PDA

View Full Version : Jury Duty

Popcorn
01-10-2005, 11:34 PM
Got a notice for jury duty starting on the 24th, I don't really want to go. They might take one look and not want me, I look like a Hells angel.

CarolNYC
01-11-2005, 03:52 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I look like a Hells angel. <hr /></blockquote>
Thats a GOOD thing! /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif
Carol

Wally_in_Cincy
01-11-2005, 06:52 AM
I have gotten 2 letters from the county over the last 5 years for common pleas jury duty. I did not return the questonaire and I never heard back from them.

I got a letter from the US District Court last year. I did not answer it. A few weeks later they sent me a letter stating that if I did not answer them I would get a visit from a federal marshal /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

As it turned out I only had to go downtown for one day. We sat around all day and were literally standing in the hallway ready to go in for questioning when we got word that the guy copped a plea.

Hon. Arthur Spiegel thanked us for our time and sent us on our merry way.

Barbara
01-11-2005, 08:19 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Wally_in_Cincy:</font><hr>
As it turned out I only had to go downtown for one day. We sat around all day and were literally standing in the hallway ready to go in for questioning when we got word that the guy copped a plea.

Hon. Arthur Spiegel thanked us for our time and sent us on our merry way. <hr /></blockquote>

Wally,

I just got summoned for Jury Duty last month. Here in NJ they send you a slip pf paper with your juror number on it. The night before you're supposed to report you have to call a number and the recorded msg lets you know whether you have to show up to court the next day or not.

I was excused for the two days I was supposed to report. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Barbara

roscoe
01-11-2005, 08:32 AM
I got called for jury duty about two years ago in Newark, NJ. I wound up on a criminal trial of a guy who mugged a teenage girl while returning from his weekly meeting with his probation officer. The guy was a real scumbag. I was appointed forman of the jury and through my efforts sent the guy away for a very long time. I actually had to argue with some jurors but prevailed. I slept well that night.

Roscoe

Wally_in_Cincy
01-11-2005, 08:35 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Barbara:</font><hr> ...The night before you're supposed to report you have to call a number and the recorded msg lets you know whether you have to show up to court the next day or not.<hr /></blockquote>

I had to call each weekend in January last year and for the first 3 weeks there were no trials. Finally the last time I called they said to show up Monday.

It's too bad I did not live more than 70 miles from the courthouse. They would have given me $150 for a hotel the night before.

I get the feeling there are not really that many federal cases that go to trial. When you are charged by the feds they usually have you dead nuts so it's best just to plead.

CarolNYC
01-11-2005, 10:44 AM
[ QUOTE ]
mugged a teenage girl <hr /></blockquote>
Good for you-you shouldve also added the stipulation that he be doused with female 'in-heat" moose scent and put in a caged pen with a whole bunch of male "mooses"!

Carol~I know,Im bad!I have a soft spot for kids and animals! /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

ras314
01-11-2005, 11:19 AM
Wally, I just got some jury forms I was required to fill out. Looks like I'll be on the hook for jury duty every court session for the next 6 months.

Thinking of hiding out down in Padre Island for a few weeks, wonder what happens if I get called up?

Wally_in_Cincy
01-11-2005, 11:42 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote ras314:</font><hr> Wally, I just got some jury forms I was required to fill out. Looks like I'll be on the hook for jury duty every court session for the next 6 months.

Thinking of hiding out down in Padre Island for a few weeks, wonder what happens if I get called up? <hr /></blockquote>

I think you retired guys should take up the slack for us hard-working schleps /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Six months? Good grief.

ras314
01-11-2005, 02:57 PM
Us retired guys are supposed to have the time to enjoy the golden years, not sit around in a courtroom. /ccboard/images/graemlins/blush.gif

Only two cases I know of this month involve people I know well, one guilty one not. Last thing I want involved in.

Rod
01-12-2005, 12:13 AM
Well if you don't go, then I have to! Not me personally but you know what I mean. I think it does people a lot of good to know how the system works. Well that is unless you have "inside" knowledge. LOL You can get out of jury duty if you lie and say it creates a hardship. That ain't however, I don't want to go or aunt Mable is visiting.

~~Rod, has served. was suppose to go two months ago but the case was dropped.

Popcorn
01-12-2005, 12:47 AM
My wife said she needs to cut my hair and trim my beard, clean me up a little. We cut each others hair. I think I will just go in looking just like I look and maybe they will not pick me. It is just for one trial or one day, but you could get a trial that goes for a month. It could be interesting, It's just have things to do and no time for this if it takes any amount of time.

CarolNYC
01-12-2005, 03:01 AM
[ QUOTE ]
think I will just go in looking just like I look <hr /></blockquote>
Good for you,Popcorn,
If they judge you by the way you look, then shame on them-I understand when you have things to do, this is something you just dont need right now!
Hope everything works out for you!
Carol /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Vapros
01-12-2005, 09:59 AM
I knew a lawyer who was appointed to defend an indigent guy who was on trial for breaking into a sporting goods store and stealing a bunch of guns and cameras. The lawyer said he worked hard and got the guy acquitted, and I asked him if he ever got paid anything for his efforts. He said he didn't get any money, but the guy gave him two of the guns and one of the cameras.

That's pretty funny, if you don't think about it too much.

Paul_Mon
01-19-2005, 04:45 AM
A few years back I was summoned for jury duty and reported Monday morning along with 300 others. The commissioner of jurors told us to prepare for a long day and that many trials were starting. We were herded around a few times and finally I ended up in one of the largest courtrooms for selection on a drug dealing case. Many people were interview and expressed concerns or painted themselves as prejudiced or just came off as kooks. When asked if she belonged to any clubs or organizations this 40-year-old size 8 women in a size 4 red dress replied “I’m secretary of the Star Trek club”. She was dismissed. Many people sat around me talking about how to not be selected. After about 3 hours of this they had selected 8 or 9 people and I’d heard so many stories and seen so many odd characters that I knew if interviewed I’d be selected. Near the end of the day I was picked to serve.

In my county the first person picked is the foreman and 2 alternates are selected to hear testimony but are excused once deliberations start. Our case was difficult to decide. We had 5 counts to decide, 3 of them we were in agreement on and 2 we were hopelessly deadlocked. On Thursday night we got sequestered at the local Holiday Inn, got to ride in the same bus you see transporting weekend prisoners to do roadwork.

Here’s why I was glad that I served. We had bigots on the jury who just knew that the guy was guilty because “all those people are”. We had to older women who seemed to agree with whatever was said last. Our foreman, who was also one of the bigots, was a “know it all”. He told us that if we don’t convict on all charges that the guy walks, not true the judge told us after sending the question out. We had a hard time because of the “innocent until proven guilty” mentality. The cops did a lousy job of gathering their evidence. One of the undercover cops who testified came across like a real scumball. Most of us did not believe parts of his testimony.

My feelings are that it is an honor and privilege to serve. My company pays me when on jury duty so financially it is not a hardship. Juries need people who are fair and impartial. The reason for 12 people becomes apparent when you deliberate and see hatred, stupidity and bigotry. In the end we did convict on 3 charges and I slept well that night.

Paul Mon

misery321
01-21-2005, 04:35 PM
I have a problem, if anyone can help me that would be great. Just recently I have been called upon for jury duty, but i cannot make it due to personal reasons(high social anxiety), is there any way i can get out of it without showing up, but by just calling in?

Wally_in_Cincy
01-24-2005, 08:13 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote misery321:</font><hr> I have a problem, if anyone can help me that would be great. Just recently I have been called upon for jury duty, but i cannot make it due to personal reasons(high social anxiety), is there any way i can get out of it without showing up, but by just calling in? <hr /></blockquote>

you probably would need a note from a doctor.

PQQLK9
01-24-2005, 08:34 AM
Just call the court and tell them you would rather play pool.

They would probably think you are crazy and excuse you. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Popcorn
01-24-2005, 04:42 PM
Today was jury day. I arrived with 600 other people for today. I got my number called and was assigned a court and judge with 17 others. After some questioning that took from 11 am till 3:30, (had to be at the court house at 7:45) they picked six and one alternate from us to make up a jury and the rest were let go. It was a civil case with some woman suing an old man she said hit her in a parking lot with his car. We were told the case would take 5 days and there would be 20 witnesses along with doctors as experts. Turns out the woman has already collected from the guys insurance company and since the car was in the name of the company he owns, a big development company worth millions, they were also suing the company civilly, a second bite of the apple so to speak. It was interesting the people they picked for the jury. Two old house wives, a kind of dumb sounding guy who works for the city cutting grass and a few other rather nondescript women. I say this because they questioned us so extensively you got to know a lot about each other. They did not pick a teacher a doctor a retired business owner or anyone who seemed to have a brain. (Just my opinion). I knew I was out right away when they asked me about ever being involved in any other court proceedings. We recently won a law suit against a guy who ran down my wife and took off. Luckily we got the tag number but it still took almost 2 years to get it settled. The one lawyer asked me what I thought about the experience and I told him in no uncertain terms, Sleazy lawyers for the insurance company, lying doctors, a lying client and nothing but a run around trying to just ware us down to settle cheap. Amazingly in the end the guy ended up telling the whole truth in a deposition after all that time and that was it, they were ready to settle no matter what. Anyway, I was glad to get out of there and not have to go back for 5 days for a case like that. They both looked sleazy to tell the truth.

Rod
01-24-2005, 06:47 PM
There all sleazy! LOL I'd want to burn the sleaziest. ha ha ha My chance to get even, JK. I've served on three or 4, I forget exactly. I was asked(by the defense lawer) when serving last, if the defendant was aquitted or found guilty. I replied he was aquitted. Your our boy!!lol
Little did they know I wanteed to barbecue the bastard /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

I served and we all barbecued this bastard instead!

Rod