PDA

View Full Version : Contact Point

Rod
01-06-2005, 09:03 PM
This is beeing discussed in another thread to some degree. What I want to know is, do you pool players actually see a contact point?

Rod

Cane
01-06-2005, 09:12 PM
Rod, I'll occasionally look at a contact patch, but only to deterime where to aim the center of the CB for the aiming method I use. I do NOT focus on the contact patch while I'm shooting the shot, rather I aim at the point where I wan't to send the center or edge of the CB.

Later,
Bob

GeraldG
01-06-2005, 09:16 PM
Well, sort of. What I try to do is find some sort of marking on the ball or something like that that I can use for a reference. For instance, something like "directly under that little point on the number 2" (if it's the 2-ball I'm shooting at) or a visible spot on the ball of some sort to use for reference. Sometimes the ball is just turned the wrong way to be able to do that, but you might find a spot on the cloth beside the ball to use for a reference. Failing that, I just keep my eye on the spot on the ball that I've picked and try to mentally measure the distance to it from the edge of the ball once I've walked back around the table to the cueball.

I heard a guy one time say that he used the reflections from the overhead light. I never did figure that one out. Doesn't matter though because it apparently didn't work real well for him. He wasn't that good.

stickman
01-06-2005, 10:41 PM
I do, on most shots. An exception would be on a spot shot. Then I aim at the object ball edge.

pooltchr
01-07-2005, 04:28 AM
For most shots, I use the contact point to determine the actual aiming point. Once that has been established, I try to remain focused on the aiming point.
Steve

JimS
01-07-2005, 04:55 AM
Some times, for reasons I don't at all understand, I just can't find the ghost ball and on those occasions I try to find a contact point, or use one of Hal's methods, or unscrew and stomp off to get a burger or something /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

DavidMorris
01-07-2005, 06:23 AM
Yes, as I explained in that other other thread, I usually have trouble with pure ghost ball aiming. I have better luck with picking a contact point on the OB and focusing on it. Having something real to focus on instead of an imaginary point in space or on the table just works better for me.

GeraldG
01-07-2005, 06:36 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote DavidMorris:</font><hr> Yes, as I explained in that other other thread, I usually have trouble with pure ghost ball aiming. I have better luck with picking a contact point on the OB and focusing on it. Having something real to focus on instead of an imaginary point in space or on the table just works better for me. <hr /></blockquote>

Aim small, miss small. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Qtec
01-07-2005, 12:49 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Cane:</font><hr> Rod, I'll occasionally look at a contact patch, but only to deterime where to aim the center of the CB for the aiming method I use. I do NOT focus on the contact patch while I'm shooting the shot, rather I aim at the point where I wan't to send the center or edge of the CB.

Later,
Bob
<hr /></blockquote>

Ditto.

Qtec

SpiderMan
01-07-2005, 01:20 PM
Rod,

If the cueball and object ball are near, I almost always visualize the point of contact (the actual location on the object-ball surface where the collision occurs).

For table-length separations, especially if it's a thin cut, I'm more likely to visualize the ghost ball (or the ghost's resting point on the cloth, to judge my center-of-geometry aim) because of the difficulty of seeing an imaginary contact point.

You outshot me whenever we played - what do you do?

SpiderMan

jjinfla
01-07-2005, 01:28 PM
Only when I want to make the shot.

Of course on a spot shot for me it is a pure stroke with a half ball hit with the cue ball on the headstring 4 balls from the rail.

But then too the aiming point on the spot shot becomes the edge of the OB which I split with my cue as I aim. But of course that is not the contact point.

So I guess that my real answer should be sometimes.

Jake

Rod
01-07-2005, 04:19 PM
Well, I was just curious mostly. I mean, I hear people say they look at the contact point. I haven't a clue where an actual contact point really is on the o/b or c/b for that matter. I can't see the back of the c/b. LOL All I see is the amount of ball overlap for an angle, or covered completely on a full ball hit, equal distance if you will. To me it sure seems a lot simpler than trying to focus on a small spot.

On long thin cuts using english or not, I see a small overlap. It's just with english no matter how you aim, you have to trust your stroke, speed mostly, to let swerve counteract any squirt.

Remember I started playing (just after the wheel)LOL so instruction books were few especially where I lived. I bought an old Mosconi little red book and that is all I had. Although I think there was reference to a ball, ghost ball of sort, but it wasn't called that. It was there to identify how much of the c/b contacted the o/b at different angles. So in short, all I play is the angle by amount of ball hit.(I look at the whole ball as opposed to a spot) Whether that is 3/4 ball, 1/2 ball, 1/4 ball I don't know exactly because it's always takes fine tuneing. I can be aware of 1/2 ball hits etc, but for the most part I don't find it necessary.

Rod

monkeydude20
01-07-2005, 06:04 PM
I used to but I usually just play by feel now adays. Occasionally I'll pick a point on the ball to aim for if it's a pretty tough shot.
J─kÚ /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

vapoolplayer
01-07-2005, 06:47 PM
the way i aim involves breaking the ferrule down into 5 different parts, depending on the shot. the only spot i look at on the object ball is the contact point.

jjinfla
01-07-2005, 07:30 PM
Rod,

After thinking some more I believe that it is on the short shots, especially cut shots, where I look at a specific spot on the OB. By short I mean a short distance between CB and OB, less than 2 feet.

I imagine it is like typing. At first you think of a letter you want to type then you figure out what finger covers that letter then you type it. And at first you memorize the keyboard. Then you see a letter and then the proper finger strikes the proper key. Then you see a word and it automatically appears on the page. No thinking involved. It is automatic. That is the way I typed this. Now if you were to ask me where a particular key is located on the keyboard I couldn't do it without thinking about it and which finger covers it.

So basically I believe that people who have played for some time have programmed themselves to make the shots and for them to try and explain where they aim will put them at a loss because it is so automatic for them. They should just be thankful they can do it and continue doing it. Jake

Alfie
01-08-2005, 12:46 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote vapoolplayer:</font><hr> the way i aim involves breaking the ferrule down into 5 different parts, depending on the shot. the only spot i look at on the object ball is the contact point. <hr /></blockquote>details, please

vapoolplayer
01-08-2005, 01:21 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Alfie:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote vapoolplayer:</font><hr> the way i aim involves breaking the ferrule down into 5 different parts, depending on the shot. the only spot i look at on the object ball is the contact point. <hr /></blockquote>details, please <hr /></blockquote>

you're the second or third person to ask me to post it. check for a new thread i'll be starting here in a minute. it will explain it in detail. if you have any questions after you read it, just let me know.

thanks

DialUp
01-08-2005, 10:31 PM
I can easily see the contact point on the OB (as if I were hitting it with the tip). I have a good idea what part of the CB needs to hit that spot so I make sure that part of the CB hits that spot.

I can see the back side of the CB because it looks exactly like the front side /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif I look through the front side to determine if the back side will run through the spot on the OB.

Most of the time I am right on but it took a good decade to develope the "feel" and "eye" to be 99% sure I am aiming right...