PDA

View Full Version : Jennifer Berretta vs. Karen Corr

bsmutz
01-05-2005, 01:40 PM
I just watched the tape I made from yesterday's broadcast on ESPN. Congrats to Jennifer on her win. I'm curious what you guys think. I've watched several WPBA matches including over the weekend when we saw Melissa Herndon and Kelly Fisher for the first time (at least my first time) and thought it was odd that they did two segments during the match on Jennifer with interviews and some background info but didn't do the same for Kelly and Melissa. Is this because Jennifer is better looking (sexist), relatively newer to the tour, or is there some other reason that I am missing? I think it's a good idea since we all know quite a bit about Jeannette, Allison, and Karen, but I've never seen this for any other player, male or female and was wondering why.

Wally_in_Cincy
01-05-2005, 02:14 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote bsmutz:</font><hr>...thought it was odd that they did two segments during the match on Jennifer with interviews and some background info but didn't do the same for Kelly and Melissa. .... <hr /></blockquote>

They did 2 segments with Melissa during her Florida Classic match against Julie Kelly last night.

The Kelly Fisher match was from the US Open IIRC.

The interview segments were done like that for the Florida tournament only.

Deeman2
01-05-2005, 02:22 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote bsmutz:</font><hr> I just watched the tape I made from yesterday's broadcast on ESPN. Congrats to Jennifer on her win. I'm curious what you guys think. I've watched several WPBA matches including over the weekend when we saw Melissa Herndon and Kelly Fisher for the first time (at least my first time) and thought it was odd that they did two segments during the match on Jennifer with interviews and some background info but didn't do the same for Kelly and Melissa. Is this because Jennifer is better looking <font color="blue"> Yep, that's it. It may be unfortunate but that's show biz. </font color> (sexist), relatively newer to the tour, or is there some other reason that I am missing? I think it's a good idea since we all know quite a bit about Jeannette, Allison, and Karen, but I've never seen this for any other player, male or female and was wondering why. <hr /></blockquote> <font color="blue">

I really liked her play as well as seeing others who have no had camera time. I think they hinted the format made it easier for the less skilled ladies to make it to the TV rounds. I'm not sure, if this is the case, that it's fair but it sure was nice to see some other ladies play. I think they are all terriffic no matter how they might look to a TV producer. Everyone out there needs to understand there are some great players out there who may not look like Barbie but can come with the game. A lot of folks who don't ever make it to a tournament might think no one else can play the game. That's just not true. Go Girls!! I hope most of us can judge a person by how they hit balls, not what dress size they wear. You can see plenty of T &amp; A on the Volleyball Circuit if that's what you need.....</font color>

bsmutz
01-05-2005, 02:53 PM
Thanks Wally and Deeman, that explains it. I think it's cool that they did that and would like to see more. I also liked the way they showed the key shots from the games they skipped over. I haven't watched the Kelly/Herndon match yet nor the last two they are showing today. Sometimes they just gloss over the games they don't show during a match and you're left wondering what the heck happened. I know seeing Jennifer miss a couple of "easy" shots earlier to let Karen get to hill/hill made me wonder if Jennifer was going to be able to keep it together enough to make it through that last game, especially the 9-ball shot. Sometimes it's good not to know ahead of time what the outcome will be. That way you can sweat it out. Maybe one day a miracle will happen and they will show live pool on TV. (Saying my prayers and keeping my fingers crossed, except while I'm shooting.)

woody_968
01-05-2005, 02:57 PM
My #%&amp;* VCR didnt record the match yesterday, I am sooooo disapointed! I hope they show it again soon as I was really looking forward to watching someone other than the usual people playing.

Deeman2
01-06-2005, 06:49 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote bsmutz:</font><hr> Thanks Wally and Deeman, that explains it. I think it's cool that they did that and would like to see more. I also liked the way they showed the key shots from the games they skipped over. I haven't watched the Kelly/Herndon match yet nor the last two they are showing today. Sometimes they just gloss over the games they don't show during a match and you're left wondering what the heck happened. I know seeing Jennifer miss a couple of "easy" shots earlier to let Karen get to hill/hill made me wonder if Jennifer was going to be able to keep it together enough to make it through that last game, especially the 9-ball shot. Sometimes it's good not to know ahead of time what the outcome will be. That way you can sweat it out. Maybe one day a miracle will happen and they will show live pool on TV. (Saying my prayers and keeping my fingers crossed, except while I'm shooting.) <hr /></blockquote>

<font color="blue">bs,

Just happens I got a nice note from Jennifer last night saying it was hard to watch herself "dog" it on TV but was thrilled she came through in the end. I'd say it probably makes the victory even sweeter as it makes for a more thrilling match and being able to say you pulled it off against one of the greats of the game makes it even better.

I love watching fellow men play but these ladies have put together a sellable product and deserve the ESPN time they are getting. They didn't whine and complain when it was a lot thinner and they have proiven to be the smarter of the two sexes in making themselves marketable. </font color>

Deeman

SRpool
01-07-2005, 12:46 AM
The Florida event and the other events were produced by different production teams that is why they are different. The Florida event wanted to do interviews with about 20 different players, older, newer, younger, older, bigger, smaller. They just want to be sure to feature new players. I liked the new look of things. It filled in the blanks when they skipped games and seemed to be a better production. I hope they stick with that team.

Take care,
Sarah

johnnyt
01-07-2005, 02:21 AM
I too hope they use the same format at all WPBA events as they did at HardRock Cafe in FL.It's great to see new faces of players you read about but never see on tv.
Johnnyt

Scott Lee
01-07-2005, 02:49 AM
Sarah...That was definitely an improvement over other WPBA televised events. The interviews make all the difference, and it's so good to see new faces! I hope they use those folks again too!

Scott Lee

cuechick
01-07-2005, 03:57 AM
I suggest logging on to ESPN and emailing them praise about the production. I agree it was great to see the interviews...let them know!

9 Ball Girl
01-07-2005, 07:59 AM
Definitely the commercial break recap is the best! Hopefully they keep that feature because there's nothing worse than seeing a score of 1-1, go to a commercial break, come back and the score is now 4-1. The recaps are a must!