PDA

View Full Version : Want to know something more about Cue Tip

table_snooker
01-09-2005, 10:23 PM
Hi,
I am more than a beginner player and have a decent game..I use a spark for break and a Lucasi for play.... with standard fit Tip that came when I bought these cues..However, I have heard about Moorie tips of a great quality and all that..My question is what is the difference in a tip like Hard, Medium and Soft from a perspective of a better shotmaking or play like english, draw, throw, deflection etc etc..I heard that hard tips are the most difficult to play with in the beginning..appreciate your time and thoughts here..

vapoolplayer
01-10-2005, 01:30 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote table_snooker:</font><hr> Hi,
I am more than a beginner player and have a decent game..I use a spark for break and a Lucasi for play.... with standard fit Tip that came when I bought these cues..However, I have heard about Moorie tips of a great quality and all that..My question is what is the difference in a tip like Hard, Medium and Soft from a perspective of a better shotmaking or play like english, draw, throw, deflection etc etc..I heard that hard tips are the most difficult to play with in the beginning..appreciate your time and thoughts here.. <hr /></blockquote>

i used a medium for a while, then i went to a hard moori. i like it because it does exactly what i want it to. no unneeded spin. the soft seems to give me too much unwanted spin. the medium just didn't feel as good, and it mushroomed a little bit more than the hard. the hard, once you put it on, it mushrooms once. once you shave it down it doesn't mushroom again. try them all out, as it is just like anything, a matter of preference.

Sid_Vicious
01-10-2005, 03:31 AM
Let me begin by saying that the highest percentage of professionals, men at least, play with hard tips, so I went to that hardness automatically. The only reason you would find a hard tip difficult is if your stroke mechanics sucks that badly, and by playing and practicing with a hard tip, you will HAVE to refine the one thing you MUST have to be a champion in this game, a premium stroke. I look at it this way, beginners use softer tips, most intermediate players mediums and then they graduate to graduate school and move to hard tips, that is if they ever get past pool college and really get a game. Jm2c...sid

Rich R.
01-10-2005, 04:25 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Sid_Vicious:</font><hr> Let me begin by saying that the highest percentage of professionals, men at least, play with hard tips, <hr /></blockquote>
Sid, do you have some basis for this statement?
Although some pros use hard tips, most of the pros I've talked to are using medium tips and a few are using soft tips.
I think a players choice of tips is just a matter of personal preference, rather than based on ability.

Sid_Vicious
01-10-2005, 04:41 AM
Actually I don't have fact data, I've just "understoodO this to be the case, so I'll post a new topic, and ask y'all in the circle of pros, who uses what as far as hardness???sid

opposedtwin2
01-10-2005, 10:08 AM
I have read that Efren Reyes used an Elkmaster for most of career which is among the softest of tips. Although I agree that to play with a hard tip you must have a good confident stroke. However, after a couple months of play it's hard for me to believe that any tip will not become measurably harder. Start with a medium then adjust in the direction that you have the most confidence in.

Deeman2
01-10-2005, 11:15 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote table_snooker:</font><hr> Hi,
I am more than a beginner player and have a decent game..I use a spark for break and a Lucasi for play.... with standard fit Tip that came when I bought these cues..However, I have heard about Moorie tips of a great quality and all that <font color="blue"> I have never used one of the layered tips although Scott Lee and others have told me it is like night and day. I just don't have problems with what I use (40 year old WB's) so I am reluctant to change just to change.</font color> ..My question is what is the difference in a tip like Hard, Medium and Soft from a perspective of a better shotmaking or play like english, draw, throw, deflection etc etc.. <font color="blue"> My feel is that the softer the tip, the more pronounced the spin and, of course, the higher the maintenance on keeping it up from a mushrooming standpoint. </font color> I heard that hard tips are the most difficult to play with in the beginning. <font color="blue"> I prefer a hard tip as it seems less maintenance, except for roughing, is needed. I do think the harder the tip, the more consistent it stays (ie. does not get that much harder over time.) I also think it is all a matter of personal preference but, unlike Sid_Vicious, I believe in maintaining my tip shape as well as an occasional roughing of the surface. </font color> .appreciate your time and thoughts here.. <font color="blue">You are quite welcome, Good luck... </font color> <hr /></blockquote>

Deeman

GeraldG
01-10-2005, 07:52 PM
I use a LePro medium-hard for play and one of the very hard layered tips for my jump/break cue. IMHO (and therefore to be taken with a grain of salt), a hard tip is best for breaking and jumping because it will transfer more of the cue's energy to the cueball and not absorb it in the tip. The problem with that is that (for me, at least) a hard tip does not work well for masse' shots, so if I run into a situation where I need extreme english and maximum contact time metween the tip and the cueball, such as a masse' I have to use my playing cue. But I don't use a lot of masse' anyway, so it really doesn't make that much difference. One thing for sure, the harder the tip, the less forgiving it will be of stroke deficiencies when you are using a lot of spin.

buddha162
01-11-2005, 12:22 AM
It's my understanding also that most pros use hard tips, certainly not soft.

And btw, Efren's elkmasters are pressed in a vise, and you can hear how hard his tips were when he struck the CB.

-Roger

DickLeonard
01-14-2005, 06:16 AM
Rich I will just pass on Willie Hoppe's trick, when he played an exhibition, he would ask the room owner if he could test his house cues and if he found tips he liked could he take the tips.

Who could refuse Willie Hoppe. ####