Or is this just a steriotype. If so, why have the gay women not fought this image? As gay men, in many cases, display characteristics that historically label them as gay (these are pronounced and applauded on Queer Eye for the Straight Guy), so too are the gay women thought to have mannerisms that portray their choice. Not one of these, that I am aware of, lead me to believe that they have a lot to contribute to the manner and demeanor of straight women. Am I totally wrong here?

Is there a sub-culture of gay women who are antithetical to the sterotype we now see in movies that show them in a less than fashion conscience setting? If so, why has this not become an icon of gay women as it has with the men?

It does seem sort of stupid, to me anyway, if they started a Straight Eye for the Queer Guy as I don't think we have a lot to contribute to the gay male's fashion sense. In that same vane, does this make sense to any of you? If a gay woman out there will set me straight (no double meaning here, I think), I'll listen. I just don't understand this reasoning.

Deeman

Wally_in_Cincy
01-03-2005, 11:43 AM
I think it's the the queer guys who will be making over the straight girls (might be the same crew)

If I am wrong we are going to be seeing a lot of lumberjack shirts in the near future.

Wally <~~ thinks "Queer Eye" is quite entertaining

9 Ball Girl
01-03-2005, 11:49 AM
I've seen the ad for the new Queer Guy for the Straight Girl and the one woman who is part of the group, I'm assuming, is gay. And not because she has the stereotypical short hairdo either. Anyway,

there are tons and tons of beautiful gay women out there who are ultra feminine and one would never know it because we're so used to pinpointing out the ones that are obviously gay (short dos, baggy clothing, etc.)

Now, I'm thinking that they're going to be making over straight women who are feminine but don't know how to exude it?

Wally_in_Cincy
01-03-2005, 11:54 AM
It's 3 queer guys and a hot lesbian

http://www.bravotv.com/Queer_Eye_for_the_Straight_Girl/Gal_Pals/

I don't think she wears much flannel

Deeman2
01-03-2005, 12:30 PM
Gee, I thought I had locked onto a real new show. I guess they mostly agree with my assessment but I liked the seniero I put forward better!! /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif<blockquote><font class="small">Quote 9 Ball Girl:</font><hr> I've seen the ad for the new Queer Guy for the Straight Girl and the one woman who is part of the group, I'm assuming, is gay. <font color="blue">I guess I didn't look closely enough at the ad. So what's new? </font color> And not because she has the stereotypical short hairdo either. <font color="blue"> Her Bio on the site says she's gay. </font color> Anyway,

there are tons and tons of beautiful gay women out there who are ultra feminine and one would never know it because we're so used to pinpointing out the ones that are obviously gay (short dos, baggy clothing, etc.) <font color="blue"> That's fair as you'd most likely never know who the beautiful gay ones are since they don't wear signs. </font color>

Now, I'm thinking that they're going to be making over straight women who are feminine but don't know how to exude it? <font color="blue"> So my faniasy of two hot chicks on the make-out was rather hasty? Just Kidding!!!</font color> <hr /></blockquote>

Deeman
never figured why a straight guy is into two women making out....maybe it's that subliminal gay gene thing...

SpiderMan
01-03-2005, 02:14 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Deeman2:</font><hr> As gay men, in many cases, display characteristics that historically label them as gay (these are pronounced and applauded on Queer Eye for the Straight Guy), so too are the gay women thought to have mannerisms that portray their choice. Not one of these, that I am aware of, lead me to believe that they have a lot to contribute to the manner and demeanor of straight women. Am I totally wrong here? Deeman
<hr /></blockquote>

Maybe the lesbians could coach the straight women at tennis, golf, and pool /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

SpiderMan

pooltchr
01-03-2005, 02:14 PM
For some real fun, I think they need to take the original premise of the show and turn it around. Let 4 rednecks take a gay guy out deer hunting for the weekend!!!!
/ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif
Before everyone gets all upset....IT"S A JOKE!!!!!!

Chopstick
01-03-2005, 02:51 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote pooltchr:</font><hr> For some real fun, I think they need to take the original premise of the show and turn it around. Let 4 rednecks take a gay guy out deer hunting for the weekend!!!!
/ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif
Before everyone gets all upset....IT"S A JOKE!!!!!! <hr /></blockquote>

Hey, no redneck bashing. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

ChopStick &lt;~~~RedNeck

Deeman2
01-03-2005, 02:55 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote pooltchr:</font><hr> For some real fun, I think they need to take the original premise of the show and turn it around. Let 4 rednecks take a gay guy out deer hunting for the weekend!!!!
Before everyone gets all upset....IT"S A JOKE!!!!!!

<font color="blue"> I know you're only joking but I think a few guys from Texas did that and they're serving 20 to life now....</font color> <hr /></blockquote>

Deeman
Wonders how Carson would look in plaid overalls...

SecaucusFats
01-03-2005, 09:27 PM

I can see it now:

A snaggle toothed hillbilly kid playing a banjo on the porch of a dilapidated old cabin,then..

Cue "Dueling Banjos" -- "Squeal like a pig boy!Squeal like a pig!" Yeeehawww! /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Before everyone gets all upset....IT"S A JOKE!!!!!! <hr /></blockquote>

SF

pooltchr
01-04-2005, 08:04 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Chopstick:</font><hr> Hey, no redneck bashing. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

ChopStick &lt;~~~RedNeck <hr /></blockquote>

Far from it! I grew up in the south...in southern pool rooms no less! Some of my best friends are rednecks!

Deeman2
01-04-2005, 08:16 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote pooltchr:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote Chopstick:</font><hr> Hey, no redneck bashing. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

ChopStick &lt;~~~RedNeck <hr /></blockquote>

Far from it! I grew up in the south...in southern pool rooms no less! Some of my best friends are rednecks! <hr /></blockquote>

<font color="blue"> Watch it, Pooltchr, you're a little close to the Mason-Dixon line for Chopstick's taste. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

We of the Brotherhood of Snake Handling, Shallow Water Redneck Society have far reaching influence and can even impact your dental plan if you tease us a too much. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Put your gun down Chopstick, he's with the North Carolina Branch.... /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif </font color>

Deeman

pooltchr
01-04-2005, 12:56 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Deeman2:</font><hr> Put your gun down Chopstick, he's with the North Carolina Branch.... /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif </font color>

Deeman <hr /></blockquote>

The Charlotte branch to be more specific. I've logged enough hours at the NASCAR races to validate my membership!

Chopstick
01-05-2005, 05:47 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote pooltchr:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote Deeman2:</font><hr> Put your gun down Chopstick, he's with the North Carolina Branch.... /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif </font color>

Deeman <hr /></blockquote>

The Charlotte branch to be more specific. I've logged enough hours at the NASCAR races to validate my membership! <hr /></blockquote>

Charlotte, Home of The Big Show, and my hero Robert D. Raeford. Mad Max going off on PETA was my favorite. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif
NASCAR, "I went to a fight and a race broke out!" /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

pooltchr
01-05-2005, 10:29 AM
John Boy and Billy ROCK!
Billy just got a new pool table last month. I'm going to try to hook him up with some lessons. He got all Sterling 2 piece cues in place of standard house cues, and we fixed him up with a custom accessory package to go with the table.

If I see them, should I tell them you said "Duh, Huh!!"?
Steve