PDA

View Full Version : Old pool balls

eales
01-10-2005, 10:01 AM
I thought there was a thread about them, but I can't find it. Anyway, a friend runs the pool/bowling area of our student union. He found some old balls in a basement storage area. We are wondering if they are worth anything or should we just toss them? Suggestions about how to go about finding out would be appreciated. Thanks.

Jim Eales

ceebee
01-10-2005, 10:15 AM
I might be willing to buy them. Please contact me. I am making some coat racks for my local pool hall. It's a freebee gesture on my part.

Pizza Bob
01-10-2005, 10:48 AM
Details and pictures (on your host server w/ a link here) would help. Are they in the original box? Are they a complete, matching set? Things like that. Most aren't worth the effort it takes to throw them out, but you can never tell when you'll find the kernel among the chaff.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

eales
01-10-2005, 11:52 AM
Thanks for the interest, but it doesn't seem worth the trouble. Thanks, again.

Jim Eales

eales
01-10-2005, 11:55 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Pizza Bob:</font><hr> Details and pictures (on your host server w/ a link here) would help. Are they in the original box? Are they a complete, matching set? Things like that. Most aren't worth the effort it takes to throw them out, but you can never tell when you'll find the kernel among the chaff.

Adios,

Pizza Bob <hr /></blockquote>

They are a partialset of old balls (possibly ivorylene). I don't have any place to post pictures and it hardly seems worth it. Thanks.

Jim Eales

ceebee
01-10-2005, 12:01 PM
eales, if you will tell me how many pool balls we are discussing here, I will make you an offer. I will pay postage too. Are the pool balls all regular size?

Please send me a PM &amp; I will send you my phone number.

DickLeonard
01-11-2005, 07:34 AM
The first modern room I ran had pool balls mounted in the wall to form time on the silver clock. It was an item every new comer just loved.####

DickLeonard
01-11-2005, 07:35 AM
If you cut them in half you get two clocks.####

Popcorn
01-11-2005, 07:51 AM
I made some balls into house numbers for a guy. There can't be any zeros in the number though. I bought and sold some tables a few years ago and sold them with new balls. I still have the old balls at least a few hundred in the garage like 5 drywall buckets full. I am always going to throw them out but can't bring myself to do it, it seems like there should be something I could use them for. I have made some tool handles and a few other things. My wife had a garage sale and put out a bucket of the balls for a quarter a piece but they all wanted mostly the 8's and 9's. You mentioned cutting them in half. I can cut a ball in half with no problem on the lathe using a parting tool but it would be tough to make a good cut with a saw. They cut pretty easy though. I guess you could just grind flat spot and drill a hole for a pen holder.

SPetty
01-11-2005, 09:18 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Popcorn:</font><hr> I still have the old balls at least a few hundred in the garage like 5 drywall buckets full. <hr /></blockquote>Okay, now I'm officially jealous. I had what I thought was a real cool idea of sort of paving a patio with pool balls - cut them in half and embed them in concrete. They should stay put because of the flare of the ball in the concrete. But when I looked around for cheap used balls to do this with, I couldn't find any! I could make a heckuva cool patio with 25 gallons of pool balls! /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Popcorn
01-11-2005, 01:13 PM
It won't really work too well they fade once they are in sunlight. That is what happened to the house numbers, you can't even read them anymore. I guess you could coat them with something I am not sure. I have a friend who has a billiard table tiled into a bathroom (A full sized table with rails diamonds and everything cut from tile full color) with three billiard balls inlayed into it. That is pretty cool.

Wally_in_Cincy
01-12-2005, 06:41 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote SPetty:</font><hr>... I had what I thought was a real cool idea of sort of paving a patio with pool balls -...<hr /></blockquote>

I would assume that is the patio of your pool hall?

<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Popcorn:</font><hr> ..I have a friend who has a billiard table tiled into a bathroom (A full sized table with rails diamonds and everything cut from tile full color) with three billiard balls inlayed into it. ... <hr /></blockquote>

Maybe that would work.