PDA

View Full Version : Molavia Tip Review

buddha162
01-11-2005, 03:59 AM
I've been using the newest Moori Quicks for the past year and loved them, but was always looking for something better. I ordered a couple of Molavia Hards and had them on my cue for over a week now, and I can honestly say that they are better than Mooris.

First, I like a hard tip and the Molavias hit slightly crisper than the Moori Q's I've had. Also, the leather in the Molavia is finer grained, as I noticed when shaping with my willard shaper. I see fewer leather particles during shaping, and what comes off is more powdery (the Mooris came off in "wetter" clumps, if that makes any sense).

The layers are as evenly uniform as Mooris are, but the color is much lighter, almost a blond sidewall even after burnishing.

But most importantly, this tip did not mushroom at all, not even a little bit. In fact, I had the sidewalls slightly tapered in, and after 6 nights of solid play the taper held true, no flaring whatsoever anywhere in the tip. I (anally) shape my tips to a perfect nickel curve, and the center barely compressed.

Anyway, sorry for the long post, but I'm pretty excited about these tips, mainly because they seem to be far lower maintanence than the mooris, and hit slightly better for my tastes. I'm a complete nutcase when it comes to equipment, and I need a tip that will stay put and not change shape after a hard session of 9-ball, and I think I found it in hard Molavias.

-Roger

SpiderMan
01-11-2005, 09:02 AM
Can you post some close-up photos of the tips? What is the cost, and from what recommended source?

SpiderMan

buddha162
01-11-2005, 12:24 PM
hi Spiderman,

I got mine from cuemaster98 on ebay, I can pm you his contact if you don't have an account. They were running a special and I got 2 tips for 16.99, a buck for shipping. Ebay location said canada, but it shipped out from Texas; seems like a reputable seller, answered all my questions and shipped immediately. I remember him first trying to sell those tips for $40 each, and then $35, $25, lol...

I don't have a quality digital camera, or else this board will be bombarded with photos of my cues, tips, and cat (she's a looker), but just imagine a moori but blonder, slightly thicker leather layers, and thinner glue layers. I do wish I can take a pic, cuz it looks pretty with a red fiber pad; I'll see what I can do in terms of loaning a camera.

-Roger

PS. Sid should look into these as well, since he likes a hard tip.

buddha162
01-11-2005, 01:04 PM
Okay, here's the ebay seller's website: http://www.customcuesandtips.com/catalog/index.php?manufacturers_id=2&osCsid=5481d083f7d3f6 d5e8cfec2c40bb9b79

I'm sure he'll offer a trial tip for $10, makes sense to do so. Some very detailed photos of the tips, too bad there isn't one mounted and burnished, lol.

Here's the company website: http://www.molavia.com/eng/ (the "R" is for regular, ie medium).

-Roger

SpiderMan
01-11-2005, 03:29 PM
If the layers are thicker, does this mean that there are fewer layers? Or, is this a really tall tip?

What zip code in Texas?

SpiderMan

buddha162
01-11-2005, 10:57 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote SpiderMan:</font><hr> If the layers are thicker, does this mean that there are fewer layers? Or, is this a really tall tip?

What zip code in Texas?

SpiderMan <hr /></blockquote>

Hrm...I believe I tossed the envelope it came in, so I have no idea. It wasn't houston/dallas, I can tell you that, lol...

I don't have a moori in front of me now, but I did when I first received the Molavias and placed them side by side. I didn't count the number of layers, it could've been fewer, but maybe it's because the glue layer seemed thinner, if that makes any sense. I'm also pretty sure they were similar in height.

Again I'm not saying that these are head and shoulders better than the moori quicks I had, but just better in terms of crispness (same as hardness?) and holding it's shape (function of being harder?)...They do glaze over even quicker than a moori, but I chalk meticulously so that's not a problem for me.

Here's the guy's email address from his website: dlam@customcuesandtips.com
(http://www.customcuesandtips.com)

-Roger

SpiderMan
01-12-2005, 06:29 AM
Thanks Roger, if he was local I was going to drop by and see what he had. Sid V is also always interested in new varieties of harder tips.

BTW, I went to the web site and read a little, the tip does have fewer layers (nine) than a Moori.

SpiderMan

DavidMorris
01-12-2005, 06:33 AM
I believe the Molavia's are 9-layer tips, from what I read somewhere -- it might have been on their website.