PDA

View Full Version : Increased Performance After Watching Movie?

Sid_Vicious
05-24-2002, 10:21 AM
I wondered if I'm of the minority...I watched a movie "Bagger" somethin'(I can't remember the whole name) and there were inspiritational moments in this game about an underdog golfer competing with some well known world renowned golfers, one moment with statements of wisdom like "Everyone has an authentic stroke, nobody can teach it to you, it's all yours." Then of course the limping underdog made his run at the champions. Eventually the guy got over confident and was taken back a notch but finally made his mark with an eventual tie after calling a foul on himself. Anyway I felt some of the enthusiasm and individual "spark" in my stroke today after clearing the table and hitting some balls, and it made me wonder if possibly some pre match training methods of players might actually involve seeing such movies like this one, and maybe Tin Cup, etc. Do good ending sports movies with deep messages about moral conduct affect y'all???sid

05-24-2002, 10:46 AM

bigalerickson
05-24-2002, 11:35 AM
The Movie is Legend of Bagger Vance, for those interested.

While I played football, 4 years in highschool, two in college, I almost always watched an inspirationanl movie the night before. A movie, just as a good book, or play, can play into our emotions and help us move towards a mental state of what a lot people call "the zone."

It is cerainly true, that winning character is ultimately what will define how each one of us plays, sometimes our psyche needs some motivation to move that direction. Maybe its a kiss, or a whisper in the ear, or an ending to a great movie, or seeing a kid shooting on a couple tables down. those are the types of things that may push us to inspiration to play with the character that is within us.

SPetty
05-24-2002, 12:06 PM
I was hoping to be inspired by watching videos while recently recuperating from some surgery that had me off my feet for six of the past eight weeks. I caught up on some pool instructional videos, I took advantage of Bert Kinister's $10 tape offer and bought the first one that "everyone" says is so good (I admitted to Bert when I met up with him in Vegas that it put me to sleep!), and I watched about a half dozen accu-stat videos. Well, in spite of watching all those videos, I still lost pretty quick in Vegas. My game wasn't up to par because I had just come off a six-week layoff. The interim videos just couldn't fix that. Next time I'll know to watch the Legend of Bagger Vance instead!

Wally_in_Cincy
05-24-2002, 12:28 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: whitewolf:</font><hr> BTW, there is a book I like (sort of similar to just seeing a good movie), written by Capielle (sp?) - "The Mind Game of Pool" (or something like that), that will get you psyched up for life if you are serious about pool<hr></blockquote>

"A Mind for Pool" You're right. It is a good book.

MikeM
05-24-2002, 12:40 PM
Confidence is a big part of success in any sport. Having confidence will always improve your play. IMO watching a movie that shows the underdog rising up to meet the challenge inspires confidence (if that loser can do it, so can I).

Other movies that can "pump you up":

Rocky (the first one)
Rudy (one of my favorites)
Remember the Titans
Breaking Away

Those are just a few that I could come up with. Anybody else have additions?

In one particular part of The Legend of Bagger Vance, Bagger tells Junnuh that there comes a time in life where you just have to lay your burdens aside. I don't do the scene justice, but the way it was written and delivered by Will Smith, it really hit home with me. I was struggling with a particularly difficult family situation at the time and this simple line in a movie helped me just put it aside and improved my mental outlook immediately. I am always amazed at the power of movies (and books, music, etc.) to inspire, motivate and just generally move people.

MM

Wally_in_Cincy
05-24-2002, 12:58 PM
Greetings Sid,

If you play on a league team, watch "Remember The Titans". You'll develop a whole new appreciation for your teammates.

I've told this story before. I went to Valley Forge in 2000. I watched the ladies for 3 days with their smooth strokes and sound fundamentals (as opposed to many of the men /ccboard/images/icons/smile.gif ) When I played that next week I felt significant improvement in my stroke. Someone here once called it "Hitch hiking". Also after I watch Mike Sigel's "Runout Series" I think I play better.

JMO

Kato
05-24-2002, 02:08 PM
"From Rags To Rifleman" was just awesome. What a great read.

Kato

Ralph S.
05-24-2002, 02:12 PM
You're right Mike, "Rudy" is a very good movie.
Ralph S.

Sid_Vicious
05-24-2002, 03:32 PM
"In one particular part of The Legend of Bagger Vance, Bagger tells Junnuh that there comes a time in life where you just have to lay your burdens aside. I don't do the scene justice, but the way it was written and delivered by Will Smith, it really hit home with me. I was struggling with a particularly difficult family situation at the time and this simple line in a movie helped me just put it aside and improved my mental outlook immediately. I am always amazed at the power of movies (and books, music, etc.) to inspire, motivate and just generally move people."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~~~~~~~~

You hit upon that tune point I encountered,,,just somethin' in the way that they can blend life into some peices of literature and art, this being in the form of a fictional movie. Will Smith portrayed a cool character...sid

Sid_Vicious
05-24-2002, 03:39 PM
I've been under a rock,,,never seen that movie,.I have something to look forward to, thanks!!!sid

Tom_In_Cincy
05-24-2002, 03:44 PM
I wouldn't suggest that watching this movie would give you increased performance.
But, it did do a pretty good job of showing how a baseball pitcher gets ready to pitch.

"Clear the Mechanism" was what the pitcher would think to himself, the camera would make everything fuzzy except the catcher and the catcher's mitt.

The movie was "For the Love of the Game" and mostly it was a chick flick. But, there was some great baseball scenes for the guys.

Tom_In_Cincy
05-24-2002, 03:48 PM
Besides the movies and video tapes that have been mentioned, seeing the PROS play LIVE, is seeing the game played at a much higher level.

Being at the event and watching it up close and LIVE, rather than seeing the broadcast or tape delayed action, is the best way to get pumped, excited or just in the "hich hiking" (I like that prase Wally) mood of playing better.

Never pass up a chance to see the Pros at work. It will always be a pleasurable and uplifting experience.

Sid_Vicious
05-24-2002, 04:11 PM
What I gained from that movie was that the thinking process, mainly not thinking of the immediate pressure of pitching baseball but instead of re-focusing on a deeper set of thoughts, produced internal bliss without any symptoms of fear. That is, no fear UNTIL he found out he was sitting on top of a possible no hitter, then the game got tough. Isn't that the way our zones go in pool, once you return to reality and see what you are about to accomplish with a run or a series of wins, it suddenly changes. Hell the best I've played was after one of those mind bending rolls in the hay on a sunny afternoon, one of those times that surpasses the physical if you know what I mean...sid~~~even those around sid was amazed back then...if only it could be bottled and saved

Tom_In_Cincy
05-24-2002, 04:27 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote:</font><hr>Hell the best I've played was after one of those mind bending rolls in the hay on a sunny afternoon, one of those times that surpasses the physical if you know what I mean...sid~~~<hr></blockquote>

Well Sid, I have to admit.. there wasn't much hay envolved, just a soft bed and an excited couple. But, playing pool is not what I wanted to do after that experience.

Doctor_D
05-24-2002, 07:29 PM
Good evening:

Considering the fact that most of us are "Visual", as opposed to auditory, olfactory, tactile, etc., watching a high level performance will inevitably have a positive effect on your game. I for one; after spending some serious time watching professionals like Allsion Fisher, Karen Corr, Gerda Hofstatter, Vivian Villarial, etc., always experience a higher level of perfomance in my own game.

Dr. D.

Scott Lee
05-24-2002, 07:47 PM
sid...What I thought was the clear connection between that movie and pool was this...Bagger is trying to teach Junnah
that golf is not a game you can win...you can only find your place in the field. Pool is much the same way...when you are able to eliminate the emotion and anxiety from your game, you are better able to perform at peak levels, and reach those levels more consistently. Efren is probably the best example of this...he is maybe the most consistent player on the planet (he is without question the most skilled)! Even when things don't go his way...as they didn't last week in Las Vegas (in an event he has won before)...he was a class act! As always...no whining, no hissyfits, no blaming the equipment, or the audience! Just a smile, and an "oh well...next time" look. It is THAT attitude that propels Efren into "the zone" more often than others. I try to teach people to let go of the negative emotions that are generated by poor performance. It's true:
pool is NOT a game that can be won...you can only find your place in the field! Once you figure that out, your game will automatically improve!

Scott Lee

Drake
05-25-2002, 01:48 PM
Favorite quote from "The legend of Bagger Vance" is "Learn how to stop thinking without falling asleep." For any movie buffs, that movie was filmed very close to Savannah, Ga. This is where I call home. Savannah sucks as far as pool action. Skip Savannah and ride on to Jacksonville or drive on up to Atlanta (home of the Scorpion).

Sid_Vicious
05-26-2002, 10:12 AM
I caught another similarity, Bagger(or maybe the kid?) said something like, "There's no other game where you can call a foul on yourself." Well, pool DUH! I've coughed up wins many-a times by calling a double hit on myself, when I coulda let it slide through. I ain't no saint, I actually learned the hard way from a highly respected group of my peers after I insisted I hit it good. I confess, I was the chump then but not anymore. Anyway enough soap boxing, point is that you can call fouls on yourself and you can't win...only find your place in the field(and push for a higher rung.) sid