PDA

View Full Version : First Lesson next week-Any Advice?

Wally_in_Cincy
05-25-2002, 07:40 AM
I'm looking forward to my first formal instruction next Sat. from local BCA instructor John Scalf.

It's 2 sessions, 6 hours total, with 4 students and one instructor, with both group and individual instruction.

Any advice from y'all on how to get the most out of the sessions? TIA

Kato
05-25-2002, 07:55 AM
Listen and do what he says. When Voodoo gave me my first lesson, I was pigheaded. Took me 2 months to figure out he was right. They are instructors for a reason. He will help if you let him.

Kato

Tom_In_Cincy
05-25-2002, 08:01 AM
Wally,

If you have any specific questions, write them down, so you won't forget them. Take notes. It would be a good thing to have a bunch of Blank table diagrams (you can get these from my website http://www.geocities.com/cincytom314 ) and select the Drills and templates section, where you will find a printable blank table drawn to scale with grids on the playing surface from the diamonds.

JimS
05-25-2002, 08:09 AM
Thanks Tom. That template was just what I've been looking for.

JimS
05-25-2002, 08:10 AM
Be teachable.

Sid_Vicious
05-25-2002, 09:14 AM
Ask yourself "What do I want to get out of this lesson" before you show up. Lastly, do not run right out after your lesson to gamble. It takes time to trust and succeed, no matter how you feel your competence has been raided...sid

Chris Cass
05-25-2002, 09:50 AM
Hi Wally,

Not trying to be smart or anything but take notes and ask if the lesson you take on the one on one can be taped. It's good to keep track of what an instructor says because they usually give so much information. The mind can only soak in so much. Good luck and remember to keep an open mind, don't take anything for granted. IMO Barbara and Fred could probably elaberate more on the subject. Wait, Just go to the source, ask the instructor. Anyone we know? Don't forget to let us know how everything goes.

Regards,

C.C.~~always wanted to go to someone to find out what I need to get over the top.

Scott Lee
05-25-2002, 12:35 PM
Wally...You got all good responses, but Chris nailed it on the head. As a BCA certified instructor, it is John's responsibility to use videotape analysis to help improve the student's game. I usually videotape the entire lesson (two hours) and give a copy to the student(s) for their review later on. Nothing helps correct mechanical flaws more than seeing yourself on tv!

Secondly, if he doesn't FOCUS on fundamentals and mechanics, for EACH student individually (regardless of the skill levels of the students), then you should probably find a new instructor. I find that the majority of people who come to me with "aiming" problems, have more of a problem in how they deliver the cuestick through the CB. When I fix their stroke, often their perceived aiming
problem goes away.

Scott Lee