PDA

View Full Version : Stickmen

sack316
01-04-2005, 10:34 PM
Hey all, I placed an order for Stickmen at the movie store I'm working at, but it's going to be about 6 weeks until we can get it. For anyone who has seen it, is it worth buying (I can still get my deposit back)?

9 Ball Girl
01-05-2005, 06:24 AM
I've seen it. IMO, it's worth buying for 2 reasons. 1. You just have to add it to your collection. And 2. It actually wasn't that bad.

The only thing that I had trouble with was understanding their dialect and accent. I had to watch it a 2nd time. Come to think of it, since English is what they're speaking, maybe I'll put it so that I can see subtitles in Spanish. I can't remember if it actually offered subtitles.

Bob_Jewett
01-05-2005, 01:01 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote 9 Ball Girl:</font><hr> I've seen it. IMO, it's worth buying for 2 reasons. 1. You just have to add it to your collection. And 2. It actually wasn't that bad.
... <hr /></blockquote>
I would agree with reason #1. It did not make me as uncomfortable as some other pool movies have -- perhaps due to my mellowing with age -- but the story is mildly lame (as opposed to horribly lame). And then there's the gratuitous sex.

DavidMorris
01-05-2005, 01:11 PM
I've heard of this one but haven't seen it. Isn't it from the same folks who did "Lock, Stock, and 2 Smoking Barrels"? I believe I read that is virtually the exact same movie as LS&amp;2SB, only with a pool theme.

It wouldn't take much to be better than PHJ. Which I watched again recently. Only mildly entertaining (thanks to Walken) but the dialog and pool playing is dreadful...

daviddjmp
01-05-2005, 01:17 PM
I have seen it and it is worth getting IMO. The language is a little hard to understand, kinda like The Full Monty dialect, but the story is pretty good for a B movie and it is about pool and has entertainment value. It is way better than PHJ.

Anybody seen the Baltimore Bullet? Is that worth renting?

bomber
01-05-2005, 01:28 PM
the baltimore bullet is one of those movies that is real bad but who cares, its great anyways. if you are looking for an academy award winning picture...dont rent the baltimore bullet....but if ya wanna watch a pool movie with some funny lines and a decent acting job by james coburn, rent it.

Cane
01-05-2005, 05:55 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote 9 Ball Girl:</font><hr> The only thing that I had trouble with was understanding their dialect and accent. I had to watch it a 2nd time. <hr /></blockquote>

Having made some trips to New Zealand Flyfishing, I enjoyed it first time around. It definitely helped to be able to understand the accents and the meaning of some of the terms used in the movie... like "dollies", "the black", a "Sheila", etc, etc, etc.

In any case, the movie is enjoyable. I rented it first, then bought it and added it to my Pool Movie Collection.

Later,
Bob

SpiderMan
01-06-2005, 08:26 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Cane:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote 9 Ball Girl:</font><hr> The only thing that I had trouble with was understanding their dialect and accent. I had to watch it a 2nd time. <hr /></blockquote>

Having made some trips to New Zealand Flyfishing, I enjoyed it first time around. It definitely helped to be able to understand the accents and the meaning of some of the terms used in the movie... like "dollies", "the black", a "Sheila", etc, etc, etc.

In any case, the movie is enjoyable. I rented it first, then bought it and added it to my Pool Movie Collection.

Later,
Bob <hr /></blockquote>

Bob,

Are the actors' accents similar to those in the movie "Trainspotting"? That was another one that some folks said they had trouble understanding, though I didn't have any problems (except that it was about as depressing as "Eraserhead").

SpiderMan

Popcorn
01-06-2005, 09:21 AM
Most movies if you know something about the subject matter you will not really like and may even get you crazy because of the BS. I don't like the COM but can detach myself and find it entertaining.

Wally_in_Cincy
01-06-2005, 10:42 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Popcorn:</font><hr> Most movies if you know something about the subject matter you will not really like and may even get you crazy because of the BS. I don't like the COM but can detach myself and find it entertaining. <hr /></blockquote>

How true. Most forensic investigators regard CSI as a joke.

DavidMorris
01-06-2005, 11:03 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Wally_in_Cincy:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote Popcorn:</font><hr> Most movies if you know something about the subject matter you will not really like and may even get you crazy because of the BS. I don't like the COM but can detach myself and find it entertaining. <hr /></blockquote>
How true. Most forensic investigators regard CSI as a joke. <hr /></blockquote>
And being a software engineer I cringe everytime they show some "hacker" or character doing some whiz-bang hacking or programming in a movie. But I can look past it if the movie is good -- I thought Swordfish with John Travolta was a kick-a$$ movie even though the computer hacking stuff was ludicrous. And don't get me started on "The Net"...

Cueless Joey
01-06-2005, 11:12 AM
You mean you can't plant a trojan and hack the US military network in 60 seconds while a gun is pointed at your head while your lap is busy?
You just spoiled it for me. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif
Hollywood physics is laughable now.
But, it's Hollywood's stupidity with guns that drive me nuts.
In Leathal Weapon, Mel Gibson drops the hammer of his Beretta while pointing the gun at his partner's wife.
Beretta's have drop hammer safety and you never point the gun at someone while you drop the hammer.