PDA

View Full Version : How do you gain cntrl of the Tavern Ball /8 ball?

05-24-2002, 10:35 AM
This is a question I must pose to all you eight ball tavern ball loyalists. How does one dramatically increase control of the big rock?

After I field all the answers from you diehard billiard fanatics, I'll tell you the secret that has changed the way I play bar eightball. See you soon.

stickman
05-24-2002, 10:52 AM
Personally, I play more natural leave on tables with a big heavy cue ball than I would on tables with a normal cue ball. English (side spin), and follow work good, while draw can be a little difficult. Not impossible, just difficult. I do much better if I allow the cue ball to take it's natural course with slight modification, rather than trying to force the ball where I want it to go.

Kato
05-24-2002, 11:18 AM
I'm waiting. I play alot of inside english stop shots and natural follow shots. Of course, any extra knowledge I can garner will be accepted.

Kato

Of course, I'm far from a tavern loyalist.

05-24-2002, 12:25 PM
O.K. This is info. I don't share with my local pool buddies. About 2 years ago I was playing 8 ball at my local bar, just trying to break and run. It was terrible a thing to watch. Low and behold, true to bar pool B.S. two strips get stuck in the table and the guy who maintains the tables is on a break. So, I decide to play nine ball instead. Needless to say, all the demanding things that comes with controling the cue for nine ball just wasn't happening. I mean inside english was terrible, draw was terrible, stopping you know. It was if, nine ball just amplified my weaknesses. Then it dawned on me. What would happen to my 8 ball game if I developed the skills to play nine ball adequately with big ball? Thus, the journey began. Every day for at least one year, instead of going through laborious drills all the time, I would donate a certain chunk of practice time to playing 9 ball with the tavern cue. I'd spread the balls on the table, no crazy layout, but no gimme either. Man, I have to say that did wonders for my game. 8 ball became almost like childs play. What I came to realize is, the demands for cueball control in 9 is light years ahead of 8. In 8 you don't need half the control you need in 9. So it stands to reason if you can control the rock in 9 the beast that used to be 8 ball will become a bit tamer. The only thing left to deal with is the clutter factor. Imagine your opponent failing to run out leaving you with all your balls and an open table. No matter how difficult the lay of the land man, you are almost guaranteed to run out, that's unless with this increased ability you become increasingly overconfident. Just thought you guys should know this. It works, it works it works. Try it and let me know something.

Kato
05-24-2002, 01:34 PM
I've been playing 9 ball as my practice game for 8 ball for 4 years. I've recently started playing the 10 ball ghost to help my 9 ball game. I play everything on a 9 footer this helps your bar table game. If you have a nice, solid stroke you can draw the big rock. Follow is just an easier sell with the big rock. Make no mistake, every player I've seen worth his salt on a big track can move the big rock on the small table.

9 ball is a game where you have to get position on the next ball or you have to duck. 8 ball is loaded with bailout shots. In 8 ball you determine early whether to duck or attack, as a 9 ball player I prefer attack. 0f course opinions vary and my strategies may not be the best.

I'm pretty sure most good 9 ball players play good 8 ball but people that just play 8 ball can't play 9 ball.

Kato~~~my .02 worth

stickman
05-24-2002, 01:48 PM
I agree Kato. I played both 8 ball and 9 ball league on bar tables. I much prefer playing on a good billiards table with Simonis, but have no problem on the standard tavern issue. Eight ball is a simple game when you are used to playing 9 ball. Like you said, you have several options for your next shot, not one. You can miss your shape and still have shape on another ball. I draw a ball well on most bar tables, but find it easier to go with the ball's natural tendency most of the time. One of our league locations had the worst cue balls I have ever seen. The balls are worse than just heavy, they are like hitting a mud ball. Everyone I know has a hard time drawing one of these balls. This is where I learned to shoot and let the cueball do it's natural thing, with different speeds and maybe some side english at times.

Ralph S.
05-24-2002, 02:06 PM
Kato, I must disagree with your assessment that an 8 ball player cant play 9 ball. I play 9 ball just as well as 8 ball and 8 ball is my game of preference. I play mainly on barboxes, but learned to play on the big tables and will play them whenever having the opportunity. My game may not be world-class, but it is far from being toward the bottom.
Ralph S.

05-24-2002, 02:15 PM
I have a 14mm shaft for playing on Bar box's, the extra mm gives better control of CB.

05-24-2002, 03:33 PM

cheesemouse
05-24-2002, 08:15 PM
All,
I haven't seen the 'big rock' on a barbox in many years. I thought they were dinasors. Is there an area of the country where they are still prevelent?

Tom_In_Cincy
05-24-2002, 09:14 PM
I haven't seen them either.. well not in the Cincy area..

The balls here are just a little heavier than the rest. Most are the same size as the other balls.

The new Smart Table by Diamond will make it easier for any 9 foot player to adjust to the table .

05-25-2002, 12:15 AM
Unlike most games..
With a big cue ball.. Learn to control your top.. Hit top on almost everyshot you can, break into everything as early as possible, and try to run it out everytime..

When you no longer have 100 percent confidence that you are going to top spin your way out of the rack.. Top spin your opponent a nice hook..

When he says "nice hook, what are you hitting, top spin on everything"?? Acknowledge his interest in the game and reply,

"cool eh, all top"!!

cArson..

cheesemouse
05-25-2002, 07:01 AM
When I did have to play with the big rock I remember having too exaggerate or stretch the follow thru when pulling the rock and that it would plow thru and mess of balls with ease.

Fred Agnir
05-28-2002, 09:26 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: Kato:</font><hr> I play everything on a 9 footer this helps your bar table game. <hr></blockquote>
I don't completely agree with this. Playing any game can benefit any other game. However, like any game, playing that game on that equipment is going to help much more than playing some other game on some other equipment. There's much more traps in bar pool other than pocketing balls.

Fred