PDA

View Full Version : I'm in for a new camera (Digital that is)

Harold Acosta
01-05-2005, 04:06 PM
I've been holding for a while on buying a new digital camera. While holding, I'm now lost on what's with all the gadgets that the new cameras bring on today.

I have an old Camera (Chinon), wide angel lens, photo zoom lens, etc, but havent used it in about 10 years.

I'm looking into the 3.0 to 4.0 megapixels but I need to know more about the optical and zoom (3x optical, 3 x digital) lingo that some cameras describe now.

Anywhere I could get the info?

SpiderMan
01-05-2005, 04:43 PM
I'm sure everyone will have their opinions, but I like the review formats at http://www.imaging-resource.com.

SpiderMan

eg8r
01-05-2005, 05:07 PM
LOL, good luck on your search Harold. If you start worrying about all the specs, bells and whistles you will never enjoy the camera. This is if you are not a camera/photography person. From your post I am guessing you are not, so it would be a good idea to look for a good point and shoot camera. There are many good offerings out there, Olympus, Kodak, etc.

As far as your question on the zoom, the higher the optical the better. I might get this wrong, but digital zoom is an algorithm that magnifies the image, but it is not a true zoom. Here is a link (http://www.photoxels.com/article_zoom.html) with some good information.

I am the sort of person that will research something to death before I buy it, making sure I get everything I think I want. Then when I get the product it is so complicated it takes me forever to figure it out. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif I have a Nikon Coolpix 950. This was the cream of the crop digital camera of the day, except for Nikon's digital SLR offering, and it has just about everything a professional camera offers. What a great camera, the problem is that it has taken me forever to be able to use the camera and its bells and whistles. I find myself using my wife's point and click olympus the majority of the time.

I know you probably don't want to hear about it, but the megapixel numbers are tricky also. Most of the high megapixel cameras are interpolated. They (the ones with interpolated numbers) do not have a 4 megapixel CCD, in reality they only have a 2 megapixel CCD. The camera's software uses an algorithm to make up for the extra pixels. For a normal consumer, point and click person you probably will not notice the difference between an interpolated picture vs. a non-interpolated picture, until you start trying to enlarge the picture.

I am pretty sure if I ever need another digital camera I will just get an easy point and click camera and not worry about all the bells and whistles.

eg8r

highsea
01-05-2005, 05:16 PM
Optical zoom is done by the optics, digital is done by the computer. Optical is much better, you can crop and resize on your PC. I like the Fuji cameras, good values for the money. The S5100 is a nice 4MP CCD with a 10x optical zoom.

If you are a snap-shooter type, you want one with a fast response time. Digital cams need a second to focus, you can't just click and get instant response. If you can discipline yourself to pre-focus the shot by holding the button down halfway before you are ready to shoot, you will have better luck getting the shot you want. It takes a little practice.

Harold Acosta
01-05-2005, 07:34 PM
Good site, lots of info. Looks like it will take me a while to decide.

Thanks SpiderMan

Harold Acosta
01-05-2005, 07:42 PM
Thanks eg8r. This was the info I was looking for.

Harold Acosta
01-05-2005, 07:50 PM
Thanks highsea for the info. I've gather enough info to keep me busy a couple of days. I need the camera for snapshots of our players. I have PhotoSuite for the images, and have done some croping/resizing.

Thanks for the recommendation on the Fuji. I had been looking at the Sony's, Canon, and Kodaks. Too many brands to choose from. I'll have to do some homework.

stickman
01-05-2005, 07:58 PM
I have the Konica Minolta Z1. They are very reasonably priced now. When I bought mine it was new and more expensive. It has a 10x optical zoom and a 4 times digital zoom. The 3.3 megapixels is fine for up to 8x10" enlargements, unless you crop the original heavily. I'm very happy with mine. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif