PDA

View Full Version : Mitch Laurence

ChuckR
01-06-2005, 05:39 PM
Does anyone else find Mitch's lack of pool knowledge a distraction when watching an ESPN match? I mean comments like " and I can tell you that she didn't want that" when a player scratches and other shallow analogies. Thank goodness he is usually accompanied by someone who possesses
the ability to tell what a player should or will try. I just think that ESPN would better served with someone like Buddy Hall, Billy Incardona or the like.
ChuckR

cueball1950
01-06-2005, 07:54 PM
i have to agree with you. rpobably, so do alot of other people. If he calls Her "the Striking Viking" again i think i am going to puke. Well since he is married to ewa he must think so. But i don't think he ever saw what she looks like when she bends over to play a shot during a tournament, what a face she makes...............jmho.......mike

jjinfla
01-07-2005, 06:51 AM
Striking Viking is to Ewa as Black Widow is to Lee.

Mitch Lawrence is there for his technical knowledge of how a show is produced and to maintain continuity, not technical knowledge of how a game should be played. And he is very good at his job. Part of his job is making his co-host look good.

Jake

jjinfla
01-07-2005, 06:53 AM
Cueball,

I just noticed your signature. Perhaps you should change it. LOL.

Jake

9 Ball Girl
01-07-2005, 06:59 AM
This very subject was brought up over at AZB and as I said there I'll say here too, I've always put the commentators for the WPBA as background noise in my head, but for some reason as of late, I've been paying attention and it bothers that hell out of me. Not only Mitch, but others that accompany him too. If I didn't know much about pool, I would actually find it confusing due to what both of the commentators say. Forget about Mitch for a second because he's not really there for the technicality of it, but some of the women Pros that sit up there with him will predict about 2 -3 possibilities of a shot with the annoying white marker thingy that they use and the player will come out with something other than the possibilities mentioned. The Pro commentator will then say something like, "oh she didn't really want to do that" or whatever and it's very annoying. I wish there were a feature on my TV where I can drown out the commentators. And no I prefer not to Mute the TV, I like to hear the sound of the balls being hit and the cue being chalked. I lose count as to how many times I yell at the TV, "SHUT THE *$#%& UP!"

Sidepocket
01-07-2005, 07:11 AM
I can think of a lot of sports commentators, or even hosts that are awfully annoying....John Madden (football), Curtis Strange (golf), Ian Baker Finch (golf), etc. However, by dragging down the threshold of tolerance, it certainly makes everyone else in the booth seem a whole lot brighter.

In a perfect world, every commentator would be like Harry Carey (baseball) or David Feherety (golf)...always somewhat intoxicated and very funny.

I personally cannot avoid the in game commentary by Mitch, but I can certainly fast forward through the riduculous player introductions/trash talk prodding and intro of his co-host (Thank you, whoever invented Tivo).

landshark77
01-07-2005, 08:42 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote 9 Ball Girl:</font><hr> This very subject was brought up over at AZB and as I said there I'll say here too, I've always put the commentators for the WPBA as background noise in my head, but for some reason as of late, I've been paying attention and it bothers that hell out of me. Not only Mitch, but others that accompany him too. If I didn't know much about pool, I would actually find it confusing due to what both of the commentators say. Forget about Mitch for a second because he's not really there for the technicality of it, but some of the women Pros that sit up there with him will predict about 2 -3 possibilities of a shot with the annoying white marker thingy that they use and the player will come out with something other than the possibilities mentioned. The Pro commentator will then say something like, "oh she didn't really want to do that" or whatever and it's very annoying. I wish there were a feature on my TV where I can drown out the commentators. And no I prefer not to Mute the TV, I like to hear the sound of the balls being hit and the cue being chalked. I lose count as to how many times I yell at the TV, "SHUT THE *$#%&amp; UP!" <hr /></blockquote>

Don't forget the closed captioning...it was brought to you by OZone Billiards.

Yeah...Mitch is annoying, but he is good at his job...if he wasn't there sponsors would never get mentioned and thus pull out and there would be no televised events. And the ladies get on my nerves more so than anyone because of the stupid stuff they say...it is not only position and the shot, but personal opinions and what not. VERY annoying. JMHO.

Deeman2
01-07-2005, 12:29 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote 9 Ball Girl:</font><hr> "SHUT THE *$#%&amp; UP!" <hr /></blockquote>

<font color="blue"> "We'll be seeing more of her again."

"These are the best players in the world."

"She can really come with a shot."

"Remember that these players made it through the 64 best in the world."

"Karen is from Ballymoney in Northern Ireland."

Ewa,

"How good did she hit it?"

"She hit it too good."

"That shot took a lot of courage."

"She's really come into her own now."

"She's going to go three rails around the six, oh! she decided to just make it simple."

"Maybe that's why she's still in the tournament!" <font color="green"> MAY BE!!!</font color>

Deeman
will put up with any noise to see pool on TV...

</font color>

Wally_in_Cincy
01-07-2005, 12:39 PM
my all-time fave...

"coming from a snooker background, she's quite familiar with the bridge"

landshark77
01-07-2005, 12:49 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Deeman2:</font><hr>
"She's going to go three rails around the six, oh! she decided to just make it simple."

<hr /></blockquote>

LMFAO!!!

Deeman2
01-07-2005, 12:54 PM
Sidepocket:

Hey, Isn't Downers Grove where the "The War of the Worlds" starts out? Do you look like Gene Barry? Great Movie...Great Radio broadcast, I hear...

Deeman
has an unnatural fear of Orson Wells.....

johnnyt
01-07-2005, 05:23 PM
What gets me about the commentators is how they say " oh I would have done it the other way" and I say "yes that is why your butt is sitting there instead of still in tourny.
Johnnyt

ChuckR
01-07-2005, 05:56 PM
Hey Deeman2. What did you do, record all of these phrases? I felt like Mitch was coming to me live through my monitor. I almost had to shut off my computer.

cueball1950
01-07-2005, 06:39 PM
my signature has nothing to do with this post.. if i play somebody regardless of winning or losing i enjoy the game, don't complain and just enjoy the game. i hope that this clears it up for you... My original point that some people are missing is simply this. When they show her butt they start at the knees and go upwards. they are not trying to stay out of the players way as they are not showing any shot at that moment other than the shot of the players butt.. i just don't think it is proper for tv. now the only reason i brought this up is cuz i was watching a match between 2 players with 2 of my granddaughters age 14 &amp; 13. And they made the remark to me about why do they always show the womans butt from behind when they should show the shot she is playing. My answer,, camera man is out of position and is probably trying to show a shot over her shoulder. What else am i going to tell her. i don't know the real reason they do it..jmho............mike

jjinfla
01-07-2005, 07:56 PM
Just pulling your leg Cueball.

Sex sells that's why you see so many women's butts. Why do you think the Spider has been wearing those low cut outfits? You don't think they aren't well thought out? Surely you don't think they make her paly better do you?

Perfect for her. Come into my parlor said the spider to the.... Ha Ha. Very alluring. Very camera friendly. Very, very smart on her part.

As far as Ewa I know a guy who strips over his tongue every time he sees any part of her body.

And look what they showed of Jennifer Baretta in her bio on TV.

It is all showtime. And the men eat it up. Maybe we should just enjoy it while it lasts.

Jake

Malice
01-07-2005, 10:48 PM
I can get over ML's commentary pretty easily, because when I'm watching ESPN pool with people who really don't know pool, his polish, manner, and level of discussion fits well. And a lot of watchers aren't the type of people who know pool very well.

For higher-level commentary, IMHO Grady Matthews is the best there is.

Gayle in MD
01-08-2005, 08:36 AM
YES! I considered sending him a bottle of Imodium AD and a toothbrush for Christmas, but I was afraid he couldn't figure out which end to use it on!

Why doesn't WPBA see how much he hurts the whole image of womens pool with his obvious lack of knowledge of the game, and the continuous drivel, meaningless phrases repeated over and over until you are yelling at the screen? To him, the most beautiful sound in the world is the sound of his own voice.

I don't mind any of the women or Billy, in fact, I think he is the best of all, but Mitch should be dropped, IMO. I would love it if WPBA would use Robin Dobson and Billy together, I think they are both just great.

Do you think they don't realize how bad he is?

Gayle in Md.

9 Ball Girl
01-08-2005, 08:44 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote jjinfla:</font><hr>Why do you think the Spider has been wearing those low cut outfits? You don't think they aren't well thought out? Surely you don't think they make her play better do you?<hr /></blockquote>

I wonder if she would wear the same thing if she had tattoos where I have my tattoos. It's not a big deal but the tattoos would, IMO, give the typical "biker look pool player" image. At least that's what I'm told when my tats are peeking out.

In Jenn's matches with Corr and Kelly, she was dressed in the exact same way that I would dress. That is my idea of comfort when it comes to playing. I like Jeanette's style too.

pooltchr
01-08-2005, 08:47 AM
[quote=9 Ball Girl
At least that's what I'm told when my tats are peeking out.

<hr /></blockquote>

Calm down, guys! She said "TATS". /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

9 Ball Girl
01-08-2005, 08:57 AM
Hi Gayle!

I can't really say who my favorite commentators for the WPBA are, but I can tell you my least. Besides Mitch, I really don't care for Dawn Hopkins or Ewa Laurence--I'm sure they're great ladies but they're commentating, IMO, sucks. From my observations, Dawn usually gets it wrong, and Ewa, well, I just don't like her comments. For instance during Barretta's and Kelly's match, she says about Barretta, "she's making bank and cut shots, but she's not playing amazing pool. She's playing smart pool." That one is really sticking in my head only 'cause it was recent and I could probably think of a whole slew of others too.

LARRY_BOY
01-08-2005, 09:04 AM
THERE IS ALWAYS A SOLUTION TO EVERY PROBLEM.....IT'S CALLED THE VOLUME KNOB.

Gayle in MD
01-08-2005, 09:27 AM
Hi there Wendy, How's it going friend?

You know, I caught that too, and I was surprised. Does it seem to you that lately there have been more critical comments of the ladies, by the ladies?

I watched an old match last year when ESPN was re-running some old matches, and Robin Dobson was commentating, and she was really good. I met her in VF last year, and I was so impressed with her. She is a great communicator, and very nice.

Take care kiddo!
Love,
Gayle

SPetty
01-08-2005, 11:43 AM
Man, you guys sure are being tough on Mitch. I think he does what he does just fine.

Most normal folks don't watch every pool show in TV, so they don't see or hear the same things over and over like you do.

As for Mitch talking constantly - it's his job!!! If normal people think it's boring watching pool now, wait until you take away the commentary that gives them a little insight into what's going on.

The absolute worst commentator I heard in recent memory was the woman who used to be president of WPBA and who's husband is a cue maker - I think her name is McWorter? She was awful, just awful.

Those of you so critical - try to do it yourself. Turn down the volume and commentate the match yourself. Remember, you can't sit quietly by - you've got to keep talking to keep up the viewer's interest. Also, you've got to keep it understandable for the lay-person. You can't get all technical about it without explaining it first. Don't forget to toss in sponsorship mention as often as you can as well... Let us know how that goes. /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif

cuechick
01-08-2005, 07:51 PM
tap tap tap...I agree with you Spetty...it is a tough job, and Mitch is there to keep it moving, I think he tries hard he seems to do some reserch on the players backgrounds and all that. I think Ewa does a decent job, I have an old accustat tape and Gerda did the commentating and I really enjoyed the insight she brought to it...I am just happy they cover it at all! =/

/ccboard/images/graemlins/smirk.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/smirk.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/smirk.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/smirk.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/smirk.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

Chris Cass
01-08-2005, 08:25 PM
Hi Chuck,

You guys are cracking me up. Look at it this way. Mitch is trying hard to fit in. He's been picking up on Ewa' sayings like, "She came with a shot". Anyway, that's why they have 2 people in the booth. The compliment each other.

Sure, he doesn't know much if any and says somethings that make you stop and giggle but he isn't hurting anyone. I'd like to see others in the booth too like Grady or some of the others that are shooters too. I didn't mind Jeanette Lee in the booth the other nite watching but it was irratating to me when she would kind of make these hyper sounds when she wanted the ball to stop or something. It's like someone gasping for air. It shocks you for a minute. That I don't care for.

I say we keep him as our token first and live with him. He's atleast got a job. lol

Regards,

C.C.~~laying back and relaxing. watching a race to 120 for $100,000.00 Earl vs Efren. very interesting and down to earth. Earl shoot so much better when he doesn't get so rattled and I did see him kept pretty cool for the most part. I think he should have watched it himself. Mark did a good job too commentating.

Brian in VA
01-08-2005, 09:43 PM
Tap...Tap...Tap SPetty!

Mitch does his job well. He could be even better, IMO, if he'd draw out the color commentators a little, get them to explain shots, position and english to new comers. Remember, he's a professional voice, that's all.

Billy Incardona makes my ears hurt and Jim Wych does, too. Grady is the best but his voice grates on me; his teeth whistle and I find it distracting.

I like Wendy's idea of doing your own commentary. They do that at ball parks around the country, fantasy announcer. Maybe they could do it at pool tournaments.

Just my 2 cents. Your mileage may vary.

Brian in VA

DialUp
01-08-2005, 11:05 PM
He is not suppose to be that knowledgable. Like Basketball, there is a "play by play" and a "color man". He is the color man. They are just following a proven recipe. I, too, would rather see somebody else but what are yo gonna do...

I love it when the Hopkins do the play by play /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif Mostly wrong lol A couple years back, Alan did them all the time and he was 75% wrong about what was going to happen. Dawn was pretty inaccurate, as well.

I like the BCN style better... Much better...

landshark1002000
01-09-2005, 07:09 AM
Hi Chris:
I think Mitch does "lowbrow commentary" for the casual watcher.
He'd sound the same doing a women's bowling show.

But why do shot predictions at all? Why not point out the table issues and then describe how the player dealt with it AFTER the shot? This "all-knowing" kind of commentary is irritating.

Oh, did anyone notice the show's producer?

Mitch and wife.

stroker6626
01-09-2005, 08:17 AM
Your absolutely correct jjinfla, he's there to give the color commentary and he is very good at it, it's who is doing the pool commentating at times is not so good. Bring on Danny Diliberto he's the best IMO, Billy I is second in my book, Grady is good in describing what english to use in a particular shot, he's better than anyone on that, the only problem is, his EGO is demonstrably LARGE!! me myself and I type of commentating at times, I put Billy in that same category, which leads me to repeat myself, bring on Danny!!

opposedtwin2
01-09-2005, 02:41 PM
IMO Mitch does a good job. There are others I prefer especially if they talk SOUTHERN---like me! Buddy Hall and Mark Wilson are my choices in mens coverage.

Barbara
01-09-2005, 03:08 PM
I agree with SPetty. This isn't Accu-Stats, it's ESPN. Mitch does a good job for someone who isn't/wasn't a serious player.

One time at the SBE wen I used to work the Pro Arena, I came across Robin Dodson talking to herself and she stopped and explained that they had asked her to do commentary on one of the upcoming matches and she had to rehearse what she would be saying. She also said she just remembered how hard it was to do commentary!

Hey!! It isn't like you're sitting and watching the match and making a comment here and there, you have to be talking ALL THE TIME!! Think about it!

Barbara

jjinfla
01-09-2005, 05:13 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote pooltchr:</font><hr> [quote=9 Ball Girl
At least that's what I'm told when my tats are peeking out.

<hr /></blockquote>

Calm down, guys! She said "TATS". /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif <hr /></blockquote>

But we know what she means, don't we.

Jake

Vagabond
01-10-2005, 05:19 AM
I agree with u Spetty.I just watch the game.
Vagabond /ccboard/images/graemlins/cool.gif

Sid_Vicious
01-10-2005, 05:57 AM
"From my observations, Dawn usually gets it wrong"

No wonder, she's married to Allen. That guy is wrong half the time, and when he says, "He/she hit it PERFECT" and then the CB comes to rest marginally off angle but makeable, I just shake my head. Perfect is not getting the least bit out of line on the winning ball, that's why they call it perfect...sid

Sid_Vicious
01-10-2005, 06:02 AM
You would think though that after this many years of doing it, Mitch would have improved with his analysis. ESPN could do better with someone else(IMO.) sid

Rich R.
01-10-2005, 07:48 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Sid_Vicious:</font><hr> You would think though that after this many years of doing it, Mitch would have improved with his analysis. ESPN could do better with someone else(IMO.) sid <hr /></blockquote>
Does Mitch work for ESPN or does he work for the WPBA? /ccboard/images/graemlins/confused.gif

I think he has an "in" with the WPBA. /ccboard/images/graemlins/blush.gif

Wally_in_Cincy
01-10-2005, 08:01 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote SPetty:</font><hr>

...The absolute worst commentator I heard in .....I think her name is McWorter? She was awful, just awful.
<hr /></blockquote>

Jan "Hollywood Jan" McWhorter.

Yes. She was bad. Really bad. She only did a few matches.

I like Dawn but that's probably because I have the hots for her.

Paul_Mon
01-11-2005, 12:16 PM
That Mitch hosted a golf show in Myrtle Beach area. About 10 or 12 years ago while on vacation there I came across Mitch hosting a show devoted to golf in Myrtle Beach. I remember thinking that he did a great job hosting that show and interacting with guests. He seemed very knowledgable about the game and was a good ambasador for the community. I don't know if he was acting or not. Which, IIRC was another thing he did on a daytime soap opera.

Paul Mon

ras314
01-11-2005, 03:30 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote jjinfla:</font><hr> As far as Ewa I know a guy who strips over his tongue every time he sees any part of her body.
<hr /></blockquote>
Hey Jake, didn't realize you knew me. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

I must admit she looks a whole lot better in person than on TV

Chris Cass
01-12-2005, 12:15 AM
Hi Landshark,

I agree with you. He shouldn't try to predict what the next shot should be or what someone should have done. That goes for all of them actually. There's so many ways to go and what's right for one might be suicide for another. Especially Mitch. He doesn't play a lick as far as I know.

I'm with you on this one. Comment on the outcome and be suggestive to what you would have done is a lot more pleasing then someone dictating what the players going to do next. It's only their prespective anyway.

I like the DCC comentarys. They'll be like 4 players all experienced to the tune of 20 yrs or more and they dsay what they would do and watch to see what the players will do. That's fun to listen to and really fun for them. I can tell.

Listened to one match with Cornbred Red, Grady, Danny Deliberto and another I think it was Allen Hopkins. It was fun to listen to and made you feel like you were in the match. lol

Regards,

C.C.

Rich R.
01-12-2005, 03:54 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote jjinfla:</font><hr> As far as Ewa I know a guy who strips over his tongue every time he sees any part of her body.
<hr /></blockquote>
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote ras314:</font><hr> Hey Jake, didn't realize you knew me. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

I must admit she looks a whole lot better in person than on TV <hr /></blockquote>
Listen guys, here is the true test.

One very early morning, at Valley Forge, I ran into Ewa at the hotel gift shop. She was just wearing some old sweats, her hair wasn't done up yet and she wasn't wearing any make-up.

She still looked great! /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Like him or not, Mitch is one lucky guy.

jjinfla
01-12-2005, 05:48 AM
Ras,

Ewa came to Florida a couple years ago and we were sitting only six feet from her while she was practicing with Tiffany Nelson. That should have read "trips" and not "strips" in my previous post.

As far as commentators predicting what a player is planning on shooting I think it is great. Especially when guys like Billy Incardona or Mike Sigel, or Grady Mathews do it. It gets me thinking of all the options that a player has.

I remember one game where Billy, and I forget who his partner was, had described three different possibilities that the player could take. Then after the player took the shot, Billy said, "or he can do that". LOL

What I really would like to see in these games would be a live mike on the player and be able to hear him talking to himself about what shot he is planning, and why. But that would be expecting too much.

Jake

SPetty
01-12-2005, 10:10 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote jjinfla:</font><hr> What I really would like to see in these games would be a live mike on the player and be able to hear him talking to himself about what shot he is planning, and why. But that would be expecting too much.<hr /></blockquote>Howdy Jake,

I haven't yet watched them, but I bought a few accu-stats where there is a "player commentary" with it - where the commentary is done after the match, I think, and the player that was playing does the commentary on himself. I think that's the closest we can come to being inside the player's head.