PDA

View Full Version : How Do I know my Shaft is Still straight?

wuyeah
01-11-2005, 09:31 AM
Hello, it is a very beginner question. How do i know if my shaft is still straight. i feel more i look at it, more i see it is curved. i am not sure it is true, or just i stare too much of it and my mind starts to give an error message. Another totally different question: shafts might need to change due to misuse, does butt of a cue as fregil as shafts, or it is pretty much tough enough to last a life time?

Sid_Vicious
01-11-2005, 10:28 AM
You probably know to roll it on the table already for a sign of changes, the butt certainly can warp, I've seen many of them do that. As far as the exact ways to tell if it is in the butt or shaft...others will need to join in for that info. Simply rolling the seperate pieces doesn't always clear up the question..sid

tateuts
01-11-2005, 02:46 PM
The quick and easy way is to just sight down the whole cue from the butt end like a gun barrel keeping the tip in sight, and slowly turn the cue. You will see if it's off and usually approximaely where.

The other way is to lay the shaft on the edge of a flat counter top or table, get down to eye level. While turning it in place, watch the gap between the counter and the shaft. If it rises and falls, it's warped. You can do the same thing with most butts.

You can also roll the cue on a pool table and look for any wobbles, but this tells you less than the other methods. Hoever, if there is a wobble at the joint, yet the handle and shaft appear to be straight, the joint probably needs to be refaced (squared).

Chris