PDA

View Full Version : Any opinions on the Olhausen Reno Laminate?

mg175150
01-10-2005, 09:44 PM
I'm just about set on the Olhausen Reno Laminate. I can get it for right at $2000 including delivery/setup, accessories, and tax. Does anybody have any experience with this table or any of the other Olhausen laminates? Do most people stick with the championship green cloth? I like the cherry laminate but am kind of caught up on the cloth color to go with it. The olhausen website shows the Reno in cherry laminate with green cloth. I have an Olhausen catalog that the dealer gave me that shows the Reno cherry laminate with a deep purple or burgundy cloth and it looks pretty cool as well. Let me know what you think. Thanks.

http://www.olhausenbilliards.com/pooltables_detail.php?id=40&cat=LAMINATES

table_tech
01-11-2005, 07:25 AM
thats a good price for an entry level table,but at that price you usually have to settle on some things.such as table hardware,slate choice 1" or 3/4",framed or unframed,real wood or composite/particle board and others as well.the most popular color s are shades of red,green or blue.take your time making the choice of colors ,you'll be looking at it for a long time.

DavidMorris
01-11-2005, 07:48 AM
Solid hardwood tables will last longer. But if this is a starter table with a mind toward getting something better a few years down the road once you decide to stick with the game, I'm sure that table will be fine. Just know that for 50% more you can get a hardwood table that will last a lifetime. And imported isn't all bad either, plus there is some American made junk out there too. Brunswick may not be as good as they once were (who is?) but they still make good tables regardless of where they're built. Me personally, I'd drop $2500-$3000 on a hardwood Brunswick before I'd spend $2000 on a laminate Olhausen.

As to cloth color, go with whatever you like, it all plays the same. Just make sure to get chalk that blends well with it. Myself, I like traditional green cloth. I think some of the other colors are nice, and I actually thought about getting the TV blue when I bought my table, but I was worried (since blue is considered the worst color for the eyes) that prolonged sessions might bug me.

It took a good bit of "diplomacy" to get my wife to go along with my Brunswick table purchase a couple years ago. She went with me to the shop and had to "agree" on the design I chose. She hates green, so automatically she wanted different cloth. I was getting Simonis 860, which has a more limited color selection than the standard cloth, and we settled on a burgandy/wine color to make her happy. I went along with it, since I was finally getting a table past her. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

So, when the truck showed up with the table 2 weeks later, they had ordered traditional green Simonis by mistake! I was a bit worried that the wife would tell them no, but I guess she saw how anxious I was to get the table setup after waiting 2 weeks for it that she let me keep the green. She's a good woman... /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif