PDA

View Full Version : My bit#h about the upa tour championships

cueball1950
01-09-2005, 11:59 PM
my personal bitch is the finals. a race to seven after racing to 11 in earlier matches. Kid delicious may have been able to come back and beat corey if it were stretched out to 11 games. Or atleast play it like a true double and make them play 2 sets..ANybody happen to know why they only went to 7 with 1 race...Good showing by Frankie hernandez and Tony robles.........................mike

vapoolplayer
01-10-2005, 01:20 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote cueball1950:</font><hr> my personal bitch is the finals. a race to seven after racing to 11 in earlier matches. Kid delicious may have been able to come back and beat corey if it were stretched out to 11 games. Or atleast play it like a true double and make them play 2 sets..ANybody happen to know why they only went to 7 with 1 race...Good showing by Frankie hernandez and Tony robles.........................mike <hr /></blockquote>

the answer to your question i'm sure is......ESPN

Rich R.
01-10-2005, 04:37 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote vapoolplayer:</font><hr> the answer to your question i'm sure is......ESPN <hr /></blockquote>
I'm sure this is the case. ESPN doesn't like matches longer than 7 games and they don't show all of the 7. /ccboard/images/graemlins/confused.gif

They do the same with the WPBA. The ladies normally race to 9, until the TV rounds, when they race to 7. /ccboard/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

yegon
01-10-2005, 04:49 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote cueball1950:</font><hr> my personal bitch is the finals. a race to seven after racing to 11 in earlier matches. Kid delicious may have been able to come back and beat corey if it were stretched out to 11 games. Or atleast play it like a true double and make them play 2 sets..ANybody happen to know why they only went to 7 with 1 race...Good showing by Frankie hernandez and Tony robles.........................mike <hr /></blockquote>

wouldn't the true double mean that corey would need one set win (because he had the hot seat) and danny would need to win two sets to win the tournament?

if so then the true double would not make any difference in this one

I agree that it is strabge to shortne the race in the finals but TV is the boss if you want the coverage

9 Ball Girl
01-10-2005, 08:19 AM
They should've kept it at 11. If it's because of an ESPN thing then they could've done recaps after the commercial breaks the way they did for the Florida classic. JMO

tateuts
01-10-2005, 11:47 AM

I was there. ESPN was running the show. Here were the (Mickey Mouse) rules:

race to 7
Alternate Break
3 balls had to pass the side pockets (or go in)on the break
cue ball only fouls
huge 5+ inch pockets

Break and run out was the name of the game. In the first Basovich/Deuel match, that's just about all they did. I think in the first 8 games played there was only one shot missed.

Basovich is a character. He has a lot of idiosyncracies (to say the least). I think he will be very popular on television and will get a lot of attention.

Chris

jjinfla
01-10-2005, 12:11 PM
I don't get it.

People bitch when they were not getting coverage by ESPN. And now they get coverage by ESPN and they still bitch.

Be thankful you got the coverage. I'm sure Corey Deuel thought everything was fine.

You have the foot in the door. Now work with ESPN to improve it.

And I like to watch the guys run out. Who cares that the pockets are 5 inches? What I don't like is to watch them miss. I can watch any bum miss shots.

Jake

bomber
01-10-2005, 12:18 PM
here here....well said j. thank your luck stars that our game even gets on the air. i bet they could get higher ratings with many different things. we better learn to be thankful of what we have instead of complaining about the format. hell, they are playing pool on tv...watch it and be proud that its there. of course it would be nice for us in the "know" for the players to be playing one pocket or nine ball on triple shimmed gold crowns, races to 15...but it aint gonna happen. the viewing public doesnt want to see that. they want to see trick shots and good players making a crapload of balls in a row.

Tom_In_Cincy
01-10-2005, 02:03 PM
May I please remind you, YOU are the "Viewing publid".

If you like what is being presented in the current format, tell ESPN not to change a thing. If you want different formats, please tell ESPN what and why you want a format change.

I would be very interested how many viewers are also NON-Pool Players.

IMO the vast majority of the viewers are Pool Players.

I don't watch 'trick shot' or '7-ball' and on just a few occasions do I watch any TV pool.

ESPN decides what the format is and when it is to be broadcast. 9 Ball is boring to watch on TV, the announcers and players are all non-animated and just plain boring.

ESPN's Douge White is the Director of Programming &amp; Aquisitions and the person you need to contact to voice your opinions about Pool's formant. Good or Bad, let ESPN know your watching.

I would love to see a Skins Bank tournament, where you win $$ with each ball you bank. Instant scores, easy to understand and lots of great amature and PRO bank bank pool players that are cabable of putting on a SHOW.

Nostalgia
01-10-2005, 02:41 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Tom_In_Cincy:</font><hr>I would be very interested how many viewers are also NON-Pool Players. <hr /></blockquote>
I was flipping channels the other day with my non-pool playing brother. I hit ESPN, and there was Allison Fisher playing Jeanette Lee. I got excited, because I know they'll put on a great match. My brother got a glazed look and said he'd rather watch golf. That was, until Jeanette got up to shoot /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif He was suddenly and mysteriously interested in the game...

-Joe

dg-in-centralpa
01-10-2005, 02:55 PM
Hmmm ...can't imagine why he got interested.

DG - always interested in watching the women

tateuts
01-10-2005, 05:03 PM
Agreed. Better ESPN and Mickey Mouse rules than no TV. Oh I forgot to mention, 30 second shot clock.

Chris

Bob_Jewett
01-10-2005, 05:27 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote tateuts:</font><hr> ... Oh I forgot to mention, 30 second shot clock. <hr /></blockquote>
For Kid Slowlicious, I suppose. I see in a magazine article that he's playing faster than he was a few months back.

charlieb
01-11-2005, 12:27 AM
Not when he played Bustamante! It was agonizing, everybody was complaining. He made no fans that night even though he played great. The next night against Santos he picked up his pace.