PDA

View Full Version : Two Cue?? More expansive Cue?? a Cue is a Cue

wuyeah
01-11-2005, 09:44 AM
Just out of curiosity, what is your reason for own 2 cue or purchase a second cue? I mean, for most people i think the second cue are better sometimes it might be more expansive than the first one they own. What exactly the more expansive cue gives you more advantage than cheaper cue? it might be the same weight or same length what more does more expansive cue offer? Isn't that true that a cue is still just a cue, it is more about what you can do with it just like camera equipment? own a pro camera doesn't make you a photographer.

Sid_Vicious
01-11-2005, 10:01 AM
My reason,,,I just want it. I began by searching for the magic wand and now I simply like any cue with simple elegance and a hit that is working for me...sid

Rich R.
01-11-2005, 10:04 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Sid_Vicious:</font><hr> My reason,,,I just want it. <hr /></blockquote>
Sid has is correct.
You buy more than one cue, "because it is there."

So many cues, so little money to buy them. /ccboard/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

GeraldG
01-11-2005, 10:12 AM
It sort of depends on the game you play. If you play a game that needs a power break (8-ball or 9-ball, etc.), you will probably want a second cue for breaking. If you break hard with your playing cue, you will eventually deform the tip.

Ives
01-11-2005, 10:19 AM
Most people who love playing pool, also love collecting cues, the more the better. Your right, if your fundamentals are sound you should be able to play well with any cue. to use yor own annalogy, a nice camera doesn't make you a photographer, but a good photographer doesn't limit himself to just one camera.

Popcorn
01-11-2005, 12:26 PM
Some people like nice things, they don't need to defend or even explain themselves. If your question is can you play better with a more expensive cue the answer is you can play better with a better cue and not a piece of junk. After a certain price though you don't get a better cue just a fancier or more collectable cue. I should add that you often find a real good playing cue among cheap cues but it is just chance. I had a $40.00 Palmer that played as good as any cue I have ever owned.

PQQLK9
01-11-2005, 12:28 PM
thank you

Billy_Bob
01-11-2005, 01:09 PM
I have two identical cues for "back-up" reasons. Same weight, and had them made to the same exact size at joints. If I have a problem with a shaft, I can use the other shaft. If one gets stolen/lost, I can use the other.

Also for maintenance reasons. If I need a new shaft and need to send the butt to the cuemakers (and it will take 3 weeks) I can play with the other butt and shaft.

I've been in tournaments where another player's tip flew off. He had to finish the tournament with a house cue as he did not have a spare shaft. Not a good situation to be in!

I also have a separate break and separate jump cue.

Fred Agnir
01-11-2005, 02:47 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote wuyeah:</font><hr> Isn't that true that a cue is still just a cue, it is more about what you can do with it just like camera equipment? own a pro camera doesn't make you a photographer. <hr /></blockquote>Anyone who believes that one camera isn't miles better than another doesn't know squat about cameras.

Fred

GeraldG
01-11-2005, 02:52 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Fred Agnir:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote wuyeah:</font><hr> Isn't that true that a cue is still just a cue, it is more about what you can do with it just like camera equipment? own a pro camera doesn't make you a photographer. <hr /></blockquote>Anyone who believes that one camera isn't miles better than another doesn't know squat about cameras.

Fred <hr /></blockquote>

That's the truth!! Plus, every good photographer has a backup camera.

Paul_Mon
01-11-2005, 03:43 PM
What a great question. We all know people who own dozens (if not more) of cues. You can only play with one, or maybe three, at a time. I own and carry with me a playing cue, a break cue and a jump cue. The playing cue has an extra shaft that travels with it. I'm a 314 guy, have been since 1996. I feel lost without a Predator shaft on my playing cue. A few years back before I had spares I was playing in the GWN tournament in Toronto when I shattered the butt of my 314 equipped Meucci. I borrowed a Falcon and went on to win the tournament playing over 25 games with a strange cue. I won the finals by a score of 5-0. Whats the point? You might ask. The point is that you can play and adjust to what you got at the time. But given the choice I want my custom made Blackheart with the 314 shaft.

My son and I both hunt whitetailed deer with bow and arrow. I have used the same bow for over 20 years. He owns three bows. He likes to keep up with technology, I don't feel the need.

Do what feels right

Regards........Paul Mon

Wally_in_Cincy
01-12-2005, 06:50 AM
I think I have about 6 or 7 cues. 2 of them were upgrades from a previous cue and I did not want to part with the old one for sentimental reasons. 1 was bought as a break cue, 2 I won in raffles, 1 is a sneaky pete I take to the tavern to play with.

It just seems like if you play pool you wind up with several cues. I am glad I kept them all now. Now that I have a home table I have plenty of nice house cues (Yes I let my friends use them because all my friends are pool players /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif ).