PDA

View Full Version : Opinions on Connelly tables

stickman
05-24-2002, 08:16 AM
I've found a dealer in the area that handles Connelly tables. I'm not sure of the model but the table I looked at was a wood frame with ball and claw legs. It had a three piece 1" wood backed Italian slate, K66 rails, and the mechanic told me he would install Simonis 860 cloth on it for me. He would deliver it and set it up. The price was very good, I thought. I haven't heard a lot about Connelly tables, good or bad. Any opinions?

cheesemouse
05-24-2002, 09:31 AM
stickman,
Iv'e played on Connellys in a few tounys and they were very solid but I believe they were the high end commercials with six legs, four bolts per rail and the slates were much thicker than one inch. The one your looking at must be there home model. I've never heard anything bad about them. If the price is right I'd to for it.

heater451
05-24-2002, 11:30 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: cheesemouse:</font><hr>
Iv'e played on Connellys in a few tounys and they were very solid but I believe they were the high end commercials with six legs, four bolts per rail and the slates were much thicker than one inch.<hr></blockquote>
The "Ultimate" is a six-legged model, and I believe it gets its name from having a 2" slate.

<blockquote><font class="small">Quote:</font><hr> I've never heard anything bad about them. If the price is right I'd to for it. <hr></blockquote>
The only thing bad that I've heard, and this was from a former Connelly dealer, was that the frame corner joints were miter-cut and NAILED together.---Any expansion/contraction cycle caused the joints to eventually separate, and the table could even collapse under the weight of the slate!

Now, this is just hearsay, and it is possible that even if this were the truth, the design may have been changed. I suggest contacting other dealers, and see if they know anything.

05-24-2002, 09:12 PM
I had looked at the Connelly tables a couple of years ago, first because I thought they were beautiful. Someone then had mentioned that they didn't think the framing could handle the weight of the 2" slate. Unless they used different framing on the display model than the one they actually give you (HIGHLY ILLEGAL) that thing isn't going anywhere. The model I looked at had 6" solid, not plywood, not I Beam, solid 6" studs framing it. Just to give you a basis for comparison, Your average deck is framed with 2x4", your average house, 2x8" to 2x10". IMO, a very solid table, though I believe Chris Cass had brought up some playability concerns earlier....

MikeM
05-24-2002, 10:24 PM
Stick,

I really enjoy my Connelly. I've had it for only about a year and a half. Plays very nice even with the Mali cloth. When it's time I plan on upgrading to Simonis. It seems to be a very well built table, the rails are very good. And it is a beautiful piece of furniture. I believe mine is the Sedona (or Mariposa they're very close). I also play on Connelly ultimates at the local pool hall for leagues and practice.

Keep us posted.

MM

05-25-2002, 12:31 AM
Had one in my basement for about 5 years..
In that time went through about a cloth a year..
Lots of play..

Never had any trouble at all..
Good rolls to the corners from anywhere, and never had a drift problem..
The only complaint might be that balls fell to easily into the pockets.. Fairly large pockets, and I owned the one just below the Ultimate..

A good table for sure..

cArson

stickman
05-25-2002, 07:12 AM
Thanks for all the feedback.

05-25-2002, 11:00 AM
i know that the higher end connoleys slate is also reiforced on the underside with 1" plywood...Glen Hopkinson used to install them for a living and I went and helped him one day.. I was very impressed with the quality of the workmanship on the table and when it was all together we played a couple of games on it and I found it to play very well. not a bad buy in my opinion