PDA

View Full Version : Go for it or learn more?

yegon
01-07-2005, 02:16 PM
I was playng a league for hobby players last year where I finished in 10th place. This year I have two options

1. play the same league with a fair chance to get a cup that is awarded to places 1-3

2. play in a league for players that are registered with our national pool federation. Here I have not much chances to win a tournament or place hign in the rankings, but I can play better platers.

What would you suggest? Should I go for the glory or for the improvement from playing better players?

DavidMorris
01-07-2005, 02:29 PM
Simple: which is more important to you? /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif

We all like the confidence boost we get from winning, but it's a shallow victory when you're playing well above most everyone else's speed. You get bored and complacent, and before you know it the game isn't fun anymore, or your game actually slips a notch.

Playing stronger players will almost invariably improve your game and motivate you to keep your game up. On the other hand, playing "up" too much in a non-handicapped situation can be frustrating, and getting TOO much weight brings the thrill of the game back down near the level of playing against bangers.

Just my opinions, of course...

GeraldG
01-07-2005, 02:41 PM
I agree with what David has said.

If you placed 10th, assuming there were at least 100 people in the field, then you are playing in the top 10% or better of your field. It's time to move up and play better players. Once you are better than 90% of the players you play against, it's difficult to keep improving (at least in my experience) because you will find yourself starting to play down to their level.

Billy_Bob
01-08-2005, 10:08 AM
Play the better players. (Or do both if possible.)

Ives
01-08-2005, 11:55 AM
play wherever you have the most fun, you allready know the people in the " hobbie" league. Try the other one and than decide. And don't worry about playing better people, you should be playing the table anyways.

Rod
01-08-2005, 12:03 PM
Two schools of thought, You haven't won the "glory". You'll still have to improve to get there. There is 9 others players you have to get past.

Sometimes it's better to advance to even better players, your learning process might speed up. However you might be dissapointed if you lose most of the time.

Rod

yegon
01-08-2005, 01:17 PM
I think I am better that my 10-th place finnish, I did not play all the tournaments so I lost a lot of points. I chose to play some straight pool tourneys with the registered players last year because the hobby players tournaments are just 8ball and 9ball and the tourneys run in parallel so I could not attend both.

I was pretty much set to go forth and play with the registered players but I wanted to know what others think. Thank you for reinforcing my decision.

dg-in-centralpa
01-08-2005, 01:29 PM
If you can do both, why not? I'm in one league where the team will not finish higher than 6 out of 14. The depth on the team is missing. Most of the guys only shoot once a week. League night. My Thursday team is more competitive, we are 3rd out of 18 teams. I have one night for fun and one for serious.

DG

yegon
01-23-2005, 04:27 PM
just an update for you guys.

Thanks for all the answers, I decided to go play the stronger players and I have played two tournaments with them allready. And guess what? I won the whole tourney today /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif. It was 9-ball and after losing the first match on the hill I won all the others with a big margin.

I have to say I am much happier about my performance at the table than about my first place finnish. I played a class above my average and this lasted the whole day. It looked like I could not miss a ball. Many times when i got down into my stance I felt that this is it, this is the way a shot should feel. I was able to play my first ever 9ball break and run in a tournament on a big table and serveral nice runouts after my oponent did not make a ball on the break.

I am so thrilled, I hope this was a peek at the way I will be able to play in the future consistently. It sure gives me new energy to continue my training.

Wally_in_Cincy
01-24-2005, 06:20 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote yegon:</font><hr> ...I decided to go play the stronger players and I have played two tournaments with them allready. And guess what? I won the whole tourney today ...<hr /></blockquote>

Congratulations. And good luck on your search for an instructor. Maybe you could send an email to Ralf Soquet. Maybe he knows somebody in Europe who teaches fundamentals. I heard he is pretty good about answering emails.