PDA

View Full Version : If pool were like other, more "popular" sports:

rackmup
05-24-2002, 08:17 AM
What if pool enjoyed the same popularity and marketing as other "mainstream" sports?

Would we:

<ul type="square"> Send our spouses to the mall (or Home Depot) on Sunday afternoon so we could invite our pool playing buddies over for some brews and the "Matches of the Day?"
Serve chips and dip in a bowl shaped like a nineball?
"Chest Bump" everytime our favorite player successfully executes a tough shot?
Sit in a "Miller Lite" promotional inflatable billiards chair (complete with cue notch) while watching pool at home?
"Tailgate" in the parking lot of the host venue for the US OPEN of 9-Ball?
Wear shirts bearing the names of our favorite players?
Go outside between televised matches and shoot a few games in the front yard?
Run to JC Penney to purchase the latest ensemble from the "Keith McCready Color of Money" clothing line?
Watch "Monday Night 9-Ball" with Allen Hopkins, Grady and Dennis Miller (he needs the work) calling the play-by-play?
Be one of 60,000 fans to pay ridiculously inflated prices to ticket scalpers outside the Superdome to watch the "Superbowl of One-Pocket?"
Listen proudly as our High School kids telephone their Grandparents, bragging about how they have been accepted to "The Cue-U College" on a four-year scholarship?
Post pictures of Allison, Ewa and Lee in our garages instead of those bikini-clad gals from the Snap-On tool calender?
Wear brightly colored baseball caps with our favorite players picture and cue images emblazoned on the front?
Watch NASCAR races as Jeff Gordon pulls into the "Victory Circle" in his "Joss West" sponsored Monte Carlo after winning the "Labor Day Mosconi Memorial 500?"
Argue that "The Miz" is in better shape than William "The Frig" Perry was, in his prime?
Watch "FOX Celebrity Boxing" as Miz and Perry beat the bejeezus out of each other?
Have a license plate frame boasting "My other ride is a nineball"?
Fish with a rod made by "Cuetech"?
Shop at the "Spencer's Cues &amp; Gifts" store, sandwiched between the "Victoria's Secret" and "Cinnabon" at the mall?
See bumper stickers on trucks that proclaim: "They will get ball-in-hand when they pry it from my cold, dead fingers"?
See "Cue Racks" mounted in the rear window of those same trucks?
Buy the latest "Swimsuit Issue" of "Cues Illustrated" magazine?
Watch as Buddy "The Rifleman" Hall appears in the "Subway Sandwiches" commercials, slimmed down to 155 pounds, claiming it was the "Chicken Honey Teryaki" subs that helped him lose weight?
Watch a "Midol" commercial as Dixie Carter of Trifecta Entertainment and Jan McWorter, WPBA President, discuss menstrual cramps, bloating and water retention and the subsequent relief the product gives them (McWorter: "I hate when I'm bending down over a shot and my tummy aches from the bloating." Carter: "Have you tried new extra-strength Midol? It sure helps me when I'm all gassy.")
See Dennis Hatch featured on "America's Most Wanted"?
[/list]

Did I miss any?

Regards,

Ken (always dreaming)

stickman
05-24-2002, 08:38 AM
Dennis Miller needs the work? I think he should be out of work. He wasn't a good comedian, and is an even worse sports commentator. How about Allison, Ewa, and Lee in bikinis on my garage wall? Chest bumping? I was on a league team that did this. We had a lot of fun. I'm 6'6" and weigh about 175 to 180. One of my buddies on the team was probably 5'8" and 225. I almost wiped out half the bar one night while reeling across the room after a rather exuberant chest bump from him, after winning my match. LOL

rackmup
05-24-2002, 09:17 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote:</font><hr>I'm 6'6" and weigh about 175 to 180.<hr></blockquote>

Now "stickman" makes sense!

Regards,

Ken (5'11" and 208. I guess that would make me "stumpman")

05-24-2002, 11:27 AM
My Personal repotoire would include a shirt that said "Vince" in bold white letters.

Also, We could finally make the varsity team for 14.1

Thanks for the smile rackmup

bigalerickson
05-24-2002, 11:29 AM
sorry, forgot to log in.

how about a "Pool" channel on cable.

rackmup
05-24-2002, 12:19 PM
Big Al,

It already exists:

<blockquote><font class="small">Quote:</font><hr>The Billiard Channel

Visit the home of the world's first 24-hour cable channel devoted exclusively to billiards. Includes competition results and programming details.

www.thebilliardchannel.com (http://www.thebilliardchannel.com)<hr></blockquote>

Regards,

Ken

Kato
05-24-2002, 02:01 PM
Ken, have you actually ever seen The Billiard Channel on your local satellite listing? I've not seen it. So far, for us in the country that Texas annexed, 24 hr pool is a pipe dream.

Kato~~~1 hour until the 10 ball ghost and an ice cold Rolling Rock

05-24-2002, 02:41 PM
I have cable. And I have friends with satellite tv. And no one has been able to find a pool channel.

Troy
05-24-2002, 05:13 PM
If you visit www.thebilliardchannel.com (http://www.thebilliardchannel.com) and click on "Network" at the bottom of the home page you will see "COMING SOON" which has been there for over a year..... /ccboard/images/icons/frown.gif /ccboard/images/icons/frown.gif

<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: Eddie G Chgo:</font><hr> I have cable. And I have friends with satellite tv. And no one has been able to find a pool channel. <hr></blockquote>

Cueless Joey
05-24-2002, 05:29 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: Eddie G Chgo:</font><hr> I have cable. And I have friends with satellite tv. And no one has been able to find a pool channel. <hr></blockquote>......
In Canada, they do show the world 9 ball from Cardiff. Direct tv used to carry Sky from England. Not anymore.

05-24-2002, 08:32 PM
The Billiard Channel was a pipe dream started about 4-5 years ago by a couple of guys with more ideas than sense. The initial plan was to launch a website and national Men's tour, followed by a cable channel 6 mos. to a year later. The prize money for the tour was supposed to exceed anything that had ever been done before, blah blah blah, yaddah yaddah. The website debut was a month late and updated only sporadically, the tour folded after two events ( Danny 'Kid Delicious" Basavich won the first one in Fla. defeating Buddy Hall in one of the tour's more bizarre rule twists ) and for the grand finale,the founders DIDN'T REALIZE that a cable network takes several million dollars just to start up. Suffice it to say, they did not attract a lot of investor interest. So you can look, you can ask, but as Pork said to Miss Scarlet, "askin' ain't gittin'."

05-24-2002, 08:37 PM
Ken, can I chest bump with you? LOL Just kidding! What's wrong with pics of Ally and Jeanette in string bikinis in the garage? Can we have our own brand of beer? Will the men be doing 'beefcake' photos? Oh, wait, I just thought about what male pool pros look like. Okay, forget that. Well, maybe Niels Fijien. Yeah, DEFINATELY HIM! yum.....What was I saying? Celebrity boxing? Love that one. Midol? Jan needs it. As for Dennis, well, I don't really need to say it, do I?

Kato
05-25-2002, 07:14 AM
Lorri, I was at that tournament for all 5 days, open to close and it was a terrific tournament. That spot shot thing was wack. Alien Martel and Toby Sweet played sudden death spot shots for like 15 shots before Martel won. Everybody in the pool room stopped what they were doing and watched, it was great.

The tournament format was ok, I think the players didn't like the single elimination though. I thought it was exciting.

They had this template to pound the balls in place so you wouldn't even need a rack. They thought it would revolutionize the game of pool. Uhmmmmm, nope. I mean it worked but everyone loves those triangles.

It was really great for a guy who had just really started playing pool to be sitting at the bar having breakfast and have a guy like Buddy Hall walk in and spend 30 minutes talking to you. Or chatting it up with a 20 year old Corey Duel about South Florida golf courses.

Too bad they were so short sighted. How many pro pool players were on-line at that time? How many pro pool players are on line now? I remember Danny Basavich on the phone with his Mom after he had won (I was on my way to the restroom and passed by), he told her he was the #1 player in the world. On the billiard channel tour he was.

My memories of that tournament are very fond. Of course I remember J.R. Calvert (one of the founders?) telling me he couldn't play pool. At least it didn't cost me any money to find out.

In closing, those people couldn't organize a tour, let alone a T.V. network.

Kato

05-25-2002, 12:31 PM
You should have seen Danny when he got back to Jersey! I wish I could have been there, God knows he was there with a big hug for me enough times when I won a big one! I personally thought the format was kind of innovative. A lot of the players didn't like it, but they never like it when they don't feel like they're stealing. It seems rather a shame that those folks didn't get themselves more organized before they embarked. It could have been good. Oh well, perhaps Charlie will do better.