PDA

View Full Version : Baggage Handling Opinions?

Sid_Vicious
01-11-2005, 10:57 AM
Goin' to Reno in May and wondered, are there any differences in airlines concerning the unscrupulous activities pertaining to baggage handlers ripping off your stuff, or is the handlers totally isolated from the name of the airline itself?

Question 2: Who will be shipping their cues via Fedex, etc. instead of putting them in the belly of the plane?

Sid

Wally_in_Cincy
01-11-2005, 11:56 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Sid_Vicious:</font><hr> Goin' to Reno in May and wondered, are there any differences in airlines concerning the unscrupulous activities pertaining to baggage handlers ripping off your stuff<hr /></blockquote>

I don't know if there is a big problem with that. With all the security cameras around nowadays I would think anybody doing that would get caught pretty quick

<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Sid_Vicious:</font><hr> Question 2: Who will be shipping their cues via Fedex, etc. instead of putting them in the belly of the plane?

Sid <hr /></blockquote>

Certainly an option. If your flight is non-stop I would not bother but that's JMO

SpiderMan
01-11-2005, 12:04 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Wally_in_Cincy:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote Sid_Vicious:</font><hr> Goin' to Reno in May and wondered, are there any differences in airlines concerning the unscrupulous activities pertaining to baggage handlers ripping off your stuff<hr /></blockquote>

I don't know if there is a big problem with that. With all the security cameras around nowadays I would think anybody doing that would get caught pretty quick
<hr /></blockquote>

Wally,

Chopstick would disagree, maybe he'll weigh in with last year's experiences from his 'Vegas trip.

SpiderMan

Fred Agnir
01-11-2005, 12:28 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Sid_Vicious:</font><hr>
Question 2: Who will be shipping their cues via Fedex, etc. instead of putting them in the belly of the plane?

Sid <hr /></blockquote>I still travel with my cue often. Either in a cardboard tube or in the Porper Travel Bag. I'll be off to Derby City in a couple of days. I'll be using the Porper Bag most likely.

When you ship your cue Fedex, where do you think it ends up? Think: belly of a plane.

Fred

Pizza Bob
01-11-2005, 12:32 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Sid_Vicious:</font><hr> Goin' to Reno in May and wondered, are there any differences in airlines concerning the unscrupulous activities pertaining to baggage handlers ripping off your stuff, or is the handlers totally isolated from the name of the airline itself? <hr /></blockquote>

Ask those people that flew U. S. Air over Christmas - that is if they aren't still at the airport trying to reclaim their luggage

<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Sid_Vicious:</font><hr>Question 2: Who will be shipping their cues via Fedex, etc. instead of putting them in the belly of the plane?

Sid <hr /></blockquote>

I'd seriously consider shipping the cues overnight. My cuemaker friend prefers UPS to FedEx because he feels UPS pays any claims with less hassle - JHHO.

I fly with cues several times a year, but I had a three piece made so that I can pack it in my regular, checked, suitcase. Probably only slightly less risk of theft, but at least there is no separate case screaming "Steal me!".

Good luck.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

DavidMorris
01-11-2005, 03:11 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Fred Agnir:</font><hr>When you ship your cue Fedex, where do you think it ends up? Think: belly of a plane.

Fred <hr /></blockquote>
Fred, I myself would have less concern with the fact that the cue is on a plane, than with the security aspect of baggage handling. Baggage handlers are known for stealing a tremendous amount of personal belongings from checked baggage. And now that you cannot locked checked baggage anymore due to security regulations, I can see the potential for it to be worse than ever. Which is why the airlines themselves encourage people not to include valuables in their checked baggage or not to be conspicuous if they do.

As far as I know, domestic overnight shipments and such aren't subject to being opened unless they set off some sort of alert. Checked baggage on the other hand is very likely to be opened, whether for theft or security reasons.

If it were me, I would ship it if it held any value to me or would seriously disrupt me (like if I was flying to play a tournament). It doesn't cost much for the piece of mind, you can print and pay for your own shipping labels (both ways) online, and you can pickup/drop-off your cue from just about any hotel desk. I would also recommend FedEx because they take better care of packages -- UPS is the world's worst in my experience. I ship/receive quite a lot of stuff, mostly computer gear, and UPS has trashed more than I can remember. I don't recall ever having a problem with FedEx though.

landshark77
01-11-2005, 04:23 PM
Flew to FL last month with SEVERAL cues in a Porper roll tucked inside a Porper bag. We also checked my cue case with more cues in it. We flew South West (my first time via this airline). We spoke to the worker checking the bags and told her there were cues in the case/ bag and asked if she could please inspect them there because we did not want the baggage handlers messing up the cues when they un-rolled them, as we have had a previous bad experience on another airline. She said that she could not do that, but there should be no reason for the handlers to open the bags unless they saw something opaque or something they could not make out. She had me remove all metal objects from my bags...i.e., cue claw and etc...when we retrieved our bags the cues were untouched...they never even opened the bags.

SpiderMan
01-12-2005, 06:38 AM
When I flew from Dallas to Las Vegas last May, I simply put my regular 3x6 cue case inside my checked suitcase (it just fits, when placed diagonally), which was "locked" with a plastic zip tie. When I picked up the bag, the same zip tie was still in place, so the luggage was unopened.

On the other had, my friend Chopstick's luggage arrived from Orlando minus a brand-new camera and a pocketknife.

SpiderMan

SpiderMan
01-12-2005, 07:51 AM
Police released new surveillance video of a Spokane TSA Screener convicted of stealing drugs out of passenger's luggage.

Screener Wendy Swason's co-workers turned her in for swiping pain killers out of the bags she was supposed to be searching for explosives.

A hidden camera caught her in the act of stealing and even swallowing a passenger's pills.

http://www.kxly.com/common/getstory_41690.asp

Paul_Mon
01-12-2005, 08:32 AM
Do a google search on: Fishing Pole travel case. I own a hard travel case for my golf clubs. One year when we went to Florida the family used the golf case for towels, fish poles, snorkel gear and I put my entire cue case inside. If a few people were traveling together the golf case would easily hold five 2X4 cue cases. You still need to contend with loss and theft.

Paul Mon

ceebee
01-12-2005, 09:38 AM
Sid, I chose to send my cues, via UPS, when I went to the Riviera, in Las Vegas. I spoke with the manager, behind the check in counter, when I arrived at the Riviera. He told what time to check on UPS Deliveries. My Cues &amp; the Case arrived sealed in a box.

You might want to call ahead, to see if you have an alloted room number and/or speak with some at the reservations counter about UPS Delivery service.