PDA

View Full Version : Speaking of Laser Pointers and Animals...

Barbara
01-06-2005, 04:30 PM
So Santa got her Hubby a laser level for Christmas which arrived late, but got here anyway. So Hubby takes out the level and is checking it over. He turns on the laser beam and Lo and Behold!, it catches the attention of our newest member of our family, an abandoned 7-month old kitten by our white trash ex-next door neighbors. This was FUN!! Allie Kat is as quick as lightning anyway, but all we saw was a blur of fur as she chased that beam the expanse of living and dining room and everywhere beyond.

So Pete went out and got a couple of laser pointers (red ones, sorry Deeman) to play with her and the other two cats we have.

Conclusion: THIS IS TOO MUCH FUN!!

So I also have to ask any pet owner out there experienced with young female animals. Allie has just gone into heat but she's too small to get spayed (5 lbs, 5 oz), so says the Vet we go to. She's really unnerving my two neutered males to no end. I've never had a female cat before. What can I do to lessen "the experience"? TIA.

Barbara

SnakebyteXX
01-06-2005, 04:55 PM
[ QUOTE ]
So I also have to ask any pet owner out there experienced with young female animals. Allie has just gone into heat but she's too small to get spayed (5 lbs, 5 oz), so says the Vet we go to. She's really unnerving my two neutered males to no end. I've never had a female cat before. What can I do to lessen "the experience"? TIA.
<hr /></blockquote>

Barbara, there's not much you can do but keep her penned up. The problem is that at this age they tend to come into heat almost constantly. So even if you could do something to get her 'out of heat' it would only be a temporary fix.

Having said this I'm going to pass on something our very experienced vet shared with us some time back. The problem lies not in the telling but the doing...

He says that you can get a female cat to come out of heat by convincing her that she has been bred. I'm not going to go into detail here but suffice it to say that this little trick involves a cue tip (Johnson &amp; Johnson brand) covered in vasoline...

I'll leave the rest up to your imagination.

Snake &lt;-- been there but hasn't done that.

SpiderMan
01-06-2005, 05:04 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote SnakebyteXX:</font><hr> &lt;/font&gt;&lt;blockquote&gt;&lt;font class="small"&gt;Quote:&lt;/font&gt;&lt;hr /&gt;
<hr /></blockquote>

Barbara, there's not much you can do but keep her penned up. The problem is that at this age they tend to come into heat almost constantly. So even if you could do something to get her 'out of heat' it would only be a temporary fix.

Having said this I'm going to pass on something our very experienced vet shared with us some time back. The problem lies not in the telling but the doing...

He says that you can get a female cat to come out of heat by convincing her that she has been bred. I'm not going to go into detail here but suffice it to say that this little trick involves a cue tip (Johnson &amp; Johnson brand) covered in vasoline...

I'll leave the rest up to your imagination.

Snake &lt;-- been there but hasn't done that. <hr /></blockquote>

HaHaHa - Let the other two watch, and they'll behave too!

But seriously, I think she'll only come out of heat early if the q-tip somehow fertilizes her.

On the other hand, she may start coming into heat more often just to get "the treatment".

SpiderMan

SPetty
01-06-2005, 05:13 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Barbara:</font><hr> Conclusion: THIS IS TOO MUCH FUN!!

So I also have to ask any pet owner out there experienced with young female animals. Allie has just gone into heat but she's too small to get spayed (5 lbs, 5 oz), so says the Vet we go to. <hr /></blockquote>I think you might want to get a second opinion on that spay size. They spay, and recommend spaying, kittens before they reach sexual maturity. I've taken in kittens for spaying and neutering. No problems at all. Without having met your vet, I suspect thick fingers and bad vision is the problem... /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

At what age should I have my cat spayed/neutered?
The rule is to spay/neuter before your cat reaches sexual maturity. In fact, the American Veterinary Medical Association (AVMA) now supports early spay and neuter for cats as early as 8-16 weeks of age. Consult your vet concerning your cat, but remember to have the cat altered before the sexual maturity (usually before the age of 5-6 months).

As for the lasers - yep, they're one of the best cat toys around. Especially if you have drapes you don't care about! /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif I always make sure to be real careful to not get the laser anywhere near their eyes, though.

I've heard they're fun with dogs too.

Barbara
01-06-2005, 05:39 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote SPetty:</font><hr>
As for the lasers - yep, they're one of the best cat toys around. Especially if you have drapes you don't care about! /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif I always make sure to be real careful to not get the laser anywhere near their eyes, though.

I've heard they're fun with dogs too.
<hr /></blockquote>

SPetty,

Go figure, my oldest, The Junior, is not tricked easily with the laser pointer. He looks at the source, not at the dot. While the other two are bewitched with the dot of light, he watches my hand movements. I have got hiim to *play along*, but he is one smart cat!

Barbara

Barbara
01-06-2005, 05:51 PM
I do have her penned in the back bedroom. We have a "system" for introducing new kitties. We replace the regular door in our back bedroom with a screen door and sequester the new animal until we think it's ready to live freely inside the house. It's been a month and Allie's been free to roam the house last week from a month's sequestering. She has befriended the other two cats until yesterday when she really showed signs of coming into heat. Now the two boys are really hissing at her, so back to the room she goes.

Spike was "intact" when we took him in, but got him neutered immediately. He was about two years old when he strayed into our hearts and probably sired a few kitties. The Junior has never known "the pleasure" since he was our first kitten 13 years ago and we got him neutered as soon as he was eligible.

The Vet says to call her back in two weeks about Allie. Ouch!! I might find another Vet.

But as to your "Temporary fix"? Ewwwww!!! Ewwwww!!! And EWWWWWW!!!!

But I thank you for your response. Really. /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Barbara

Barbara
01-06-2005, 05:55 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote SpiderMan:</font><hr> On the other hand, she may start coming into heat more often just to get "the treatment".

SpiderMan <hr /></blockquote>

Hey Marty!!

SLAP!!!

You are soooo bad.... /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Barbara

dtomasi
01-07-2005, 07:31 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Barbara:</font><hr> So I also have to ask any pet owner out there experienced with young female animals. Allie has just gone into heat but she's too small to get spayed (5 lbs, 5 oz), so says the Vet we go to. She's really unnerving my two neutered males to no end. I've never had a female cat before. What can I do to lessen "the experience"? TIA.

Barbara <hr /></blockquote>

Hi Barbara,

The breeder that I have been dealing with for years, has her kittens spayed at around 12 weeks of age. She breeds both Maine Coons and Tonkinese. Although the Maine Coons are heavyweights at that age, the Tonk females are normally less than 5 pounds when they undergo the surgery. Unless there are other health issues with your little girl, I do not see why you cannot have her spayed immediately. Of course, you now have to wait until her cycle is over.

Lasers are great cat toys and fun for both you and the "kids". However, my little predators get frustrated if they do not get something more tangible (crinkle balls are family favorites) to capture and play with.

Good luck with your little vixen.

Barbara
01-07-2005, 08:34 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote dtomasi:</font><hr>
Hi Barbara,

The breeder that I have been dealing with for years, has her kittens spayed at around 12 weeks of age. She breeds both Maine Coons and Tonkinese. Although the Maine Coons are heavyweights at that age, the Tonk females are normally less than 5 pounds when they undergo the surgery. Unless there are other health issues with your little girl, I do not see why you cannot have her spayed immediately. Of course, you now have to wait until her cycle is over.

Lasers are great cat toys and fun for both you and the "kids". However, my little predators get frustrated if they do not get something more tangible (crinkle balls are family favorites) to capture and play with.

Good luck with your little vixen. <hr /></blockquote>

Well, I just talked to the Vet's receptionist again today after another sleepless night. (yawn) She explained that the kitten has to mature a bit before they can do the surgery. She said that the profession is finding health problems in cats being spayed so early. She likened it to performing a hysterectomy on a child.

So I left her in the back bedroom today while I'm at work so the boys can get some sleep downstairs.

And yes, she is a cutey little vixen! /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Barbara

SPetty
01-07-2005, 11:17 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote dtomasi:</font><hr>However, my little predators get frustrated if they do not get something more tangible (crinkle balls are family favorites) to capture and play with.<hr /></blockquote>My little predators like great big moths, small mice and little baby squirrels. One of them even brought in a baby owl one night.

I woke up one morning to find a baby squirrel tail and and a baby squirrel head on the rug in the bathroom. Yuck. I've been woken up with the squealing of captured critters many times.

Barbara, you may want to do just a little more checking (internet?). Either your vet's office is way out of touch, or there's some extremely recent info that they have. It's been known for years that it is perfectly safe, acceptable and desirable to spay and neuter kittens when they're young, especially before they come into heat. If you do check around, please post back and let us know.