PDA

View Full Version : Shaft Conditioners

Bob C
01-09-2005, 03:43 PM
I've always used burnishing films or 2000+ sandpaper in the past but I'm thinking about ordering some kind of shaft treatment to reduce friction on my cue. Can anyone offer an opinion on Shark Oil versus Q Glide or suggest another product? Thanks.
Bob C

Troy
01-09-2005, 03:52 PM
I generally do NOT waste money on cue specific products. When cleaning/re-conditioning my shafts or customer shafts, I clean with Simple Green® diluted with 2 parts water and/or Ronsonol® lighter fluid and a clean, soft cloth. I then spin the shaft on the lathe and burnish with a piece of un-dyed leather and finish off with waxed paper.

Troy
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Bob C:</font><hr> I've always used burnishing films or 2000+ sandpaper in the past but I'm thinking about ordering some kind of shaft treatment to reduce friction on my cue. Can anyone offer an opinion on Shark Oil versus Q Glide or suggest another product? Thanks.
Bob C <hr /></blockquote>

A_LOTA_NOTA
01-09-2005, 03:54 PM
I've never used the products you've mentioned, nor have I ever used sandpaper on them. The cue maker that made my cues told me to use Denatured Alcohol to clean the shaft, then use a small amount of neutral shoe polish to reseal them. After all of this is done then I burnish it with a piece of leather. When I get done with them they look like the day I got them &amp; just as smooth. I'm sure if I let them go &amp; they were as blue as most of the shafts you see around the pool room I would need something stronger to clean them, but this works for me.

wapembe
01-09-2005, 06:07 PM
i feel so cheated. the only thing i use it what the maker recommended which was a paper towel. and if that doesn't fix the problem then i wash my hands using both soap and water, dry them and try shooting again. so far this has worked quite well for me.

JimS
01-09-2005, 06:50 PM
I have used all the products you mentioned but don't use any of them any more...except that I will use a little 2k sandpaper, or the equivilant, and then burnish w/leather.

I do use lighter fluid daily to clean off the chalk from that days use.

I've found this last week that Mr. Clean Magic Eraser's are truly "magic" /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif The do a great job of cleaning the shaft.

GeraldG
01-09-2005, 08:59 PM
I don't clean or condition my shafts myself. I take them back to the cuemaker (Danny Tibbetts) and let him do it.

DavidMorris
01-09-2005, 10:04 PM
I'll second the Mr. Clean Magic Eraser idea. After so many on another thread here raved about it, I picked up a box the other day and used it this weekend on two of my shafts. Very nice! These shafts hadn't been cleaned since they were purchased 16 years ago! The wood and ferrule were quite blue. No effort at all! I followed up with a soft rag then burnished with leather. The shafts look and feel brand new now. You can't beat the price, 1.50 or so, and no chemicals involved, just a bit of water.

Paul_Mon
01-10-2005, 03:26 AM
Lots of good replies here's what I do.

1. Clean with Magic Eraser, I don't spin the shaft.

2. Spin shaft with dry paper towel to remove all remaining water from the Magic Clean treatment.

3. Spin shaft and burnish with Q-Wiz. This step is optional. Depends on how shaft looks and feels.

4. Spin shaft and burnish with wax paper. I hold the wax paper inside the leather burnisher.

5. Spin shaft and burnish with leather. At this time I use a little spit on the side of the tip.

Cleaning with the Magic Eraser takes about 5 minutes all the other steps are quicker.

Paul Mon

tito
01-10-2005, 09:45 AM
Hello Bob.-

I used cue doctor product to clean and conditioner my shaft, then I used Q-wiz, as Souquet told me, this product really works. that´s all I do to keep my shaft really smooth.

SpiderMan
01-10-2005, 11:39 AM
After whatever favorite method of cleaning and smoothing, I like to finish the surface with Kar-Seal Cue Wax. Use lots of pressure and speed to buff it, so that heat is generated and the pores become filled.

Subsequent "quick cleanings" then just become a quick wipe-down with a damp paper towel (such as the last one you use on your hands after washing them), followed by a buffing with a dry one.

When you're ready to do another deep cleaning, first wipe down the shaft with isopropyl alcohol to remove residual wax.

SpiderMan

catscradle
01-10-2005, 12:38 PM
In addition to the all the other techniques I might suggest doing something I do. I carry several of those foil wrapped alcohol swabs (you know like the nurse uses before an injection) in my bag. Unfolded they're about an inch and a half square or two and do a nice little job of on the spot cleaning of either your shaft or your hands. They're available in any drug store.

Bob C
01-10-2005, 05:38 PM
Thanks to everyone for your suggestions. I had no idea the use of wax in one form or another was so prevalent. I'll have to experiment with it. Apparently dedicated shaft conditioning products are not very popular. I have been using the Magic Eraser since I first saw it mentioned on this board about a year ago. I was just looking for a way to finish off a clean shaft.
Bob C

BLACKHEART
01-10-2005, 08:53 PM
/ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gifI used to use wax, to seal all of the shafts I repaired, including my own. Then I began to see that when my hands sweat, the shaft felt sticky. I don't use it any more...JER

nhp
01-11-2005, 03:34 AM
Try Pledge with no wax. I haven't tried the magic eraser yet, but I am hearing that it is by far THE BEST shaft cleaning tool out there. If for some reason you can't get magic eraser, then use Pledge. This stuff works wonders. It thoroughly cleans the shaft, after you wipe it off and then burnish the shaft, it is incredibly smooth, and it stays like that for a long time.

CarolNYC
01-11-2005, 03:49 AM
Forgive me for being silly, but its nice to know all you gentlemen have clean shafts!(pun intended)LMAO
Carol~better clean her cue before Jerry see's it! /ccboard/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

pooltchr
01-11-2005, 05:44 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote CarolNYC:</font><hr> Forgive me for being silly, but its nice to know all you gentlemen have clean shafts!(pun intended)LMAO
Carol~better clean her cue before Jerry see's it! /ccboard/images/graemlins/tongue.gif <hr /></blockquote>

LMAO!
Carol. I always thought a clean shaft resulted in a smoother stroke!

Lock &amp; Load!!!
Steve

CarolNYC
01-11-2005, 07:25 AM
Steve,
Call me crazy,but doesnt it seem like almost everything in pool can be related to something sexual?
Balls,shaft,tip,stroke,position-Im reading this post and laughing,whose cleaning their shafts with alcohol,pledge..if I had no idea about pool, Id be wondering what the heck /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif
then its "keep your head down" "dont force the stroke" etc and so on......it reminded me of Barbara talking about old balls in a restaurant-I just started LMAO!

And YES, a clean shaft does result in a very,very smooth stroke /ccboard/images/graemlins/tongue.gif
Hope to see ya in NC!!!!
Lock&amp;Load!
Carol

Rich R.
01-11-2005, 07:58 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote CarolNYC:</font><hr> Steve,
Call me crazy,but doesnt it seem like almost everything in pool can be related to something sexual?
Balls,shaft,tip,stroke,position-Im reading this post and laughing,whose cleaning their shafts with alcohol,pledge..if I had no idea about pool, Id be wondering what the heck /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif
then its "keep your head down" "dont force the stroke" etc and so on......it reminded me of Barbara talking about old balls in a restaurant-I just started LMAO!

And YES, a clean shaft does result in a very,very smooth stroke /ccboard/images/graemlins/tongue.gif
Hope to see ya in NC!!!!
Lock&amp;Load!
Carol
<hr /></blockquote>
It's no wonder, we all like pool the way we do. /ccboard/images/graemlins/blush.gif

catscradle
01-12-2005, 07:04 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote CarolNYC:</font><hr> Steve,

Hope to see ya in NC!!!!
Lock&amp;Load!
Carol
<hr /></blockquote>

Freud would have a field day with this, even if he was full of horse manure.

bluey2king
01-14-2005, 10:18 AM
Howdy,
I used Q-wiz and another product that had a scotch type pad and a soft leather laminated together. I thought they worked pretty good. Untill I tried a new product. I just bought a custom shaft which I made a post about SharpShooter. I bought some shaft conditioner with the purchess. It has his own label on the bottle. My new was slick as a whistle so I just used the conditioner on my Break shaft. It was easy to use rub a little on wipe off with a soft rag. Wow! I couldn't belive all chalk and dirt it lifted off and made it very slick and smooth. I just thought I would pass this on maybe not all these products are snake-oil.
I have to agree that It feels Sooo good to have that ultra slick feeling when Stroking!! No Sexual Innuendo Intended..*LOL*
Bluey

iusedtoberich
01-14-2005, 07:13 PM
Does anyone here mind playing with a dirty shaft? I do cue repairs locally, and I often have requests for cleaning shafts. But for my own personal cues, I just leave them alone for the most part. My reasoning is this: A cue can always be dirty, but it is only clean right after you clean it. Even though I have a lathe and the associated equipment, I prefer to just leave my cues dirty. I'm not saying I don't LIKE a brand new feeling shaft, just its not worth the trouble.

Rod
01-14-2005, 07:51 PM
I don't mind playing with a chalk colored shaft. My hand oils seal the shaft. I wipe it down once in a while with denatured alcohol when needed. I wipe the butt as well, that's what I want clean. It seems many people need that slick new sanded feeling though.

The thought of sanding a shaft gives me shivers. A while back I used a magic eraser and that really cleaned the wood. There still fairly clean and just getting broke in again. I don't think it's worth the trouble either, not to mention I like that little extra drag.

Rod

pooltchr
01-14-2005, 07:52 PM
I tend to agree. I will clean my shaft when it becomes very discolored, but for the most part, it it feels smooth and no dings or dents, it works just fine.
I suppose if the dirt starts coming off the cue to my hands as opposed to the dirt from my hands getting on the cue, it's probably time to clean it. /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif
Steve

Paul_Mon
01-15-2005, 09:11 AM
I'd start a poll but don't know how. I feel the same way. Keeping it smooth is most important. I used to feel as though it had to be bright white and used denatured alcohol and/or lighter fluid to that end. Now it's just not as important and I will use Magic Eraser every 6 months or so. What I won't do is sand or use any other kind of abrasive. All of my shafts measure within .002" of what they were new and that's the way I like it. I cringe watching people sand or using 3M pads. I do use a Q-wiz then leather burnish (with wax paper) after cleaning with the Magic Eraser and wipe down with water on a rag after playing.

Paul Mon

GeraldG
01-15-2005, 12:54 PM
I actually like the blue color from the chalk on my shafts. I don't do anything to my shafts myself, and when they have too many dings in them, I take them to my cuemaker and let him slick the shafts up. He actually swells the dings back out with water and does very little sanding when he fixes them.

Wally_in_Cincy
01-15-2005, 01:16 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Rod:</font><hr> I don't think it's worth the trouble either, not to mention I like that little extra drag.

Rod <hr /></blockquote>

Rod, I remember when I cleaned my shaft after not doing it for a long time and I found out I had become accustomed to the extra friction. The clean shaft was so slick I had to play for a few minutes just to adjust my stroke speed /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

I keep 'em clean all the time now. I've got it to where I can clean one in about 5 minutes.

JimS
01-16-2005, 06:06 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote iusedtoberich:</font><hr> Does anyone here mind playing with a dirty shaft? I do cue repairs locally, and I often have requests for cleaning shafts. But for my own personal cues, I just leave them alone for the most part. My reasoning is this: A cue can always be dirty, but it is only clean right after you clean it. Even though I have a lathe and the associated equipment, I prefer to just leave my cues dirty. I'm not saying I don't LIKE a brand new feeling shaft, just its not worth the trouble. <hr /></blockquote>

I can't stand it! I really can't play with a dirty, or blue, or dented shaft. It draws my attention away from the shot to the extent that I really cannot play with it. I need for my shaft to be as perfectly smooth and clean as possible and I vent a lot of nervous energy keeping it that way. By that I mean that cleaning and polishing the shaft and/or the butt is one way that I stay calm and cool while practicing or playing. The activity diminishes tension.

I like polishing my truck too. The mindless physical activity keeps me calm.

mworkman
01-16-2005, 06:48 AM
I use Magic eraser then

q-slick with soft cloth then

q-glide with paper towel.

I do this maybe once every 5-6 months. I ussally let it go untill it starts bothering me because it doesn't stroke smoothly.