PDA

View Full Version : Rempe's How To Run a 100 Balls, opinions?

UTAddb
01-10-2005, 01:43 PM
My straight pool game's kind of weak and I figured this might help. How helpful is the video? Thanks

Wally_in_Cincy
01-10-2005, 01:49 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote UTAddb:</font><hr> How helpful is the video? Thanks <hr /></blockquote>

Extremely helpful. It's one of the best, if not the best, 14.1 instructional tapes out there. If you can, go ahead and get "How to run a rack of straight pool" while you're at it.

sliprock
01-10-2005, 01:53 PM
Both of Rempe's video's are well worth the money. I think that I enjoyed the "How to run a rack" video best. He sets up different break shots explaining the desired results, then talks his way through the rack as he's running the balls. I learned quite a bit watching these videos. Hope this helps

daviddjmp
01-10-2005, 01:56 PM
Agreed, both tapes are excellent. You also might want to get the tape of Jim Rempe playing San Souci in the 2000 US open (he does a player review on this as well) and his match with Oliver Ortmann, same tournament. Ortmann runs 129 and Rempe comes back with a 96. Great stuff for 14.1 study-

PQQLK9
01-10-2005, 02:14 PM
Mike Sigel's "Perfect Straight Pool" is a very good tape.

Ives
01-10-2005, 02:21 PM
I just ordered this very tape yesturday, looking forward to it.
I'll get " how to run a rack " next. Ive heard nothing but good on both of them.

CarolNYC
01-10-2005, 02:26 PM
Hi there,
This is a very good tape-I believe its on this tape where Rempe tells you to throw out all 15 balls and pocket them WITHOUT the cueball touching a rail-this is the drill I do!
Its difficult at first, but then it becomes alittle easier!
Good luck!
Carol /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Chopstick
01-10-2005, 03:04 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote CarolNYC:</font><hr> Hi there,
This is a very good tape-I believe its on this tape where Rempe tells you to throw out all 15 balls and pocket them WITHOUT the cueball touching a rail-this is the drill I do!
Its difficult at first, but then it becomes alittle easier!
Good luck!
Carol /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif <hr /></blockquote>

Yes, that's the tape. I bought them both and liked them both.

woody_968
01-10-2005, 03:25 PM
It is a good tape, you will learn from it. You should also get Capelle's "Play Your Best Straight Pool" and Cranfields "The Straight Pool Bible". Cranfields book is a very easy read but will teach you several things you need to know.

Welcome to the wonderfull world of 14.1 /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

HallofFame
01-10-2005, 07:57 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote PQQLK9:</font><hr> Mike Sigel's "Perfect Straight Pool" is a very good tape. <hr /></blockquote>

Being Jimmy's friend I am a little bias about his videos, I'm glad everybody likes them; however, if I may be not so much critical but to put a plug in for Sigel's tape that was mentioned. Jimmy's "How to Run a Rack" is just that, he shows a break shot then runs the rack; great stuff. Then he will show a different break shot and run the rack. Mike on the other hand shows MORE break shots because he does not spend time running the rack afterwards. I believe Mike's tape is "out of print" and can only be found occasionally on ebay. It would be great if you could get all three tapes, you can't help but improve your game watching and learning from two Hall of Famers.

OR, if you were as lucky as I am to live in Scranton, PA. you could just walk up the street a couple of blocks and shoot straight pool with him; that will REALLY improve your game. /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif

HOF

recoveryjones
01-10-2005, 08:09 PM
I've got the two Rempe videos and they are both pretty good. I've also got Sigels and Jimmy Reids videos and they are good as well.Grady Mathews also has an excellent straight pool video.These guys are all experts in their fields and one can't go wrong with knowledge aquired from learning from any of them.

I believe if you can learn one excelent thing from a video that it's well worth getting.All of these videos offer much more than that.RJ

CarolNYC
01-11-2005, 03:02 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Agreed, both tapes are excellent. You also might want to get the tape of Jim Rempe playing San Souci in the 2000 US open ( <hr /></blockquote>

Rempe runs 80,38 and 28,I believe-the score is sad though, Rempe 150 and Ginky -12
PM with your address,if you'd like to borrow the tape-the KEYWORD is borrow,which means I would like it back! /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif
Take care!
Carol

dmgwalsh
01-11-2005, 04:50 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote PQQLK9:</font><hr> Mike Sigel's "Perfect Straight Pool" is a very good tape. <hr /></blockquote>

All very good suggestions. Sigel's other tape "Run out Series", has a section where he runs around 100 and is also worth looking at. Grady covers a lot of the break shots in his tape, similar to what Sigel does in "Perfect". Dallas West runs 100 is an older tape worth looking at. George Fels has a lot of books that have sections on straight pool that are very good: "mastering Pool" and "How would you play this?" come to mind. The Sigel/Zuglan 150 and out match is also very good.
Dennis

DickLeonard
01-11-2005, 07:29 AM
The Babes competitiveness was in a class all by himself, it made his emotions very hard to Controll. Every sport and game he played he excelled at and still ran his 200+ every day he played pool. An Amazing Man.####

PQQLK9
01-11-2005, 08:50 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote dmgwalsh:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote PQQLK9:</font><hr> Mike Sigel's "Perfect Straight Pool" is a very good tape. <hr /></blockquote>

All very good suggestions. Sigel's other tape "Run out Series", has a section where he runs around 100 and is also worth looking at. Grady covers a lot of the break shots in his tape, similar to what Sigel does in "Perfect". Dallas West runs 100 is an older tape worth looking at. George Fels has a lot of books that have sections on straight pool that are very good: "mastering Pool" and "How would you play this?" come to mind. The Sigel/Zuglan 150 and out match is also very good.
Dennis <hr /></blockquote>

You are right about the Sigel "Run Out series". I have all of Mike's tapes and the "Perfect Straight Pool " is combined on a tape with 8 &amp; 9 ball.

UTAddb
01-11-2005, 11:01 PM
Thanks for all the replies, I cant wait to get some tapes. Carol- I really appreciate the offer, but I'm kind of in the middle of moving so it might be a hassle to find me.

CarolNYC
01-12-2005, 02:40 AM
Hey DDB,
So when you get settled,let me know /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif
Good luck with moving and good luck with your game!
Take care!
Carol /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif