PDA

View Full Version : Eyesight... Hope this helps!!!

Cane
01-05-2005, 06:19 PM
Well, tomorrow at 2pm I go under the laser for Lasik Surgery. I had my final consult from the Doctor today and he is very positive about the results we can achieve. I'm having the "cream of the crop" surgery done, which includes a procedure called "Wavefront" aka CustomVue. It's a more refined (and more expensive) procedure that, as it was explained to me was like the difference between owning a regular TV and HDTV. I figured if I was going to spend that much money, why not spend a thousand more and get the best results I can.

In any case, I should have new eyes for the South Padre Island 9-Ball tourney. No more contacts to dry out in pool rooms, no more HyWyd Decots to hurt my already prominent nose and irritate the back of my ears. The Dr. told me that he felt like he could improve my intermediate vision, my 3 to 12 foot vision, significantly over what I get with the Decots, which is 20/20 right 20/25 left. Hmmmm... I wonder what the balls really look like???? /ccboard/images/graemlins/confused.gif

I'll give an update sometime this weekend or next week after I start my practice routines again. He said I could probably start playing again on Friday. I'm anxious to "Git 'er done" as Larry the Cable Guy would say.

Later,
Bob (will post again when I feel comfortable in front of the 'puter)

Rod
01-05-2005, 08:07 PM
Well good luck Bob. Spending a grand extra seems worth while. I mean your there, might as well go for the option when it comes to the only pair of eyes you have. Sort of like buying a car without a radio and heater. /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

I'm in the same boat, contacts or Decots. Hell I can't see out of the glasses. I think I'll just sell the frames, I've only worn them a few times. With a cataract I'll have to wait. I sure would like to know what those balls really look like. LOL I hope your vision is just what you expect. A pool player without eyes has it's problems.

Rod

stickman
01-05-2005, 08:35 PM
I wish I had got the Lasik Surgery, instead of the boob job for my ex-wife. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif Like the guy on the Harley commercial, and he got the dinette, instead of a Harley. HaHa Good luck, I hope you have great results.

Jim

Scott Lee
01-05-2005, 08:41 PM
Hi Bob...I wish you the best, in your surgery tomorrow! I'm curious (and a little ignorant, I guess)...I always thought that 20/20 was perfect vision. How do you get better than that? I wear dime-store glasses to read small print closeup, but otherwise my vision is perfect (at least it seems that way)! LOL I'd like to correct what I have, but my vision is so good otherwise, that I'd hate to take a chance (hate to be the 1 in 20 that the surgery makes your vision WORSE)! Hope it works out perfectly for you!

Scott /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

CarolNYC
01-06-2005, 03:15 AM
Good Luck!
Carol /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif

SnakebyteXX
01-06-2005, 06:24 AM
Good luck! I had Lasik done five years ago. I'm a total proponent of the proceedure. After thirty minutes of surgery I went from 20/100 in each eye to 20/20. No more glasses - no more blurred vision.

It was like being reborn.

Snake

Fred Agnir
01-06-2005, 07:08 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Scott Lee:</font><hr> Hi Bob...I wish you the best, in your surgery tomorrow! I'm curious (and a little ignorant, I guess)...I always thought that 20/20 was perfect vision. How do you get better than that? <hr /></blockquote>
20/20 means:

My vision at 20 ft is the same as a normal person vision at 20 ft.

So...

20/400 (my pre-LASIK vision) meant that at what I saw at 20 feet was the same clarity/blurriness as what a normal person sees at 400 ft.

20/15 means that what Ted Williams and Will Clark sees at 20 ft is the same clarity that someone with normal vision sees at 15 ft.

Fred &lt;~~~ http://www.lasikmd.ca

Fred Agnir
01-06-2005, 07:26 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote SnakebyteXX:</font><hr> After thirty minutes of surgery <hr /></blockquote>Just in case anyone gets completely terrified from this "thirty minutes" disclosure, the "surgery" actually lasts for about 48 seconds, 6 seconds at a time with a few moments of rest between each set. The rest of the 30 minutes is comprised of eyedrops, discussion, and other preparation.

Fred

catscradle
01-06-2005, 07:28 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Fred Agnir:</font><hr> 20/15 means that what Ted Williams and Will Clark sees at 20 ft is the same clarity that someone with normal vision sees at 15 ft.<hr /></blockquote>

My uncle who played semi-pro ball always said he could tell the pitch being thrown by how the seams were turning after the ball left the pitcher's hand. I guess he had better than 20/20, huh? /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif
He also said they played with the leather cut out of the palms of their glove so they'd have better feel of the ball when they catch it. Ouch!

SnakebyteXX
01-06-2005, 08:03 AM
[ QUOTE ]
the "surgery" actually lasts for about 48 seconds, 6 seconds at a time with a few moments of rest between each <hr /></blockquote>

That's true. The only scary part came when they cut the corneal flap and peeled it back - vision dropped to near zero (total blur). This was only an issue for me because I had to sign a release of liability that included the prospect that I could be blinded for life by the surgery. When the time came for the total blur part - I was thinking, "Oh my God what have I gotten myself into now?" Thinking what it would be like to spend the rest of my time on Earth walking around with a red and white cane.

Thank goodness the surgery was so brief.

Because of special circumstances in my case the Lasik not only restored my distance vision but it restored my reading vision as well. As I left the operating room I could see the second hand tick marks on my watch as if they were under a 10X magnifying glass.

Lasik isn't permanent - five years later I'm ready for a tuneup. But I wouldn't trade these past five years of improved vision for anything.

Snake

catscradle
01-06-2005, 09:15 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote SnakebyteXX:</font><hr> ...

Lasik isn't permanent - five years later I'm ready for a tuneup. But I wouldn't trade these past five years of improved vision for anything.

Snake <hr /></blockquote>

I'm just curious. Do you happen to know why it isn't permanent?

SnakebyteXX
01-06-2005, 11:00 AM
[ QUOTE ]
<hr /></blockquote>

Because eyesight tends to decline with age.

Snake

Fred Agnir
01-06-2005, 11:05 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote catscradle:</font><hr>
<hr /></blockquote>LASIK for the most part is permanent. But, some people's eyes, LASIK or not, will change.

http://www.lasikmd.ca/questions.html#aretheresults

Fred

Cane
01-06-2005, 11:14 AM
Fred, You're exactly right... fortunately, at nearly 50, my vision hasn't change in the past 10 years... same prescription every year, so the chances of my Lasik results being permanant are very good.

Well, gonna wash my face and take my nervous a$$ to the Hall of Doom. At least I have my buddy's good looking girlfriend here to chauffer me around today! He said I could borrow her, but he stipulated that meant I could only borrow her for DRIVING!

Later folks.

Bob

catscradle
01-06-2005, 11:28 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote SnakebyteXX:</font><hr> &lt;/font&gt;&lt;blockquote&gt;&lt;font class="small"&gt;Quote:&lt;/font&gt;&lt;hr /&gt;
<hr /></blockquote>

Because eyesight tends to decline with age.

Snake <hr /></blockquote>

That makes sense. FWIW, my has gotten better 3 of the last exams I've had. My Optometrist tells me that isn't unusual after 50 years old. At least something isn't declining. /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif

SnakebyteXX
01-06-2005, 12:29 PM
[ QUOTE ]
FWIW, my has gotten better 3 of the last exams I've had. My Optometrist tells me that isn't unusual after 50 years old. At least something isn't declining <hr /></blockquote>

Mine was 20/20 when I was a kid. Once I passed 40 it started declining and grew worse and worse until by 50 I couldn't read the numbers on a large digital clock if it was sitting across the room.

Presbyopia (reading vision) set in in my mid thirties and also grew progressively worse requiring stronger and stronger glasses as time went by. Heaven help me if I went out for dinner and forgot my reading glasses. Nothing like trying to Braille your way through the menu - LOL.

Lasik was a Godsend. The only problem I had in the aftermath of the surgery was 'starring' around lights at night. A problem that really only bothered me while I was driving. I understand that this condition can disappear after a while with some post lasik people and with others it never happens in the first place - but it has never disappeared for me.

Five years after the surgery I'm still doing pretty good. I passed the eye test without glasses at my most recent DMV exam this past Fall if that tells you anything. But things are not quite as crystal clear as they were when I first had the surgery and I miss that.

I particularly notice it when playing pool late in the evening. When it gets late I'll have trouble focusing on long shots.

As to the permanency issue? Lasik is still a relatively new procedure. It hasn't been around long enough for anyone to reliably make that claim. Any claims that it lasts forever are based on fairly short term statistics.

Having said all that - I still wouldn't hesitate to recommend it. The price has come down considerably in the past five years and is reaching the point of affordability. If anyone is considering having it done I would recommend that they choose and ophthalmologist rather than an optometrist for the job. Ophthalmologists are much more highly trained and although they tend to cost a little more - when it comes to your eyes - it may not be the best choice to go with the low priced bidder.

Snake

A_LOTA_NOTA
01-06-2005, 07:36 PM
I had lasik about a year ago. I have 20/15 with each eye &amp; 20/10 with both. My surgeon said only a hand full of people have a brain that can comprehend 20/10. Wish I could channel some of that in to my game. LOL

Scott Lee
01-06-2005, 07:43 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote A_LOTA_NOTA:</font><hr> I had lasik about a year ago. I have 20/15 with each eye &amp; 20/10 with both. My surgeon said only a hand full of people have a brain that can comprehend 20/10. Wish I could channel some of that in to my game. LOL <hr /></blockquote>

I guess that would qualify you as "eagle eye"!

Scott

Cane
01-07-2005, 06:53 AM
Good moring CCBers. Well, so far so good. My Dr.'s appointment isn't for another 2 hours, but I woke up this morning out of my Trazadone and Vallium haze with no itching of the eyes, and watched a 5 legged fly land on my TV! Not really, but I do have things around the room that look completely different than they did before and I'm absolutely ecstatic. I'll update when I get back from the Eye Doc this morning and let you know what the final results are!!!

later, and thank you all for the good wishes and emails.

Bob