PDA

View Full Version : "Bravo" and "Billiards"

Tom_In_Cincy
01-06-2005, 05:46 PM
Like Celebirty Poker, Now--- Celebity Pool

Bravo New Release (http://www.multichannel.com/index.asp?layout=articlePrint&articleid=CA491094)

Scott Lee
01-06-2005, 08:14 PM
Tom...Too bad they can't think far enough to include 'real' pool celebrities teamed up with their "tv/movie" stars! JAM was just talking about this the other day!

Scott

candyman74
01-06-2005, 09:38 PM
i saw this too Tom it will be interesting to see the feedback after the first one aires...

jjinfla
01-07-2005, 06:35 AM
That Google search sure is nice!

Charlie Williams should get a piece of this action. It sounds like a rip off of his Patriot Cup that he held for a couple years here in Tampa. Stars from NE playing Stars from the South. Maybe Charlie should contact ESPN to be their technical advisor. He really could be invaluable to them in letting them know what works and what doesn't.

Or, they both may be based on the Mosconi Cup.

But it sounds interesting and should be fun for both the players and the fans. I wonder if it will be mixed teams, M/F?

It should be a win-win-win for ESPN-Fans-Players.

Jake

9 Ball Girl
01-07-2005, 07:48 AM
You know I had heard or read about something like this some time ago (I wish I could find the post) and I could've sworn that it was suppose to be celebrities against real Pros.

catscradle
01-07-2005, 08:30 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote 9 Ball Girl:</font><hr> You know I had heard or read about something like this some time ago (I wish I could find the post) and I could've sworn that it was suppose to be celebrities against real Pros. <hr /></blockquote>

Many, many years ago before cable there was some kind of celebrity/pro thing on network TV.
Recently IIRC ESPN had a celebrity / wheelchair amatuer partners match as part of their broadcast of the wheelchair tournament in FL.
Maybe you were thinking of either of those.

landshark77
01-07-2005, 08:32 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote 9 Ball Girl:</font><hr> You know I had heard or read about something like this some time ago (I wish I could find the post) and I could've sworn that it was suppose to be celebrities against real Pros. <hr /></blockquote>

IMO, that would be better. I have never watched the Celebrity poker, but I am kinda scared about how pool will be portrayed. I hope they will at least have celebs that can shoot. /ccboard/images/graemlins/crazy.gif But all in all a guess any attempt to make pool more popular works. I saw where ESPN is having a new show (a darma??) about the life of a poker player...I was thinking it would be 500 times more interesting if it was a pool player...

Fred Agnir
01-07-2005, 09:11 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote catscradle:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote 9 Ball Girl:</font><hr> You know I had heard or read about something like this some time ago (I wish I could find the post) and I could've sworn that it was suppose to be celebrities against real Pros. <hr /></blockquote>

Many, many years ago before cable there was some kind of celebrity/pro thing on network TV.
Recently IIRC ESPN had a celebrity / wheelchair amatuer partners match as part of their broadcast of the wheelchair tournament in FL.
Maybe you were thinking of either of those.
<hr /></blockquote> They had NFL players and pro pool players teamed up in Scotch Doubles 9-ball format. They also had cheerleaders one time. Booh, hiss.

Fred

9 Ball Girl
01-07-2005, 09:25 AM
No it wasn't either one of those. This was mentioned probably the middle of last year 'cause as soon as I read it, I remember thinking that Jennifer Barretta would probably be involved in it. I'm going to look for the post later when I have time.

landshark77
01-07-2005, 09:44 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote 9 Ball Girl:</font><hr> No it wasn't either one of those. This was mentioned probably the middle of last year 'cause as soon as I read it, I remember thinking that Jennifer Barretta would probably be involved in it. I'm going to look for the post later when I have time. <hr /></blockquote>

It wasn't that thing sponsored by the beer people was it..bud light I think?? /ccboard/images/graemlins/confused.gif Maybe not..hummmmmmm.

9 Ball Girl
01-07-2005, 11:04 AM
No. That's that thing she's going to do with the other young lady that's a Dart champion.

Wait! I remember!!! I saw it in one of the Billiards Digest mags in their "What's New" section towards the beginning of the issue. I don't think it's called "What's New" but you get the picture.

Wally_in_Cincy
01-07-2005, 11:32 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote 9 Ball Girl:</font><hr> No. That's that thing she's going to do with the other young lady that's a Dart champion.

Wait! I remember!!! I saw it in one of the Billiards Digest mags in their "What's New" section towards the beginning of the issue. I don't think it's called "What's New" but you get the picture. <hr /></blockquote>

Geez, do I have to do everything around here? /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

the thread you're looking for (http://www.billiardsdigest.com/ccboard/showthreaded.php?Cat=&amp;Board=ccb&amp;Number=163662&amp;page =&amp;view=&amp;sb=&amp;o=)

9 Ball Girl
01-07-2005, 12:28 PM
Thanks Wally! But that wasn't it...I wish BD would have downloadable issues on their site. When I read it in BD, it mentioned nothing on Mars Callahan.

Scott Lee
01-07-2005, 02:37 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote 9 Ball Girl:</font><hr> Thanks Wally! But that wasn't it...I wish BD would have downloadable issues on their site. When I read it in BD, it mentioned nothing on Mars Callahan. <hr /></blockquote>

Wendy and Wally...EXCUSE ME? Mars Callahan, a "legendary" poolplayer who has won half a MILLION in tournament prizes?
Uhhhhhhh...BULLPUCKY! Mr. Callahan could not possibly have won that kind of money, when he can barely play well enough to b.s. his way through his own movie, imo. The REAL test? Nobody has ever HEARD of Mars Callahan in the pool scene, outside of his involvement with PHJ...a crummy pool movie that dogged in the theaters so badly, it was cancelled after 3 weeks and went straight to video/dvd. For the record, I love all pool movies, and have seen PHJ a half dozen times...but that doesn't make it good! LOL Rick Schroeder couldn't pass as a pro player in that movie, if his LIFE depended on it. Either Bob LeBlanc (pro technical advisor for the movie) doesn't know how to make actors look like real poolplayers, or Mars wouldn't let him. Got to be one of those two. I know that I could have at least made those actors believable as pro poolplayers, if I had the chance! Christopher Walken and Rod Steiger saved that movie from being a total dog, imho. Many folks didn't like COM, but PHJ couldn't even hold a cue to COM...and neither can compare with the orginal Hustler! Again, I loved them all, because, like Wendy said, they are POOL movies! /ccboard/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Scott Lee

Bob_Jewett
01-07-2005, 03:15 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Scott Lee:</font><hr> ... The REAL test? Nobody has ever HEARD of Mars Callahan in the pool scene, outside of his involvement with PHJ...<hr /></blockquote>
I believe he has changed his stage name recently. I think it was Ralph Greenleaf before. /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif

monkeydude20
01-07-2005, 06:07 PM
Man, that's a really good idea. Way to go Bravo.
Jk /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Scott Lee
01-07-2005, 09:10 PM
/ccboard/images/graemlins/tongue.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/blush.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/shocked.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif LOL Bob! He'd have to play at LEAST that good!

Scott

SRpool
01-08-2005, 01:54 AM
Wendy,

Could it possibly have been the thing that the BCA was talking about doing. It was in Billiards Digest a few months ago? They were talking about doing a televised thing with 20 or so pros and celebrities? That was all that came to mind when you mentioned Billiards Digest and a televised pool challenge. I think it was for a certain charity...maybe the Billiard Education Foundation.

Take care,
Sarah

Rich R.
01-08-2005, 06:14 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote 9 Ball Girl:</font><hr> No it wasn't either one of those. This was mentioned probably the middle of last year 'cause as soon as I read it, I remember thinking that Jennifer Barretta would probably be involved in it. I'm going to look for the post later when I have time. <hr /></blockquote>
Wendy, this was discussed on AZB, some time ago.
Melissa Herndon is involved, not Jennifer Barretta.
http://www.azbilliards.com/vbulletin/upload/showthread.php?t=8158

9 Ball Girl
01-08-2005, 08:30 AM
Sarah -

Yes! That was it! I wish I still had that issue.

9 Ball Girl
01-08-2005, 08:31 AM
hi Rich, I do remember that thread in AZB but that came later after the thing I'm talking about. Sarah remembers what I'm talking about.

SRpool
01-08-2005, 10:13 PM
Wendy,

If I remember right didn't that article say it was going to take place in January? I can't remember what month that story was published. I remember thinking that it was a really great idea. I hope it works out.

Take care,
Sarah

9 Ball Girl
01-09-2005, 10:33 AM
Sarah,

I really can't remember the month that it was suppose to take place, but I do remember that it was for the early part of this year.