PDA

View Full Version : seeking help

shanger
01-10-2005, 08:41 PM
hi. i've been thinking about getting a personal pool cue, i play about 3-4 times a week and plan on entering some local tournaments and such. i have looked at falcon and mcdermott cues. are these cues something i should be looking at? or maybe something less until i become more serious playing pool. any help is appreciated.

cueball1950
01-10-2005, 08:57 PM
good choices... you are on the right track i would think...jmho..........................mike

GeraldG
01-10-2005, 09:00 PM
The subject of which cue to buy is one that no one can answer for you. Both of the cues you mention are ggod cues. Which one you need to buy depends entirely on you. The best thing to do is to try to find as many different people with a smany different cues as uou can find and ask them if you can hit a few balls with their cue. Very few people are going to object. Just be VERY careful and respectful with their cue. The only way that you are going to know which cue suits you is to try a bunch of them.

There are literally hundreds of different cues out there that range in price from less than $100.00 up to several thousand dollars for a custom cue. It is my opinion that if you are going to be serious about your playing and try to take it as far as possible, the your cue is something you really shouldn't skimp on. Buy as much cue as you can afford to buy. That doesn't mean that you need to drop $10,000.00 on a vintage Szamboti, but maybe you SHOULD avoid the $100.00 cues. Sometimes buying a used cue is the way to go. If you hang around the pool halls enough, you will run into some people selling cues. You might be able to pick up a $500.00 or $600.00 Joss or McDermott or whatever for $200 or $300 or less. If you do buy used, find an experienced player that you can trust to look it over for you, or a cuemaker or repairman if you have one near you.

The big thing is to find a cue that:

1. Plays well for you and is comfortable.
2. Is aesthetically pleasing to you.
3. You can afford.

There are a number of good cues out there in the $200 to $400 range that are very nice cues for the price. In my opinion, Falcon and Viking makes a good cues in that price range. McDermott cues have never really been favorites of mine, but that's just personal taste. That doesn't mean a McDermott wouldn't make a good cue for you. It all boils down to personal preference.

recoveryjones
01-10-2005, 09:05 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote shanger:</font><hr> hi. i've been thinking about getting a personal pool cue, i play about 3-4 times a week and plan on entering some local tournaments and such. i have looked at falcon and mcdermott cues. are these cues something i should be looking at? or maybe something less until i become more serious playing pool. any help is appreciated. <hr /></blockquote>

Phil Capelle(pool book author) recommends spending no more than $150 on your first cue as you will probably buy a second or a third cue down the road. He says by the time you get to your third cue you will know what you like in terms of weight, balance, shaft taper etc.etc.When you get to your third cue you can buy something (custom made cue) cosmetically fancy with the specs you like.

You could probably pick up a plain jane Mcdermott or Falcon for the price of $150. Both are reputable production cue makers so you probably can't go wrong with either. If you know friends that have them, see if they will let you hit a few shots. Hitting a few shots could help you make your decision. Best of luck, RJ

ps. I wouldn't be looking at something less than a $150 cue from cheaper company's that don't have the reputation of Falcon or Mcdermott as going too cheap might prove detrimental. That's just my opinion. There are other production cue makers out their such as Lucasi that could offer you a decent starter cue for around $150. Ask the good pool player in your area their opinions on reputable brand names.

woody_968
01-10-2005, 10:03 PM
Both of the cues you are talking about would serve you well. I would go for the Falcon, but that is just personal preference.

GeraldG
01-10-2005, 10:20 PM
Falcon does make a very nice cue for the money. Their J/B cues are excellent.

caedos
01-11-2005, 12:51 AM
There should be several threads on this subject in the archives of CCB if you want more input.

Among my team and the people I teach with, we have a pile of Jerico Cues by Jerry Powers. He's at http://www.jericocues.net/ Including him we have three BCA Master Instructors, at least two Advanced Instructors, at least four Certified Instructors, one travelling professional player, an endorsement from Jeanette Lee, and I don't know how many Recognized Instructors that use and tout his cues to the world. I believe he has some cues at very reasonable prices, and a service and upgrade policy that is unmatched. Whatever the price, his least expensive two-piece cue hits every bit as well as my high-end custom Jerico.

Love my Jerico,

Carl

randyg
01-11-2005, 06:26 AM
No doubt, Jerico ranks at the top of my list also....SPF-randyg

Cane
01-11-2005, 09:25 AM
Ditto Randy and Carl. I have a VERY nice Jerico that Jerry made from my design, and also have a Jerico Sneaky Pete that I take to places that I don't want to take a high dollar cue. The inexpensive Sneaky Pete hits just as well as the expensive one... both hit great!

Bob