PDA

View Full Version : Sharing some pool happiness

Nostalgia
01-10-2005, 12:29 PM
Hey all. I had posted a while back about my game going to hell in a handbasket. My consitency was nonexistant, and my shotmaking was miserable. There were a lot of good suggestions (a couple to take up bowling, thanks). One was to go back to basics. Well, I spent a lot of time honestly looking at my form, especially my stroke. I took a lesson from an APA certified instructor, and he pointed out a flaw with where I was keeping my elbow (not centered above my hand).

Well, my consistency and shotmaking has gone way, way up. I've won 5 of my last 6 eight and 9 ball matches (losing only a single 9 ball match by 4 balls). This afternoon at lunch I had a break and run in an 8-ball game. I wanted to share the last 2 shots, as I played the nicest position shot I have played to date. Here's the table:

RSB Pooltable (http://endeavor.med.nyu.edu/%7Ewei/pool/pooltable2.html)

I made a stripe on the break. The table looked better for solids, and I ran the first 6. I then had this position on the 1 ball:

START(
%AN8X8%CK1I6%Hi5O1%Io5Q5%Jn1D0%KW3U4%LO4F0%MC8L9%N l4I2%Ob0J8
%Pg7Z0%YP4Q5%ZO6X6%]P8Y0%^f6Y8
)END

You'll notice that the 8 doesn't go in the top right pocket. The only decent play would be for the bottom right pocket. So, I figured I'd hit the 1 with a firm stun shot to slide it over so I've got an angle on the left side of the 3. I could then play a draw shot to come down for the 8. Well, of course the cue slid over too far, leaving me on the wrong side of the 3.

I decided to play a follow show off the back rail, but the 13 would be in the way. I knew I'd have to hit it hard enough so the cue would slide left a bit before going forward into the rail. I lined it up with a heavy dose of top-left English, and hit a very smooth, firm stroke. I was rewarded with gorgeous 3 rail position on the 8. The cue was about 1 1/2 balls off the rail with a small angle on the 8. Here's the path:

START(
%CK1I6%Hi5O1%Io5Q5%Jn1D0%KW3U4%LO4F0%MC8N0%Nl4I2%O b0J8%PU2L5
%UL5J7%VT4L3%WJ9Z9%XC0Q5%Ya7D2%ZK5[4%[d1E6%\b5C6%]D1D2%^J5H9
%_D1Q4%`I6N9%aK6J3
)END

I was so proud. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif It felt so good to run that rack after working my way out of the almost year long slump I had been in.

Thanks for the advice and encouragement,

-Joe

9 Ball Girl
01-10-2005, 12:35 PM
Keep up the good work! When that used to happen to me (I'm currently on hiatus), I would go into my next match thinking about how it was that I felt during my last good match and try to replicate it. Nice run!

PQQLK9
01-10-2005, 12:36 PM
Good for you, step to the head of the class.

Gotta love those APA certified instructors.

Ives
01-10-2005, 12:41 PM
Sweeet, keep us informed of future progress. I to am looking to take some lessons, but there is no BCA instructors in Salt Lake City. Again, nice job and keep posting. It really is a good feeling when things come together!!!!!!!!!!!

Wally_in_Cincy
01-10-2005, 01:00 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote PQQLK9:</font><hr> Gotta love those APA certified instructors. <hr /></blockquote>

/ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Wally_in_Cincy
01-10-2005, 01:02 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Ives:</font><hr>I to am looking to take some lessons, but there is no BCA instructors in Salt Lake City. <hr /></blockquote>

Scott Lee lives in Montana. Maybe he could swing by your area. He will help your game if you don't mind practicing.

cheesemouse
01-10-2005, 01:52 PM
Nostalgia,

Way to go....these little rewards for our hardwork are what keep us pool nuts noses to the grindstone....keep it up...

Nostalgia
01-10-2005, 02:23 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote cheesemouse:</font><hr>Way to go....these little rewards for our hardwork are what keep us pool nuts noses to the grindstone.<hr /></blockquote>
Yea, for a while I was trying to figure out why I played in the first place. I couldn't stop, though. I'm an addict.

Which reminds me, I think one of the biggest changes I made is in my attitude. I had been taking the game very seriously, to the point where when I had a bad night I could hardly sleep. I would beat myself up over misses the whole night. I've since done reading on the mental game and play a lot more relaxed. Made a huge difference.

Thanks for the kind words, all,

-Joe

Ives
01-10-2005, 04:19 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Wally_in_Cincy:</font><hr>
Scott Lee lives in Montana. Maybe he could swing by your area. He will help your game if you don't mind practicing. <hr /></blockquote>

Thanks Wally, i was thinking of either Scott or Steve. Maybe in a few months I can set something up. I don't mind travelling, just have to save some bucks first. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

Nostalgia
01-11-2005, 08:43 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Ives:</font><hr> Sweeet, keep us informed of future progress.<hr /></blockquote>
I got bumped up a skill level in both 8 and 9-ball this week. I'm now a 6 and 5, resepctively. Last night I played a SL 4 in both disciplines. I won my 9 ball match 38-13, and my 8-ball match 5-1. Woohoo! I'm looking forward to a few more lessons /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

-Joe

Scott Lee
01-13-2005, 01:57 AM
Ives...I come through SLC frequently. If you'd like to set something up, PM or email me, and we'll get together as soon as you'd like to.

Scott Lee