PDA

View Full Version : Take note of Jeanette Lee during TV match......



woody_968
01-06-2005, 11:59 AM
I noticed something while watching Jeanette playing Allison (I think that was the match) the other night and thought I would point it out.

Jeanette had a carom on the nine ball and missed it, the camera followed her back to the chair and showed her talking to herself. What I want to point out is she wasnt bashing herself for missing the shot, she was re-thinking the shot in her head and trying to understand what she should have done to make it!

You can sort of see a light go on in her head and she says to herself "low left" and then sets back to watch the table. This is a critical point in pool that many of the new players need to learn (and some old timers be reminded) about how to handle missing balls.

Not only did she deal with the miss and prepare to move on, she learned something from her miss. That is one big factor in being able to improve at this game. So next time you play multi rail shape and scratch (or miss a ball, or what ever) dont set back and think about the bad roll you just got, think about what you could have done differently to make the outcome of the shot better.

Just food for thought.

Woody

DavidMorris
01-06-2005, 12:04 PM
I try to do that most of the time. When shooting racks alone I will often stop and setup the same shot I just missed and shoot it again.

bsmutz
01-06-2005, 04:01 PM
When watching her in person she missed a shot but got great shape on the next ball. When she left the table she chose to focus on the shape instead of bashing herself for missing the shot. Better to maintain a positive attitude I think than start getting down on yourself for missing.

DavidMorris
01-06-2005, 05:22 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote bsmutz:</font><hr> When watching her in person she missed a shot but got great shape on the next ball. When she left the table she chose to focus on the shape instead of bashing herself for missing the shot. Better to maintain a positive attitude I think than start getting down on yourself for missing. <hr /></blockquote>
And therein lies the essence of my pool game. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

I'm a great position player. I get all caught up in the position strategy and miss too many shots only to watch the cueball roll to within a damn micron of where I was trying to put it. /ccboard/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

GeraldG
01-06-2005, 06:09 PM
You know what? That is my BIGGEST problem! I think what happens to me is that when I execute the shot, mentally I'm already done with it and thinking about the next ball, instead of concentrating on just pocketing the ball I'm shooting now. If I've made my decision on ball speed, spin, etc. and set up correctly on my shot, I shouldn't HAVE to think about the cueball or the next shot at all. But, I do..I think I just get in a mode of rushing things....usually the miss is a pocket-rattler when that happens.

Scott Lee
01-06-2005, 08:07 PM
Woody...That's what I've taught you, and David, and Bill, and many many others...the value of positive reinforcement, even when you miss. Thinking, "I hit that shot 95% GOOD", instead the usual response, is so much better for your ego and psyche!

David...Don't forget about the 80/20 syndrome. Concentrate 80% of your thought process on pocketing the ball, and leave the other 20% to your subconscious for position (aim where you want to aim on the CB and smoothly stroke through with the appropriate speed). Most folks concentrate 80% on shape, and only 20% on making the ball, often missing the shot (but frequently getting perfect shape)! Remember 'Scott-ism #1'? "Shape ain't sh*t without the shot!" LOL /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

pooltchr
01-07-2005, 04:21 AM
Scott,
That is also why the freeze is at the end of SPF. Freeze = Feedback! If you know what went wrong, it's much easier to focus on making the adjustments. Don't stand up from a missed shot asking yourself how you missed it, but rather knowing what you need to do to correct it next time.
(I know you know that, but thought I would re-enforce it for all of us.)
Steve