PDA

View Full Version : Nationals And Rule About Making A Good Attempt Q

Sid_Vicious
01-10-2005, 07:17 AM
I was told recently that when your ball, say the last ball is precariously pinned in an unusual position, say where you'd break our their trouble ball, that you could not elect to simply bunt a foul or even move strategically another ball to tie up the table. Is this true, will a ref in Reno/Vegas be called to see if you are simply avoiding trying to hit your ball and call a foul? sid

SpiderMan
01-10-2005, 07:39 AM
Sid,

Probably need to specify whether your question relates to ACS or BCA (I assume ACS), they may have different intentions. I know that my two teammates who are national head refs (Allen and Brad) attended the ACS referees meeting before the holidays, so I can ask them tonight.

Funny thing, when I asked if we would be playing by "BCA Rules", they were both adamant that we would be using "World Standardized Rules", though neither one could quote me any differences. Guess the new organization gave them an indoctrination at their little get-together /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

There is a BCA ("world standardized") rule relating to a stalemated game, but I don't think this would apply to your situation because you didn't indicate that a fair hit would result in a certain loss of game.

Are you talking one instance, or an uninterrupted sequence of intentional fouls by both shooters?

SpiderMan

SPetty
01-10-2005, 11:52 AM
Whoever told you that was probably mistaken. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif Maybe what they were trying to tell you is that you can't just pick up the cue ball and hand it to your opponent when it's your turn at the table.

I attended a rules meeting held by Cecil Messer (sp?) at the BCA tourney in Vegas a few years ago. I don't remember exactly what the exact ruling would be, but essentially he would not allow a player to pick up the cue ball as their turn, and would require a leather-to-cue-ball contact. I don't recall if he would call it a foul or a sportsmanship issue, but I do remember he said don't do it.

He explained that it is a game of leather to cue ball contact, and that's the way the player will play it.

Glad you asked the question.

Sid_Vicious
01-10-2005, 12:34 PM
Spetty...You were the one who told me that the day I came over and played on your Cougar, Were you joking? Remember my last ball pinned in the corner, behind the 8 I believe. It was both dangerous and tough but hit-able. Did I misunderstand your statement including "college try?" sid

Barbara
01-10-2005, 01:31 PM
Sid,

Don't forget there is also a Stalemate rule in 8-ball.

STALEMATED GAME
If, after 3 consecutive turns at the table by each player (6 turns total), the referee judges that attempting to pocket or move an object ball will result in loss of game, the balls will be re-racked with the original breaker of the stalemated game breaking again. The stalemate rule may be applied regard-less of the number of balls on the table. Please Note: Three consecutive fouls by one player in 8-ball is not a loss of game.

Barbara

SPetty
01-10-2005, 04:05 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Sid_Vicious:</font><hr> SPetty...You were the one who told me that... <hr /></blockquote>That's why I included my smiley face when I said I was probably mistaken. /ccboard/images/graemlins/blush.gif And that's why I said I was glad you asked the question so that I could clarify it.

The rest of my post is what I remembered after you left. It felt wrong when I was saying it, because I had a particular scenario that I had witnessed in my head while explaining it. But, what I meant to say is what I clarified in my post above.

But there's no way I would have said you couldn't purposefully foul by hitting the opponent's ball.

Sorry I confused you. Thanks for the practice that day. I won all my games that week! /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Sid_Vicious
01-10-2005, 04:22 PM
I was very pleased with the way the Cougar played for me that day, I'd been hitting the ball well before that for several days but I expected the 7 footer and the cloth speed to be a test anyway. Glad your week was in excelleration mode, mine worked as well as long as my personal life maintained itself, nuff said.

We'll have to do that again...sid