PDA

View Full Version : What book(s) should I read?

jon_galang
01-04-2005, 02:10 PM
Hello everyone,

I'm new, so go easy on me. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

I used to play back in high school, but I dropped off for the past 5 or 6 years and have only begun to pick it up again. I entered my very first tourney last night and placed 2nd. Now I'm hooked all over again with renewed focus on tourneys. I know that practice makes perfect, but knowledge helps. Now my question: What's the best pool-related book out there? I've heard some things about "Play Your Best Pool" by Philip Capelle, and I'd like to know what you think about it. Is it a helpful book?

Thanks for the assist. Sorry for the long post. /ccboard/images/graemlins/blush.gif

Jon

Wally_in_Cincy
01-04-2005, 02:16 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote jon_galang:</font><hr> I've heard some things about "Play Your Best Pool" by Philip Capelle, and I'd like to know what you think about it. Is it a helpful book?

<hr /></blockquote>

that's a perfect place to start.

Deeman2
01-04-2005, 02:29 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote jon_galang:</font><hr> Hello everyone,

I'm new, so go easy on me. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif <font color="blue"> We are mostly gentle with new victims. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smirk.gif </font color>

I used to play back in high school, <font color="blue"> Thank-you for not saying you played your way through college. </font color> but I dropped off for the past 5 or 6 years and have only begun to pick it up again. I entered my very first tourney last night and placed 2nd. Now I'm hooked all over again with renewed focus on tourneys. I know that practice makes perfect, but knowledge helps. Now my question: What's the best pool-related book out there? I've heard some things about "Play Your Best Pool" by Philip Capelle, and I'd like to know what you think about it. Is it a helpful book? <font color="blue"> I agree with young Wally, and if it's 9 ball you are playing, follow this one up with Phil's "Play your Best Nine Ball." </font color>

Thanks for the assist. Sorry for the long post. <font color="blue"> No Problem. You obviously have not been around long enough to see one of my long posts. Have fun.</font color> /ccboard/images/graemlins/blush.gif

Jon <hr /></blockquote>

DavidMorris
01-04-2005, 03:41 PM
I highly recommend Bob Byrne's books as well, particularly:

Standard Book of Pool &amp; Billiards (http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0156005549/qid=1104878754/sr=8-4/ref=pd_csp_4/103-5667339-8583057?v=glance&amp;s=books&amp;n=507846)
Advanced Techniques in Pool &amp; Billiards (http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0156149710/qid=1104878822/sr=8-8/ref=sr_8_xs_ap_i8_xgl14/103-5667339-8583057?v=glance&amp;s=books&amp;n=507846)

There are lots more too, but these two books were my favorites when I started moving from ball banger to really understanding the concepts of the game.

woody_968
01-04-2005, 04:15 PM
As the others have said Play Your Best Pool would be a good start. I would also suggest ordering A Mind for Pool while your at it (also written by Capelle). I have Play Your Best Straight Pool, and Play Your Best Nine Ball. I know he talks about nine ball and eight ball in his Play Your Best Pool, so I dont know if there is much overlaping material in those books.

JPB
01-04-2005, 04:30 PM
I was in almost your exact position a couple years ago, but my layoff was longer. I think the capelle books are fine for what they are, good for what they are actually, but be VERY careful taking his advice on some fundamentals. For grip, set up, and stroke I strongly suggest you find a good instructor and work with him. Scott Lee has been recommended here and is who I have worked with and recommend, but whoever you go with, find a good instructor. Buy the capelle books too, but find a good teacher.

dmgwalsh
01-04-2005, 04:49 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote JPB:</font><hr> I was in almost your exact position a couple years ago, but my layoff was longer. I think the capelle books are fine for what they are, good for what they are actually, but be VERY careful taking his advice on some fundamentals. For grip, set up, and stroke I strongly suggest you find a good instructor and work with him. Scott Lee has been recommended here and is who I have worked with and recommend, but whoever you go with, find a good instructor. Buy the capelle books too, but find a good teacher. <hr /></blockquote>

I stumbled upon an old post of mine from almost two years ago that asked the same question and along with the suggested books was a strong recommendation that I go to an instructor. which I did, which happened to be Scott Lee.

It would be very good if you could get someone like Scott to look at your stroke, videtape it and point you in the right direction. It would save you a lot of time. Dennis

DavidMorris
01-04-2005, 06:33 PM
I just wanted to chime back in and state that, while books are great, I definitely concur with everybody else who said get an instructor to work with you on the fundamentals before you develop bad habits on your own.

I've got a rather large billiard bookshelf, with most of the popular books on the subject, and have been studying the finer aspects of the game for over 20 years. 18 months ago I spent an entire day with Scott Lee at my home. I learned things in that session that immediately improved my game, despite all the self-study. Having a pro critique and guide you is indispensible, at any time, but especially when starting out.

Bob_Jewett
01-04-2005, 06:40 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote DavidMorris:</font><hr> I just wanted to chime back in and state that, while books are great, I definitely concur with everybody else who said get an instructor to work with you on the fundamentals before you develop bad habits on your own.
... <hr /></blockquote>
I have had students who have read something and they felt they understood it, but they completely failed to get the point until they actually shot example shots demonstrating the principle. The only book I had for a long time was Mosconi's "Winning Pocket Billiards," and I had to read it several times to mostly understand it. It is a much smaller, simpler book than most on the market today.

Note: if you cannot find three mistakes in a pool book, you probably don't understand what the author is saying (or the author is very, very exceptional). Homework: find three major errors in "Winning Pocket Billiards."

Popcorn
01-04-2005, 07:22 PM
"Homework: find three major errors in "Winning Pocket Billiards."

Just going from memory, in the section where he is talking about using the bridge he refers to the cue as being almost 6 feet long. Of course he meant 5 feet. I will take another look at the book for the errors, you have me curious now.

Cueless Joey
01-04-2005, 07:50 PM
I believe in the book the line of aim was mixed up with the contact point on angled shots.
Also, the balance point of cue as a basis where to hold the cue.

recoveryjones
01-04-2005, 09:11 PM
I have the following books:

INSTRUCTIONAL
Phil Capelle-Play Your Best Nine Ball
Standard Book of Pool and Billiards, by Robert Byrne
Advanced Technique in Pool and Billiards, by Robert Byrne
The Science of Pocket Billiards, by Jack Koehler
99 Critical Shots in Pool, by Ray Martin
The Pro Book, by Bob Henning

MENTAL
The Inner Game of Tennis- Timothy Gallway
Pleasures of Small Motions, by Bob Fancher
Phil Capelle-A Mind for Pool

All of these books are good to excellent. Find a good instructor to make sure your stroking right and with these books,the sky's the limit.RJ

bomber
01-05-2005, 07:24 AM
Hey, I played my way through college....thank god my parents were rich! lol

Just kidding, i hate hearing that statement.

DavidMorris
01-05-2005, 07:30 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote bomber:</font><hr> Hey, I played my way through college....thank god my parents were rich! lol

Just kidding, i hate hearing that statement. <hr /></blockquote>
I have one of those know-it-all brothers in law. He gave me that line when he found out I liked to shoot pool. Then we played. Let's just say I hope he had a scholarship. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

&lt;~~~ also hopes his BIL doesn't read the CCB /ccboard/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

bomber
01-05-2005, 08:43 AM
ha ha ha....funny stuff

Wally_in_Cincy
01-05-2005, 11:05 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote DavidMorris:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote bomber:</font><hr> I have one of those know-it-all brothers in law. He gave me that line when he found out I liked to shoot pool. Then we played. Let's just say I hope he had a scholarship. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

<hr /></blockquote>

The last time I heard a guy say that I called him out of course. Unfortunately he beat me /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif.

Not by much but I still lost.

Usually anybody that says that can't hit a lick.

Wally_in_Cincy
01-05-2005, 11:08 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Bob_Jewett:</font><hr>

Homework: find three major errors in "Winning Pocket Billiards." <hr /></blockquote>

How about if I find 3 in the diagrams in this month's slew of billiard magazine instructuional columns? /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

not yours of course Bob /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif

dr_dave
01-05-2005, 11:22 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote jon_galang:</font><hr>What's the best pool-related book out there? I've heard some things about "Play Your Best Pool" by Philip Capelle, and I'd like to know what you think about it. Is it a helpful book?<hr /></blockquote>
Phil's books are excellent. All of Byrne's book are also great (especially his "Complete Book of Pool Shots"). I also have a new book out, of which I am very proud ("The Illustrated Principles of Pool and Billiards"). Based on the hundreds of testimonials I have received the last few months, many people in your position have also found the resources on my website (http://www.engr.colostate.edu/~dga/pool/) (especially the video demonstrations and articles) useful.

Good luck with your game!

Paul_Mon
01-05-2005, 11:59 AM
You don't mention if the tournament is 9 ball or 8 ball. That said I'm suprised that nobody mentioned "Advanced Pool" by George Fels. Excellent book for the 14.1 player with good info on 8 ball and 9 ball. Not a book for someone looking for the basics but great for mental developement and stategy.

Paul Mon

Harold Acosta
01-05-2005, 02:02 PM
99 Critical Shots - Robert Byrne

DavidMorris
01-05-2005, 02:29 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Harold Acosta:</font><hr> 99 Critical Shots - Robert Byrne <hr /></blockquote>

99CS is by Ray Martin, not Bob Byrne. Maybe you're confusing it with "Byrne's Complete Book of Pool Shots: 350 Moves Every Player Should Know"?

stickman
01-05-2005, 02:42 PM
Robert Byrne's books are good.(Byrne's new standard book of pool and billiards &amp; Advanced technique in pool and billiards) I have those two. I also liked "The pleasure of small motions". Byrne's books deal with teaching the physical technique of playing, while "small motions" attempts to help you master the mental aspects of the game. I lost this book in a divorce, I guess I'll have to order it again. It's worth reading again from time to time.

RackemandCrackem
11-17-2005, 06:37 AM
Hello,

This is my first reply/post so go very easy on me also. There are listed some very great books. I have all the ones listed and more. I also have quite a few videos also.

My Pool game was pretty good and this summer I wanted to bring it up to the next level. I was lucky enough to be able to travel and receive lessons from one of the best teachers. A good instructor can find the flaws in your different areas. He had me change a very important part of my stroke. He IS very good. My Pool game is even more enjoyable now. It did jump to the next level, probably even jump up 2 to 3 levels from where it was.

If you can find a good instructor who CAN teach (not all great players can teach) please take a lesson. You will be glad you did.

Remember that if you wanted to learn to play golf, "Would you go to see Tiger Woods, OR the guy who teaches Tiger Woods"?

Well this is my first post and I am not sure if this is too long, but I am just so very excited about how much He (Thanks Jerry) helped my game.

Greg

If I click the right button you will be able to read this.

wolfdancer
11-17-2005, 12:56 PM
Jon, I think the Capelle book is well written, and I used to sell quite a few, when I was working. Robert Byrne's first book was also good....but 1/2 of it was devoted to billiards.
You can't learn "feel" though from a book, you won't know if your misses are caused by alginment errors, or if your stroke is what it should be.It's also easy to misunderstand something the author has written, or as Mr Jewett has stated...an error he has authored.
I read lots of books, watched lots of tapes....never took a decent lesson...and played for years without a good stroke, without a good setup....
Since you are starting out again...find someone who will teach you good mechanics ....and avoid my mistake.