PDA

View Full Version : Looking for a Pool Player

Cane
01-08-2005, 09:35 PM
By the way, Nick if you read this one, I AM A REPO MAN on this deal. This guy travels in a motorhome a lot. Hits every pool room he can find. about 55 years old, name is Owen L. Patterson. He had me order a custom made Break cue for him, which I guaranteed payment on, received it when I was out of town, left town and stiffed me for the cue (not much, $275) and wrote checks to my Pool Room totalling $110 on a closed account. He came here from Ohio, but no telling where he is now. All I know about him is he comes off as a really nice and honest gentlemen, who is an auctioneer (did a great job on our Players Auctions), but apparently will rob you blind, even after you take him aside and clean up his stroke problems.

If anyone knows of this guy or where he might be, drop me a line at caneman@clnk.com I'd sure like to give him a visit. I won't walk 10 feet to collect a loan off of an honest man, but I'd drive across the country to catch up to a thief!!!

Thanks,
Bob

PQQLK9
01-08-2005, 09:46 PM
Ouch! If I hear anything about this bum's whereabouts I will let you know. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Popcorn
01-08-2005, 09:50 PM
Why not just forget about it?

Cane
01-08-2005, 09:55 PM
Popcorn... because it's a personal thing. I considered this guy a friend, I gave him free pool lessons, showed him how to bring his game from bar banger to something with potential, then he asks me to order this cue from a friend of mine that makes cues and he shanked me on the deal. The checks he wrote were to my girlfriends struggling Sports Bar, Grill and Pool Room. Screw me, and you're OK, screw the boss lady and I'll hunt you to the ends of the earth. Just the way I am.

BESIDES, if he had just called and said, "Bob, I'm in a jam. I can't pay you for the cue and I can't cover the checks I wrote... don't know if I'll ever be able to.", then I'd probably just forget it, but when someone just sneaks out of town on my like that, then the old Okie Redneck comes out and it stays with me until I get it resolved. Don't get me wrong, I'm not going to beat this guy down or anything, but I WILL get either the money or the cue, one way or another.

Later,
Bob

Popcorn
01-08-2005, 10:10 PM
Sounds like the way it is eating you up, I would even more suggest you just forget about it. It happens, who cares, screw him, he isn't worth your time to even be thinking about it. I would say at your age it has happened before and will happen again. That sounding like a tough guy comes off a little silly, your not going to kill him over a few dollars. Best to just turn the bad checks over to the cops and they will pursue it. I had a guy give me a bad $1000. check written on his wife's account that had been closed he forged her name. It was funny they went to the hospital where she worked and picked her up for bad checks. She actually had no idea her husband had written the checks on the account. They got an opportunity to pay me and it was dropped. Bad checks are a serious thing in most states.

GeraldG
01-08-2005, 10:13 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Cane:</font><hr> Popcorn... because it's a personal thing. I considered this guy a friend, I gave him free pool lessons, showed him how to bring his game from bar banger to something with potential, then he asks me to order this cue from a friend of mine that makes cues and he shanked me on the deal. The checks he wrote were to my girlfriends struggling Sports Bar, Grill and Pool Room. Screw me, and you're OK, screw the boss lady and I'll hunt you to the ends of the earth. Just the way I am.

BESIDES, if he had just called and said, "Bob, I'm in a jam. I can't pay you for the cue and I can't cover the checks I wrote... don't know if I'll ever be able to.", then I'd probably just forget it, but when someone just sneaks out of town on my like that, then the old Okie Redneck comes out and it stays with me until I get it resolved. Don't get me wrong, I'm not going to beat this guy down or anything, but I WILL get either the money or the cue, one way or another.

Later,
Bob
<hr /></blockquote>

I don't blame you at all. I feel exactly the same way. I'll keep my eyes open around here, too.

Cane
01-08-2005, 10:23 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Popcorn:</font><hr> That sounding like a tough guy comes off a little silly, your not going to kill him over a few dollars. Best to just turn the bad checks over to the cops and they will pursue it. <hr /></blockquote>

Popcorn, I'm not going to hit the guy or anything like that. What I meant was, if I hear of him playing in a room somewhere, I'll drive there, sit in a dark corner, wait for him to come in, just pick up the cue, unscrew it, take it with me and tell him if he wants it back he can pay me for it and the checks. Yes, you're right, I've been stiffed before and by better people, but this one called me his friend and I considered him one until he skipped town on me.

As far as the police here in Poteau, OK (which by the way, for some unknown reason is listed as one of the 100 best small communities in the US to live in... don't know who wrote that book!!!) and their concern for hot checks... well, the District Attorney has the checks and he said to me "Well, if he ever comes back to Poteau, let us know and we'll talk to him about it". That is the kind of public service we expect in one of the 100 best communities!!!

Gerald and Nick, thanks for keeping an eye out.

Later,
Bob

Popcorn
01-08-2005, 10:34 PM
Florida is really different, they really go after those guys if it is I think over $300. I had something like that happen to me. I made a guy two shafts and sent him the cue and got stiffed. A few months later I was at Gradys one pocket tournament and spotted the cue and sure enough they were my shafts, (I can tell my shafts I put a small mark on the inside of the joint). I just took them and put them out in my motor home. I found out the guy had bought the cue and had no idea about what had happened. Several people vouched for him as not being the guy I thought he was. I jus gave him back the shafts and we laughed about it.

Sid_Vicious
01-09-2005, 05:42 AM
"I've been stiffed before and by better people, but this one called me his friend and I considered him one until he skipped town on me."

I know exactly what you mean, I was hosed outta a few hundred by the same character, someone I'd gone out of my way to help many times as a friend, which I felt we were friends. Good luck, I never saw my guy again but I still remember the whole disappointing event...sid

jjinfla
01-09-2005, 07:05 AM
I have never met a con man who wasn't very likeable and friendly.

Moral: Watch out for those people who are overly friendly.
While they look you in the eye, smile, pat you on the back with one hand the other is reaching into your back pocket.

Jake

dg-in-centralpa
01-09-2005, 02:16 PM
When I had my own retail store, I sent the police collecting on $10 checks. It's theft of merchandise.

DG - glad to be out of retail

LJC_Cues
03-05-2005, 03:49 AM
I think any one with a business has been stiffed in some way or another!I will keep my out for him in VA!!

randyg
03-05-2005, 06:07 AM
CANEMAN: Sounds like those lessons were not free after all.....SPF-randyg

Cane
03-05-2005, 12:00 PM
Randy... Yeah, but I didn't know I was supposed to pay HIM! LOL

Just by coincidence, the other day a mutual aquaintence told me that this guy is living out of his motorhome about 50 miles from here... Strange that this thread comes back to life after that long. I was well on my way to Popcorns advice and had just about forgotten about it, but now I think I'll take a little drive down and hit some of the local bars and pool rooms in that area and see if I can track him down. Like I said, nothing violent, I shall remain passive, but I at the very least want to see the look on his face when I walk in the door and he's breaking with MY cue! *S* Even if I can't get the money or if he's sold the cue, I just want him to know that I'm still around and that a few months and a few miles haven't made the situation go away.

Later,
Bob

FastJoey
03-05-2005, 12:06 PM
i say go for it..no one has the right to rip someone off.....good luck

Papasmurf
03-05-2005, 02:28 PM
Heard from word of mouth that this was attempted in Tulsa at the billiard palace a few weeks ago with a similar description. Not sure if that helps but I will keep my eye out for it in San Antonio... Happens to the best of us. Seems like you just cant seem to trust anybody in this generation.

FastJoey
03-05-2005, 03:08 PM
another bit of advice Never ever take a check from anyone for any reason.....these people that rip off others need to be taught a lesson..

FastJoey
03-05-2005, 03:11 PM
Cane : just an idea check on the internet for auctioners in the area that you think he is in..maybe they might see him..good luck

SpiderMan
03-07-2005, 09:00 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Cane:</font><hr> Randy... Yeah, but I didn't know I was supposed to pay HIM! LOL

Just by coincidence, the other day a mutual aquaintence told me that this guy is living out of his motorhome about 50 miles from here... Strange that this thread comes back to life after that long. I was well on my way to Popcorns advice and had just about forgotten about it, but now I think I'll take a little drive down and hit some of the local bars and pool rooms in that area and see if I can track him down. Like I said, nothing violent, I shall remain passive, but I at the very least want to see the look on his face when I walk in the door and he's breaking with MY cue! *S* Even if I can't get the money or if he's sold the cue, I just want him to know that I'm still around and that a few months and a few miles haven't made the situation go away.

Later,
Bob <hr /></blockquote>

Didn't the local cops say to call them if the guy resurfaced? Sounds like it's time for them to join the party. Surely they don't want their small-town paper printing an interesting story of how you went so far as to track down the crook (against whom they had an open complaint), call them on your cell phone, and they didn't even show up.

SpiderMan