PDA

View Full Version : Is it just me ...or

cueball1950
01-06-2005, 07:59 PM
Is it just me or does anybody here notice that when watching the ladies play on TV we , the public, always get a butt shot of the woman player who is shooting. Don't get me wrong, i love women as much as the next guy, butt,,
when i am watching an interesting pool match i want to watch pool. not some camera angle where they are filming up and over the butt. I think that this is very degrading to the women players and i would B***H about it.. I don't know, maybe i am just old fashioned but i don't think that loking at a womans butt is part of the game......mike

pooltchr
01-07-2005, 04:16 AM
Mike,
I would like to think that the camera man is trying to stay out of the player's line of sight....but then...it's ESPN!!!
Steve

Vagabond
01-07-2005, 05:12 AM
This became part of our American culture.Many are fascinated with it.one time I saw on TV the camera focussed on the first lady of the USA`s .......
Look at all the new cars from 2002 and on.They spruced up the derierres of the cars.If one likes narrow and tight one can go for cougar and if one likes little elaborate and fancy one can go for Nissan Ultima and the list goes on.Cheers
vagabond /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

woody_968
01-07-2005, 06:11 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Vagabond:</font><hr> They spruced up the derierres of the cars.If one likes narrow and tight one can go for cougar and if one likes little elaborate and fancy one can go for Nissan Ultima and the list goes on.Cheers
vagabond /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

<hr /></blockquote>

Im starting to think you may be taking your love for cars a little tooo far /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

landshark77
01-07-2005, 09:03 AM
<font color="red">WARNING!: GIRL HERE </font color> /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Ok boys..I have never noticed this at all. From my point of view you play pool bent over. When you bend over someone sees your butt. Girls, when playing pool, tend to bend further than guys. I play guys that kinda lean over and shoot, yet when I play I practically lay on the table. My butt is going to be more obvious than the guy's because of my stance or body position or whatever. Maybe it is you, the viewer, who is noticing the butts because they are girls and you guys are...well...boys? /ccboard/images/graemlins/shocked.gif I mean come on; ESPN is smart enough to know that if they want to spice it up they would go for the cleavage shot! After all there are ample opportunities due to the postioning required to get on the ball. /ccboard/images/graemlins/blush.gif

DavidMorris
01-07-2005, 09:08 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote landshark77:</font><hr>ESPN is smart enough to know that if they want to spice it up they would go for the cleavage shot! After all there are ample opportunities due to the postioning required to get on the ball. /ccboard/images/graemlins/blush.gif<hr /></blockquote>
Heh, there are a few of those too. I finally got around to watching Corr vs Herndon last night (or was it Corr vs. Fisher, I saw both) and on one shot I swear I could see all the way to Karen's navel... through the collar of her shirt.

&lt;~~~ not complaining though! /ccboard/images/graemlins/blush.gif

9 Ball Girl
01-07-2005, 09:18 AM
Damn pool is a sexy sport! I didn't notice any of the "butt shots" either but now that I think of it, they showed more of Jennifer Barretta walking back to her seat than they did Julie Kelly. I could just be imagining it too. But the funny thing is that due to the nature of the sport, having to bend over and all, sometimes it gets into my head and I start to wonder about how I look while I'm shooting certain shots. I've actually have had shots where you have to lift your leg up on the table and I start to feel vulnerable in that position and I worry so much about that that I forget to concentrate on the shot.

Another little thing too since we're on the subject, my sister, who is not into pool but has caught snippets of matches if I happen to be watching one when she's around, was in my house the other night so she had no choice but to watch, and she said, "I see they've finally got feminine women players on TV" and then there was "How come the men look neater and some of the women look sloppy knowing that they're going to be on TV?"

How am I suppose to answer that?

catscradle
01-07-2005, 09:24 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote landshark77:</font><hr> <font color="red">WARNING!: GIRL HERE </font color> /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Ok boys..I have never noticed this at all. From my point of view you play pool bent over. When you bend over someone sees your butt. Girls, when playing pool, tend to bend further than guys. I play guys that kinda lean over and shoot, yet when I play I practically lay on the table. My butt is going to be more obvious than the guy's because of my stance or body position or whatever. Maybe it is you, the viewer, who is noticing the butts because they are girls and you guys are...well...boys? /ccboard/images/graemlins/shocked.gif I mean come on; ESPN is smart enough to know that if they want to spice it up they would go for the cleavage shot! After all there are ample opportunities due to the postioning required to get on the ball. /ccboard/images/graemlins/blush.gif
<hr /></blockquote>

I agree with you, bending over shooting pool expose butts, nothing sexist about it. There might however be something sexist about my enjoyment of it. As my aunt used to say about my uncle, "When he stops looking, start shoveling dirt on his face, he's dead."
BTW, I think the reason women tend to bend over more than men is 1. overcoming a shorter reach and 2. being more flexibility than men.

PQQLK9
01-07-2005, 09:50 AM
"I see they've finally got feminine women players on TV" and then there was "How come the men look neater and some of the women look sloppy knowing that they're going to be on TV?"

I agree with your sister.

As Oprah says "if you don't try to look your best on national TV, when will you do it"?

landshark77
01-07-2005, 09:57 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote DavidMorris:</font><hr>Heh, there are a few of those too. I finally got around to watching Corr vs Herndon last night (or was it Corr vs. Fisher, I saw both) and on one shot I swear I could see all the way to Karen's navel... through the collar of her shirt.
<hr /></blockquote>

Yeah, I noticed that too, but that was the shirt..not an intentional by ESPN.

Fred Agnir
01-07-2005, 10:09 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote cueball1950:</font><hr> Is it just me or does anybody here notice that when watching the ladies play on TV we , the public, always get a butt shot of the woman player who is shooting. Don't get me wrong, i love women as much as the next guy, butt,,
when i am watching an interesting pool match i want to watch pool. not some camera angle where they are filming up and over the butt. I think that this is very degrading to the women players and i would B***H about it.. I don't know, maybe i am just old fashioned but i don't think that loking at a womans butt is part of the game......mike <hr /></blockquote>I think that angle from behind is also used on the men. It's just that when, say, Alex bends over, it ain't as sexy as when Allison bends over. IMO.

What can I say? I'm a guy.

Fred

Chopstick
01-07-2005, 10:13 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote 9 Ball Girl:</font><hr> ...I start to wonder about how I look while I'm shooting certain shots. <hr /></blockquote>

Does this shot make me look fat? /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Fred Agnir
01-07-2005, 10:13 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote catscradle:</font><hr>
As my aunt used to say about my uncle, "When he stops looking, start shoveling dirt on his face, he's dead."<hr /></blockquote>

'xactly.

[ QUOTE ]
BTW, I think the reason women tend to bend over more than men is 1. overcoming a shorter reach and 2. being more flexibility than men.
<hr /></blockquote>

And a lower center of balance which causes the hips to fly out more. I think.

Fred

Vagabond
01-08-2005, 06:04 AM
Hi woody,
It is not me.Auto Industry is taking advantage of the cultural habits in selling the cars.
when Bill Clinton became the President,the designer of his suit created particular shape around his derierre to make it more attractive considering the fact of American fascination for derierre( I remember reading this in GQ magazine).
Cheers
vagabond /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Rich R.
01-08-2005, 06:30 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Fred Agnir:</font><hr>And a lower center of balance which causes the hips to fly out more. I think.<hr /></blockquote>
Your the engineer and I'm sure you have done exhaustive research on this subject.
I'll have to take your word for it. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

jjinfla
01-08-2005, 08:01 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote 9 Ball Girl:</font><hr> Another little thing too since we're on the subject, my sister, who is not into pool but has caught snippets of matches if I happen to be watching one when she's around, was in my house the other night so she had no choice but to watch, and she said, "I see they've finally got feminine women players on TV" and then there was "How come the men look neater and some of the women look sloppy knowing that they're going to be on TV?"

How am I suppose to answer that? <hr /></blockquote>

I'll bet she was referring to Monica Webb. It was a shame that here Monica has a chance in a lifetime - to be on TV - where millions of people can see her perform and she doesn't take the time to properly present herself. Hairdo, makeup and wardrobe all wrong. I guess she is too young to remember Nixon. Just not presenting the image that a sponsor is looking for in my opinion.

Jake

9 Ball Girl
01-08-2005, 08:20 AM
Yeah, Monica Webb is one of them and this time she was referring to Jeannie Seaver. Her main beef, though, is in her words, "why do these women look like men. They don't have to look like that."

Ives
01-08-2005, 08:26 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote jjinfla:</font><hr>

I'll bet she was referring to Monica Webb. It was a shame that here Monica has a chance in a lifetime - to be on TV - where millions of people can see her perform and she doesn't take the time to properly present herself. Hairdo, makeup and wardrobe all wrong. I guess she is too young to remember Nixon. Just not presenting the image that a sponsor is looking for in my opinion.

Jake
<hr /></blockquote>

You need to remember one thing, these players enter a tournament, not to be on TV, but to play pool and hopefully win. They should wear whatever they feel comfortable in. ( within reason ). You could end up sharking yourself because your more worried about how your new outfit looks on TV instead of the table layout in front of you. Enjoy pool on TV for the skill of the players, not there appearance. JMHO /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Wally_in_Cincy
01-08-2005, 08:27 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote 9 Ball Girl:</font><hr> Yeah, Monica Webb is one of them <hr /></blockquote>

Monica is a very pretty lady. She needs to get with the "Queer Eye" crew for a makeover. She could look great on the tube with some work. She seems to be rather photogenic. IMO

<blockquote><font class="small">Quote 9 Ball Girl:</font><hr>
...this time she was referring to Jeannie Seaver. <hr /></blockquote>

I think Jeanie was shocked to find herself on tv. She probably didn't have anything better to wear.

<blockquote><font class="small">Quote 9 Ball Girl:</font><hr> "why do these women look like men. They don't have to look like that." <hr /></blockquote>

Unfortunately, I think some of them want to look like men /ccboard/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

pooltchr
01-08-2005, 08:39 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Ives:</font><hr> these players enter a tournament, not to be on TV, but to play pool and hopefully win. They should wear whatever they feel comfortable in. ( within reason ). You could end up sharking yourself because your more worried about how your new outfit looks on TV instead of the table layout in front of you. Enjoy pool on TV for the skill of the players, not there appearance. JMHO /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

<hr /></blockquote>

If you have a sponsor...or would like one, I would think it might be a good idea to be prepared when you enter an event that might put you on television, to be prepared. Comfort and style do not have to cancel each other out. It is possible to find something that looks good and still lets you play in comfort.

Ives
01-08-2005, 08:59 AM
Don't get me wrong Steve, i'm not saying that holy sweats and a pit stained t-shirt are exceptable attire /ccboard/images/graemlins/blush.gif the player should just be able to wear what "they" feel is comfortable. Whatever helps them to win there match.

Fred Agnir
01-08-2005, 09:19 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Wally_in_Cincy:</font><hr>
Monica is a very pretty lady. She needs to get with the "Queer Eye" crew for a makeover. She could look great on the tube with some work. She seems to be rather photogenic. IMO
<hr /></blockquote>The LPGA went through this a few years back. They have now a full fashion consultant team that every player is supposed to get with, AFAIK.

And yes, Monica is a very pretty young woman with a smile that can melt hearts.

Fred

DavidMorris
01-08-2005, 09:32 AM
Agreed about Monica, she is an attractive woman. If she'd just lose the man pants and the crazy hair. Maybe a drive down to Murphy's Brass Rail is in order. I can bring along a petition signed by all of CCB. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Is it just me or has Karen started dressing a little more stylish lately? About time, she's only been in 95% of TV matches for the last 4 years or so. She dressed so frumpy and "garage sale" for so long. And her glasses -- are they some sort of Decot type frames, or does she wear them like that all the time? They're very unflattering. I've always thought that Karen was a pretty lady, but she's fought so hard to hide it. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Gayle in MD
01-08-2005, 10:08 AM
Hi there friend,
Well then, I am old fashioned too, although I am sure it is unavoidable at times camera wise. Tell you the truth, I would like to see pool have the same class as golf.

As a woman I have more respect for the ladies who dress like classy ladies.

IMO, Allison is the best dressed woman of all the pro women. She looks casual &amp; comfortable, but her outfits have some class and dignity. She always looks well put together, and you aren't annoyed watching constant garment adjustments required by "nightclub" looking outfits, worn by some of the other ladies.

Allison gets an A+ all around.

Gayle in Md. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Billy
01-08-2005, 10:10 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote 9 Ball Girl:</font><hr> Damn pool is a sexy sport! I didn't notice any of the "butt shots" either but now that I think of it, they showed more of Jennifer Barretta walking back to her seat than they did Julie Kelly. I could just be imagining it too. But the funny thing is that due to the nature of the sport, having to bend over and all, sometimes it gets into my head and I start to wonder about how I look while I'm shooting certain shots. I've actually have had shots where you have to lift your leg up on the table and I start to feel vulnerable in that position and I worry so much about that that I forget to concentrate on the shot.

Another little thing too since we're on the subject, my sister, who is not into pool but has caught snippets of matches if I happen to be watching one when she's around, was in my house the other night so she had no choice but to watch, and she said, "I see they've finally got feminine women players on TV" and then there was "How come the men look neater and some of the women look sloppy knowing that they're going to be on TV?"

How am I suppose to answer that? <hr /></blockquote>

with the truth ...:)

and if you have a problem with your leg in the air wearing pants then the problem is just yours.we will look at the ladies regardless of how they dress or lack of ... so just take your best shot

it is incredible though the amount of women playing serious pool, definately a good thing!

jmo

landshark77
01-08-2005, 12:11 PM
OK I'm back with more opinions....

....I am a BIG tomboy...and I dress like one too. Granted, my pool playin' skills are not up to par to land me on TV, but if they were you bet that I am gonna dress comfortable and in what I think is cool. Yeah, I think what some of the ladies wore on TV is hideous...but I would think that if I saw them wearing the same out fit in Wal-Mart, LOL. But to each there own...there are plenty of people in this world that would think that the outfits I find less appealing are totally cool. I don't remember what Monica was wearing on TV, but I think Monica has style from what I have seen her wear off camera. I LOVE short hair...and any woman who can pull that off and look cool also then YEAH! way to go! What exactly is it that everyone wants to see these ladies in? I could never pull off what Jenn Barretta wore as I just wouldn't be comfortable. I also wouldn't have worn what Jeannie Seaver wore, nor would I have chosen Julie Kelly's outfit...but that is just me. Let's remember it is ESPN, not the style channel. Focus on the game. JMHO.

Qtec
01-08-2005, 02:03 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I could never pull off what Jenn Barretta wore <hr /></blockquote>

... I guess that puts you in the minority then. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

There,s guys on here who dream about that! /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Q

landshark77
01-08-2005, 03:00 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Qtec:</font><hr> &lt;/font&gt;&lt;blockquote&gt;&lt;font class="small"&gt;Quote:&lt;/font&gt;&lt;hr /&gt;
I could never pull off what Jenn Barretta wore <hr /></blockquote>

... I guess that puts you in the minority then. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

There,s guys on here who dream about that! /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Q <hr /></blockquote>

Well............ /ccboard/images/graemlins/blush.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

BTW, do most girls wanna pull off her clothes??? /ccboard/images/graemlins/confused.gif

Popcorn
01-08-2005, 03:16 PM
I never watch the pool on tv but I watched today to see what you were talking about and I didn't see anything I would call unusual.

Chopstick
01-09-2005, 07:53 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote landshark77:</font><hr>
BTW, do most girls wanna pull off her clothes??? /ccboard/images/graemlins/confused.gif <hr /></blockquote>

Most of the girls I know do it for a living. BadaBing /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

ChopStick &lt;~~~VIP at the Boom Boom Room.

Chopstick
01-09-2005, 07:57 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Qtec:</font><hr>
There,s
<hr /></blockquote>

Q is there something going on with your keyboard? I notice you keep putting commas where apostrophes belong.

<font color="blue">There's </font color>