PDA

View Full Version : Cue ball weight

mworkman
01-12-2005, 12:40 PM
Call me crazy, but I weighed the cueball at the bar last night (during league night). The cueball weighed 6.14 oz, and the object balls weighed 5.77 oz. This was a difference of .37oz. Is this significant?

I had heard that the Valley tables were supposed to have cueballs of equal weight now. This was a fairly new table, so it surprised me a little. Or is it that the weight is closer to the same then it was before?

I think I will try to find one of equal weight to practice with at home..

Bob_Jewett
01-12-2005, 12:46 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote mworkman:</font><hr> Call me crazy, but I weighed the cueball at the bar last night (during league night). The cueball weighed 6.14 oz, and the object balls weighed 5.77 oz. This was a difference of .37oz. Is this significant?
... <hr /></blockquote>
It is a significant difference. You will find it much harder to draw the ball.

Both the cue ball and the object balls wear down. After all, once chalk is in the cloth, you are playing on sandpaper (billiard chalk is finely ground sand). Usually it's the cue ball that's smaller and lighter because it wears on every shot, but the cue ball is replaced, it will be heavier than the object balls for a while. I think 5.77 oz is pretty light for object balls.

SpiderMan
01-12-2005, 01:18 PM
Are there published target weights and tolerances for the various "standard" cue balls?

SpiderMan

Pelican
01-12-2005, 01:28 PM
Ok, I have several.

Standard barbox 5.9 oz
Oversize barbox 6.8 oz
New type barbox 5.6 oz
Red circle ball 5.9 oz
'S' Super Pro 6.0 oz

If I am using the barbox with it open I like the red circle otherwise I use the standard barbox. The Super Pro is for the 9' Diamond.

Fred Agnir
01-12-2005, 01:58 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote mworkman:</font><hr> Call me crazy, but I weighed the cueball at the bar last night (during league night). The cueball weighed 6.14 oz, and the object balls weighed 5.77 oz. This was a difference of .37oz. Is this significant? <hr /></blockquote>That's a heavy cue ball. The old style valley cueballs that I have )wire cage) are within .05 of 5.75 oz.

Fred

Ives
01-12-2005, 03:56 PM
how did you weigh them ? just curious /ccboard/images/graemlins/confused.gif

mworkman
01-12-2005, 09:28 PM
I used the same scale I use to measure out my coke.. Just kidding. /ccboard/images/graemlins/cool.gif I bought a digiweigh on ebay for about $20.00. It measures up to about 13oz.

Rod
01-12-2005, 09:58 PM
This subject has been discussed about 47 times. LOL Your scale may not be accurate, a Valley ball isn't that heavy. I have weight measurement somewhere except for the new aramith ball. I've played with it though and it isn't a huge difference like this. At 6.14 OZ, that is a real heavy ball. That weight is closer to a big ball or a red dot. It's doubtful a bar box c/b with the same weight exists. One exception would be a Diamond smart table to my knowledge.

Rod

stickman
01-12-2005, 10:34 PM
If you have the older Valley cueball, you will like the newer style tournament magnetic cue ball with the grn. Aramith logo. These balls return. In this area, all the tournaments use the Super Aramith Pro cue balls. These play best, but don't return, and require additional balls for scratches, or need to have the table opened up.

I can't tell you the weights, just how they play.

Jim

Rod
01-12-2005, 11:12 PM
Jim, what a nice area to live in. We were the last ones, as far as I know to open the tables and play with a red circle.
I've never played with the pro cup but I doubt there is little difference between it and a red circle.

The people around here whined about the c/b being to heavy so we changed. It is important to note we were playing with a red dot. That ball is heavier than any valley ball.

The problem is you can play with any ball obviously but people don't adjust well. With a heavy ball you play more position for follow shots. Of course that doesn't work well because most players like to use low. (to cinch a shot) I think all of this comes (in the beginning) from trying to keep the c/b from following the o/b in a hole. Low became a standard, when in fact all you have to do is aim off center or shoot easier for near the same effect.

In the end, it isn't a big deal. Long time players in general can adjust to any ball, a definate advantage. In terms of what people like though, it is a light cue ball.

The c/b can be your friend, if you use it to your advantage.

nhp
01-13-2005, 12:27 AM
Out of curiosity, does anyone know who makes those cueballs that are slightly yellow in color, instead of the pitch-white red circle cueballs? I played at a room that had those yellowish cueballs, and they seemed pretty light.

mworkman
01-13-2005, 06:31 AM
Rod.. I doubt the scale is off. I've weighed all my balls at home several times and get the exact same weight every time +/- .01. The cueball looked very blue. It didn't have any special markings on it either. It was probably a pretty old magnetic one. These guys are too cheap to replace them with new ones.

stickman
01-13-2005, 10:34 PM
I use to play some places that used the old slug balls. It was imparitive that you learn to use follow shape. It took a great stroke to draw a ball more than ten inches. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

stickman
01-13-2005, 10:43 PM
It sounds like what we called mud balls. They were horrible to play with, especially if you like to play shape with draw. I learned to play nearly all my shots with follow or stop for that reason. Add to that, you had to be careful slow rolling, because they didn't always roll straight.

GeraldG
01-14-2005, 02:27 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote stickman:</font><hr> It sounds like what we called mud balls. They were horrible to play with, especially if you like to play shape with draw. I learned to play nearly all my shots with follow or stop for that reason. Add to that, you had to be careful slow rolling, because they didn't always roll straight. <hr /></blockquote>

Almost every bar box around here still has mud balls. I hate them.

Rod
01-14-2005, 06:39 AM
As mentioned it may be an old mud ball. There a bluish grey tint in color. They are heavy.

Rod