PDA

View Full Version : Wood vs Graphite Cues

jon_galang
01-06-2005, 03:14 PM
Hi everyone,

I was looking at cues online (some of them are just so good looking!) and I was wondering, which is better, a wood cue, a graphite cue, or a fiberglass-wrapped cue? What's the difference? Is one better than the other? Thanks for the assist!

Jon

Jude_Rosenstock
01-06-2005, 03:35 PM
It sounds like you're a beginner. If you were to look at any survey, it would probably say 99% of all serious poolplayers use a wood cue. However, that's primarily because the advantages that you might attain from fiber-glass don't really apply to an advanced shooter. Cue-Tec makes an excellent fiber-glass cue. I've been given a couple of them and I have to say if I didn't love Predator so much, I could learn to shoot with a Cue-Tec. They're solidly made, have a decent hit and you can treat them like trash and they'll still be fine. Because they don't ding or warp, I recommend them to anyone who isn't absolutely certain how serious they plan to take the game. It's a nice first step in the pool.

If you end up being a serious player, you're probably going to end up getting a wood cue like the rest of us but hopefully by then, you'll know exactly what you want. No matter what choice you make understand that no first cue should cost more than $150. If you love pool, you WILL get a second cue, no matter what you get today. Lastly, having any cue, so long as it's yours and it works, will improve your game.

Jude M. Rosenstock

DavidMorris
01-06-2005, 03:45 PM
Glass and graphite cues are considered "gimmicky" by most serious pool players. Yes, if they're straight and smooth in the bridge hand and have a decent tip, you can play great pool with one. Just like a pro can clean house with a "broom handle" house cue -- but how many pros play with such a cue unless they're trying to hustle?

Notice that Earl Strickland and Allison Fisher are both sponsered by Cuetec and play with a Cuetec cue. However you'll notice that they are custom Cuetecs with wood shafts. It's pretty rare to see a top player playing with anything but a wood cue, but as a starter it's certainly common.

My advice for a quality but inexpensive starter cue is a Dufferin Sneaky Pete. If you're not familiar with the term "Sneaky Pete" it's a 2-piece cue that looks like a standard house cue -- in fact many Sneaky Petes have been made by cutting a house cue in half and installing a joint. Dufferin cues are great, solid hitting cues that can be had for under $100. I would strongly advise against the K-Mart specials with the screw-on tips. Those are totally junk.

Cane
01-07-2005, 10:31 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote jon_galang:</font><hr> Hi everyone,

I was looking at cues online (some of them are just so good looking!) and I was wondering, which is better, a wood cue, a graphite cue, or a fiberglass-wrapped cue? What's the difference? Is one better than the other? Thanks for the assist!

Jon <hr /></blockquote>

I am one of the biggest proponents of wood cues you will probably ever find. I try not to be crass about graphite or fiberglass (or even titanium cues), but playing pool with one of them is kind of like performing brain surgery with a butter knife. Just my opinion, of course...

Later,
Bob

Cueless Joey
01-07-2005, 10:48 AM
You can't fish with wooden cues.
You can with graphite cues. And, that's just about what they are good for.

bomber
01-07-2005, 10:58 AM
thats funny....of course wood is the top notch...but it is not bad for a beginner...ive thought about buying me a cuetec to take with me to bars when i play instead of playing off the wall or with my capone

Cueless Joey
01-07-2005, 02:13 PM
You should have ordered a Capone sneaky pete too. /ccboard/images/graemlins/tongue.gif