PDA

View Full Version : Stamina or Stupid

Sid_Vicious
05-25-2002, 08:32 AM
I was stroking balls in here at the house beginning early (7A.M.), a common occurance on a Saturday for me, and I projected forward and remembered that in the past I'd take the game to town in the P.M like always, possible playing till midnight. Then it occured to me that often I'd get up in the night with severe leg cramps after the marathon day at the PH, it made me wonder "Is stamina eventually going to be accomplished with this feverish schedule, or is this counter productive in the long run?"

Thanks in advance,
Sid

Tom_In_Cincy
05-25-2002, 09:16 AM
Sid,
If you are getting leg cramps, maybe its a vitamin thing. Muscle cramps can be avoided by an intake of potassium (bannanas are a great source).

A good diet of fruits and vegtables is always advantageous for healthy muscles.

Plus, if you are winning in these long sessions, you are breaking alot. This will effect your legs stamina. You use your legs more while breaking, than while losing.

If you are standing a lot, while not shooting, you also might want to try sitting or leaning more, to relieve the support of your legs.

Sid_Vicious
05-25-2002, 09:21 AM
Whew! I worried I was getting old or somethin'. ;-) sid

Tom_In_Cincy
05-25-2002, 09:43 AM
Getting old is better than the alternative,

In your case, there are 3 sure signs of getting old:

1. failing eyesight

2. failing memory

3. duh.. I forgot

05-25-2002, 09:58 AM
I always wondered why my legs where so small. Maybe I should try winning a little more so I can work out my calves! Now if I could only do something about these dang headaches.

rackmup
05-25-2002, 10:00 AM
I'm 43 (will be 43 again in August) and my problems are not with the legs. It's my back, from the base of my hard head to the middle of my back, that hurts most often after a long practice/playing session.

A couple of new areas of pain have cropped up as well...I have pain in my right wrist (I'm right-handed.) The pain is isolated to the inside of the wrist, at the thumb pad area. My right ankle (inside area again) is bothering me also.

Man...I'm falling apart.

Regards,

Ken (not afraid to admit that I am hill-hill with "Father Time")

Jay M
05-25-2002, 02:32 PM
Ken,
The problem in your wrist comes from snapping it during your shots and is one of the reasons that I tend to follow the "locked wrist" theory. BTW, I got that theory from Table Tennis (back in the days when I used to play pool for 2 hours then table tennis for 2 hours every day) where you lock your wrist in one position and use your upper arm and forearm to make the shots.

Jay M

MikeM
05-25-2002, 03:14 PM
Add "drink lots of water and take in less salt" to Tom's advice. Potassium and Sodium are electrolytes (along with chloride, magnesium and phosphate). Sodium is more abundant in the extracellular (outside the cell) fluids, and potassium more abundant in the intracellular fluids (inside the cell). So if this balance is upset, muscle cramps can occur. The imbalance can be caused by a low potassium intake or excessive sodium intake. Water helps regulate it all.

I have been experiencing leg pain from pool lately and have also added stretching to my routine before, during and after shooting pool.

MM

Sid_Vicious
05-26-2002, 10:01 AM
What! That's one of my 2 favorite food groups, salty & fatty...sid~~~then Lays potatoe chips, can't eat just one

Cuemage
05-27-2002, 05:09 AM
Hi Sid,

When I had all 4 wisdom teeth removed, I was on a liquid diet and had severe leg cramps. Luckily my wife's best friend is a nurse & she said I had an iron deficiency. The 2 ways I chose to get iron was through vitamins (short term) and eating red meat (long term). Hope this helps...

Tha Cuemage