PDA

View Full Version : "START( ..." The Wei RSB Pool Table

dr_dave
01-05-2005, 11:40 AM
When people post example shots using the Wei RSB Pool Table codes, for example:

START(
%Ao0N4%Bo5M4%Pp1T9%Ws1G0%Xn8N8%[o6O7%\p0T7%]r9D5%^o7L8
)END

please include a link to the website where the illustrations can be viewed, for example:

RSB Pool Table (http://endeavor.med.nyu.edu/%7Ewei/pool/)

The cryptic "START" codes are very intimidating to newcomers, and it would be much easier to access the site if the link were in the message.

Thanks /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

PQQLK9
01-05-2005, 11:52 AM
I think several suggestions have been made to the administrators to include the Wei link on the pages, but to no avail. /ccboard/images/graemlins/confused.gif

dr_dave
01-05-2005, 12:00 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote PQQLK9:</font><hr> I think several suggestions have been made to the administrators to include the Wei link on the pages, but to no avail. /ccboard/images/graemlins/confused.gif <hr /></blockquote>
I am suggesting that anyone who includes Wei codes in their messages should also include the link, or at least the URL:

endeavor.med.nyu.edu/~wei/pool/

This would be a great help.

GeraldG
01-05-2005, 12:03 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote dr_dave:</font><hr> When people post example shots using the Wei RSB Pool Table codes, for example:

START(
%Ao0N4%Bo5M4%Pp1T9%Ws1G0%Xn8N8%[o6O7%\p0T7%]r9D5%^o7L8
)END

please include a link to the website where the illustrations can be viewed, for example:

RSB Pool Table (http://endeavor.med.nyu.edu/%7Ewei/pool/)

The cryptic "START" codes are very intimidating to newcomers, and it would be much easier to access the site if the link were in the message.

Thanks /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif <hr /></blockquote>

Thanks, Dr. Dave! I've been trying to figure this out for a couple of days now.

DavidMorris
01-05-2005, 12:07 PM
It's always been sort of a rule to do so, and most have been including the link when diagrams are posted. I've been lax about it lately only because the link doesn't work for me, the Flash animation loads extremely slowly and then hangs. So I have the WEI saved locally on my harddrive and load it from there.

I'm lazy and don't always look up the address every time I post a WEI diagram. Sorry. Maybe we should all just add it to our sigs. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

9 Ball Girl
01-05-2005, 12:25 PM
Ironically, I posted something on the subject almost exactly 2 years ago:

Read It (http://www.billiardsdigest.com/ccboard/showflat.php?Cat=&amp;Board=suggestions&amp;Number=55578&amp;p age=1&amp;view=collapsed&amp;sb=5&amp;o=&amp;fpart=1)

Rod
01-05-2005, 12:34 PM
I think your right Nick. It's a shame they don't put a link here, every other forum does. Personally I don't have a link to the wei table and even if I did, now I'm on dial up so it takes to much time. For those interested in such they should put it on their desk top and the link isn't necessary. If I have plenty of time to do the link I will, if not ----. LOL

Rod

Wally_in_Cincy
01-05-2005, 12:41 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote DavidMorris:</font><hr>
...I have the WEI saved locally on my harddrive and load it from there.
<hr /></blockquote>

I've been meaning to ask, how do you do that?

DavidMorris
01-05-2005, 12:50 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Wally_in_Cincy:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote DavidMorris:</font><hr>
...I have the WEI saved locally on my harddrive and load it from there.
<hr /></blockquote>

I've been meaning to ask, how do you do that? <hr /></blockquote>

Try here:

http://endeavor.med.nyu.edu/~wei/pool/pooltable2_help.html#download

For some reason that site loads excruciatingly slow for me, which is probably why the WEI never loads for me from there. The link I'm posting above is taking forever to finish loading, but if you can get to it there should be a ZIP archive there that you can download and unzip to a local directory. Then put a link on your desktop or in your browser favorites to the local pooltable2.html file.

bsmutz
01-05-2005, 12:50 PM
Wally,
Once you've loaded the page in a browser by following the link provided by Dave above, click on "File Save As" on the top left of your browser (hopefully Internet Explorer) and then select where you would like to save it. Choose your desktop for handy reference. It saves the file as a .htm and it won't work if you try to rename it on your desktop. I saved it in a folder on my C drive and then created a shortcut to it on my desktop. Using Windows Explorer or My Computer, find your way to the file on your C drive. Right click on it and select "Create Shortcut", then click &amp; drag the created shortcut onto your desktop. You'll have to resize the window it's in first if you have it full screen.

DavidMorris
01-05-2005, 01:03 PM
Yes, you can also do that save the site from the link in Internet Explorer. Sometimes that picks up some extraneous garbage or folders though.

If you want the ZIP (actually now that I look at it, it's a self-extracting archive file) and can't get it from the above link, here's a link to one of my web hosts where I've uploaded it.

http://www.morrisonthenet.com/billiards/wei/pooltable2_install.exe

Please keep that link within the CCB for bandwidth reasons. It's a tiny file, but a bazillion hits from "the wild" might cause me problems. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

dr_dave
01-05-2005, 01:37 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote 9 Ball Girl:</font><hr> Ironically, I posted something on the subject almost exactly 2 years ago:
Read It (http://www.billiardsdigest.com/ccboard/showflat.php?Cat=&amp;Board=suggestions&amp;Number=55578&amp;p age=1&amp;view=collapsed&amp;sb=5&amp;o=&amp;fpart=1)<hr /></blockquote>
That's a great reference with very clear instructions. Good job! Now, if we keep reminding people, maybe they will become more sensitive to the forum participants that don't know what all the weird code means.

Another thing I wish we were also more sensitive to is the use of acronyms (IMO, LOL, etc.). People that don't know whay these are might feel left out of the "good-ole-boy" network. Maybe somebody knows a link to a good resource that defines all of these (and/or maybe we can start using them less).

stickman
01-05-2005, 01:59 PM
I have it on my desktop. Use this link and download the self extracting file. http://endeavor.med.nyu.edu/~wei/pool/pooltable2_help.html

You can then put it on your desktop and open the Wei table without having to connect to the internet. Always handy. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

dr_dave
01-05-2005, 02:12 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote stickman:</font><hr> I have it on my desktop.<hr /></blockquote>
That's a great idea, but not everybody has it on their desktop; although, I plan to add it to mine ... maybe others will also. Regardless, IMHO (in my humble opinion), I think it is still a good idea to provide a link (http://endeavor.med.nyu.edu/%7Ewei/pool/) with any code.

stickman
01-05-2005, 02:21 PM
Dave, I edited my post and included the link to the self extracting file that will put the Wei table on your desktop. When you have extracted the file, double click the icon and the Wei table will work without even having to connect with the internet. This is much handier. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Jim

Wally_in_Cincy
01-05-2005, 02:24 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote dr_dave:</font><hr>
...Another thing I wish we were also more sensitive to is the use of acronyms (IMO, LOL, etc.). People that don't know whay these are might feel left out of the "good-ole-boy" network. Maybe somebody knows a link to a good resource that defines all of these (and/or maybe we can start using them less). <hr /></blockquote>

CCB acronyms (http://www.billiardsdigest.com/ccboard/showthreaded.php?Cat=&amp;Board=ccb&amp;Number=172855&amp;page =0&amp;view=expanded&amp;sb=6&amp;o=1&amp;fpart=&amp;vc=)

Fred Agnir
01-05-2005, 03:07 PM
When Wei made this version of the table, he had talked about making the code a clickable link that would set the the table. I don't know if he ever followed through with that. He was probably too busy growing his Elvis side burns.

Fred &lt;~~~ thinks Wei should be in the Hall of Fame

dr_dave
01-05-2005, 03:33 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Fred Agnir:</font><hr> When Wei made this version of the table, he had talked about making the code a clickable link that would set the the table. I don't know if he ever followed through with that. He was probably too busy growing his Elvis side burns.<hr /></blockquote>
If he did, that would be great. It would possibly make this whole discussion a mute point.

DavidMorris
01-05-2005, 04:36 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Fred Agnir:</font><hr> When Wei made this version of the table, he had talked about making the code a clickable link that would set the the table. <hr /></blockquote>
And it should be very easy to do, it would do away with START/END and the cut-n-paste, just pass the encoded string in as an HTTP parameter.

I don't know what Wei's feelings are about having others help him out with the development, but if he's interested I'd be willing to volunteer to make the change for him. If he's not planning to license or sell the RSB Table, he might not mind essentially making it open-source and letting others help him develop and maintain it.

Another useful feature for it would be the support for multiple frames, where you could setup a series of shots or before/after layouts and view them in succession without reloading the table for each one.

DavidMorris
01-05-2005, 04:42 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote dr_dave:</font><hr>If he did, that would be great. It would possibly make this whole discussion a mute point.<hr /></blockquote>
Oh, and Dr. Dave, not to bust your chops or anything, but I saw you use "mute" like this in another post and figured it was a typo.

I'm sure you know the correct term in that context is "moot." /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif

I make plenty of spelling and grammer mistakes myself, but something about mis-used words bugs me... /ccboard/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

dr_dave
01-05-2005, 04:46 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote DavidMorris:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote dr_dave:</font><hr>If he did, that would be great. It would possibly make this whole discussion a mute point.<hr /></blockquote>
Oh, and Dr. Dave, not to bust your chops or anything, but I saw you use "mute" like this in another post and figured it was a typo.

I'm sure you know the correct term in that context is "moot." /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif

I make plenty of spelling and grammer mistakes myself, but something about mis-used words bugs me... /ccboard/images/graemlins/tongue.gif <hr /></blockquote>
Thank you for the correction. I will do my best to not let it happen again. /ccboard/images/graemlins/blush.gif

bsmutz
01-05-2005, 06:10 PM
"I make plenty of spelling and grammer mistakes myself"

Like there is no such word as grammer but there is a grammar...

DavidMorris
01-05-2005, 07:23 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote bsmutz:</font><hr> "I make plenty of spelling and grammer mistakes myself"

Like there is no such word as grammer but there is a grammar... <hr /></blockquote>
I... ummm... I was testing you.

Yeah.

You passed. Pat yourself on the back. /ccboard/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Actually, little did you know I was referring to this. (http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=grammer) /ccboard/images/graemlins/blush.gif

Scott Lee
01-05-2005, 09:03 PM
Rod...I'm on dial up too. I have the WEI link saved on my favorites, so I can just add it whenever I want, to a post.
Funny, it seems to load up fine with my dial up on aol!

Scott

kyle
01-05-2005, 09:07 PM
Is there a way to post pictures? If so you can just post the wei as a jpeg and you wouldn't need to click anything.

Sid_Vicious
01-05-2005, 09:58 PM
I have either bookmarked it or put it on the desktop also a long time back, no problem...sid

DavidMorris
01-05-2005, 10:09 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote kyle:</font><hr> Is there a way to post pictures? If so you can just post the wei as a jpeg and you wouldn't need to click anything. <hr /></blockquote>
Yes, you can post links to pictures, however that would be even more work. The RSB table is a Flash/Shockwave program. The only way to capture it as a graphic is to screencap, which grabs the whole browser window to the clipboard (unless you have special screencap software running that lets you capture a region). The image then must be cropped out, saved, and then uploaded to some web host somewhere, and then linked into the post. Far more work than just cutting/pasting the layout directly.

dr_dave
01-06-2005, 08:37 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote kyle:</font><hr> Is there a way to post pictures? If so you can just post the wei as a jpeg and you wouldn't need to click anything.<hr /></blockquote>
As DavidMorris points out, you can only post links to images, and that would require first posting images on a web server (i.e., you would need to be a webmaster). I point to articles (with images) and videos on my website because they are there already. It would be a lot of work (and require skills that not everybody has) to post and link to new images (if they weren't already available).

Fred Agnir
01-06-2005, 02:58 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote DavidMorris:</font><hr> I don't know what Wei's feelings are about having others help him out with the development, but if he's interested I'd be willing to volunteer to make the change for him. <hr /></blockquote>I've forwarded your suggestion. In the meantime, this is what he told me tell everyone:

--------------------

Wei writes:

Hi Fred!

long time no see, how it goes?

it's not all that hard to do what you said. however, in the new version which i am working (or sleeping on) I will have it print out a link (ie. http://blahblahblah.com/table#kjarnLHSDLLIIU )

Well, i just need work more. <font color="red"> It's very nice so far, larger size, nicer graphic, prettier color, shorter string line, multi-pages, etc..
</font color>

best

wei
-----------------------------------

HTH,

Fred