PDA

View Full Version : Food Poisoning

nhp
01-12-2005, 11:50 PM
Right now I am the most sick I have ever been in my entire life. I feel about twice as bad as I did when I had pneumonia for over a week during US Army basics. I've had this since yesterday morning. The night before I ate some fast food, and I felt fine until I woke up yesterday morning feeling queasy. I managed to fall back asleep, and I woke up feeling like I was about to vomit, which I did. I vomited so badly that I kept trying to vomit even though I had nothing left in me. I vomited for the whole day, probably about 10 different times. I couldn't eat any food, I just drank water and would vomit it back up about 20 minutes later. Today I am not vomiting, but I've got horrible indigestion, even though I have not eaten anything in 2 days. I have a 102 degree fever and body aches. I wish I could go to Del Taco and punch the worker in the face, that would make me feel better.

highsea
01-13-2005, 12:07 AM
No wonder you've been so grumpy the last couple days. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

geez, didn't you get some foil in a burger a couple months back? Man, you have the worst luck with fast food.

I'm lucky, nothing touches me, I ate street tacos in Mexico for 3 months last winter, never had the slightest problem. (probably cause I was chasing them with tequila!)

hope you feel better soon Nate. Have a few shots of Don Julio...

nhp
01-13-2005, 12:17 AM
All of my friends tell me that when it comes to fast food, I am cursed. I've had food poisoning about 5 times, but never this bad. And the foil in my burger, I haven't eaten at Carl's Junior ever since. This was probably my last time eating at Del Taco. Before 2006 I probably will be avoiding fast food in general. Yeah, I've been a little grumpy, thanks for the well-wishes though.

SecaucusFats
01-13-2005, 12:43 AM
Get your ass to a doctor ASAP! I suspect you may have e.coli. Food poisoning is serious stuff. Believe me, I know. I had symptoms like yours and by the time I got to a doctor I could have almost been dead. I know I'm not on your list of favorite people, but please listen to me, get medical help ASAP.

SF

highsea
01-13-2005, 02:48 AM
Listen to SF, Nate. 102 is a pretty high temp, you sound pretty bad off. Better get it checked out ASAP.

-CM

eg8r
01-13-2005, 07:07 AM
That sucks man. I got sick from some hotel food a little while ago. It is the worst. Hope you feel better soon.

eg8r

Wally_in_Cincy
01-13-2005, 07:13 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote nhp:</font><hr>.. This was probably my last time eating at Del Taco. Before 2006 I probably will be avoiding fast food in general. ..... <hr /></blockquote>

A couple of years ago I read a book called Fast Food Nation. Since then my consumption of fast food has gone down 80% /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

I buy my ground beef at the local butcher where they grind it onsite. Less chance of e coli that way.

I hope you get to feeling better. A trip to Urgent Care might be in order. Food poisoning can be dangerous.

Barbara
01-13-2005, 07:56 AM
nhp,

Get yourself to a Doctor immediately!! Food poisoning can KILL YOU! You may think that you can ride this out, but don't fool yourself, there are more issues going on that you know.

Barbara

Chopstick
01-13-2005, 09:52 AM
I have had food poisioning before but I never had any kind of fever. That don't sound right. I agree with these guys. Make a trip to the doctor.

SpiderMan
01-13-2005, 10:02 AM
That's doesn't sound like food poisoning to me. Better go to the doctor. I've had bad food poisoning twice, and both times it hit within 4-6 hours and was gone in a day. It was not accompanied by any fever, either. Otherwise, the symptoms were just as bad.

With food poisoning as I've known it, you'll puke so hard that it feels like you're pulling your [censored] up into your colon. You'll barf out your mouth and nose at the same time. There won't be time for the chunks to fall out of your sinuses before you're puking again. Drink water as fast as possible between pukes, this will help you get purged, and puking alone isn't as painful as the dry heaves. The faster you can get puking the better, because that stuff is nastier the further it has to be pulled up from.

Once it's over, you'll feel weak as a baby but otherwise OK, and you'll be hungry as hell later that day. Don't go back to Pancho's buffet, though, for a week or so.

SpiderMan

SecaucusFats
01-13-2005, 02:31 PM
I contracted food borne e.coli, oh.. about 9 years ago. My symptoms began shortly after lunch. I had pain in my stomach and loose bowels and so I went home early. I took some Pepto and went to bed. Shortly afterwards my stomach and intestines were churning and I was running to the 'throne' 3 or 4 times an hour.

I decided to wait for it to go away. At 10 PM that night my ex drove me to the Hospital. I was severely dehydrated, my electrolyte levels were out of whack, and I was raging with fever. The doctor immediately put me on intravenous fluid
and antibiotic therapy. I stayed overnight and was sent home the next morning with instructions to immediately contact my personal physician.

Later that day,my doctor said that if, on the previous night, I had waited until morning to seek medical attention I would have been dead. He gave me prescriptions for antibiotics, and 2 cases of Pedialyte (man that Pedialyte is NASTY!).

Anytime you suspect food poisoning and have a fever, get to a doctor.

SF

Cueless Joey
01-13-2005, 03:02 PM
You most likely have e-coli bacteria.
Years ago, I had salmonella poisoning. I thought I was gonna die.
It felt like I swallowed a knife and it was turning inside. I had the usual v'mitn and forced disharge problems. I had to go to the doctor. He told me it was very common.
I never eat at Taco Bell or Del Taco. I only eat burger at In N Out b/c I've never heard of anyone getting poisoned from there.

Rod
01-13-2005, 05:15 PM
Nasty stuff. I didn't think is was as bad as everyone makes it out to be. I've had it twice with all the usual stuff mentioned. One night I was holding on to my dresser when my legs completely left me. My head and other parts hit the floor hard. I was laying in a cold sweat on the floor with the cooler running. Finally made it to bed and passed out. I woke up later only to start making trips to the bathroom. It was gone late the next day.

The worst however was an inner ear problem. I had no sense of balance and "any" movement made me throw up. I lived with that over a weekend, then had someone drive me to the doc on monday. My gut was so sore and I was still throwing up. It was 10 days before I could walk without sliding on walls or holding on to chairs etc. BTW the numerous trips to the bathroom was on hands and knees! Hell everything hurt, including my knees. To this day my balance isn't near what it use to be.

Rod

Popcorn
01-13-2005, 06:01 PM
I haven't read any of the other posts but you need to see a doctor or go to the emergency room. People in your condition can do serious harm to their heart from food poisoning. I have had it twice once almost dying I was only saved because I went to the hospital. I had vomited so bad I ruptured my stomach and got blood poisoning. I was close to death when they got me to the hospital. You lose electrolytes you need to be on an IV if you are as bad as you describe. At the very least you need to be drinking Gatorade and see a doctor.

SPetty
01-13-2005, 07:47 PM
Hey nhp, c'mon now, you haven't posted since the time frame you posted this. Give us a quick update, eh?

Did you make it through? Are you still with us? And did you ever get your new cue?

Barbara
01-13-2005, 08:07 PM
SPetty,

We're all hoping that he has family/friends to call for help...

Everyone should. /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Barbara~~~with fingers crossed...

freethought201
01-13-2005, 09:22 PM
Go to ER and get some antibiotics.

Rod
01-13-2005, 10:08 PM
It's a test.

Rod

nhp
01-14-2005, 12:00 AM
I got back from the hospital earlier today, I feel much better except for some really bad heartburn. I took some zantac 75 and that stuff works great. Thanks for your concern. I had a pretty bad case of food poisoning, but it wasn't e.coli. All in all, I think this was a pretty big wake-up call for me about eating too much fast food. I have really fast metabolism, and no matter how much I eat, I can't gain a pound, so I have a tendency to be a little reckless when it comes to junk food. This is my third time having food poisoning, the first time was from In&amp;Out, the second time was from a hole-in-the-wall Mexican Restaraunt, and now this time from Del Taco. I'm also not counting the time I found foil &amp; plastic in my burger from Carl's Jr. (which I had eaten some of, but I didn't get sick).

This has really got me thinking about how negligent so many people are who make food for you. When you are doing nothing but making food the entire day, and you have a rush of customers, I am positive that the workers don't really give a crap if the meat is undercooked, or if they left it sitting out for too long. I really think the health department needs to start cracking down on this, because people can die from it.

To S.Fats- I don't hate you, I said before that even though I get into heated arguments and sometimes name calling with the conservatives on this board, I still think you guys are cool dudes, so don't take it to heart.

Rod- No, it wasn't a test, why would you say that??

Rod
01-14-2005, 06:15 AM
Just my demented humor. Meaning it was a test from higher authority to see if you make it through the ordeal. I sometimes feel things like this are a test or if nothing else to learn from the experience. You passed. LOL

Glad to hear your feeling better. You know out here the local news channel reports on restaurants that receive bad health reports from the county inspector. If they fail a health inspection the place is closed down until corrections are made.

A place may not fail but receive a warning. In that case an inspector will be back out, I think in 10 days to inspect again. The fast food joints always make the news. The most common are Mexican and Oriental places. Some nicer places fail once in a while too. You just never know.

Rod

SecaucusFats
01-14-2005, 06:57 AM
Glad to hear you're OK! /ccboard/images/graemlins/cool.gif BTW, you're OK with me too. LOL, lord knows I CAN be a pompous windbag sometimes. Like I said I'm just glad you're OK, now stop eating at those fast food joints! /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

SF

tateuts
01-14-2005, 07:13 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote nhp:</font><hr> Right now I am the most sick I have ever been in my entire life. I feel about twice as bad as I did when I had pneumonia for over a week during US Army basics. I've had this since yesterday morning. The night before I ate some fast food, and I felt fine until I woke up yesterday morning feeling queasy. I managed to fall back asleep, and I woke up feeling like I was about to vomit, which I did. I vomited so badly that I kept trying to vomit even though I had nothing left in me. I vomited for the whole day, probably about 10 different times. I couldn't eat any food, I just drank water and would vomit it back up about 20 minutes later. Today I am not vomiting, but I've got horrible indigestion, even though I have not eaten anything in 2 days. I have a 102 degree fever and body aches. I wish I could go to Del Taco and punch the worker in the face, that would make me feel better. <hr /></blockquote>

Nate,

The exact same thing happened to me, sickest I've ever been. It's the flu, but it's just like the nastiest food poisioning I've ever had - and I guarantee it wasn't that Sergio's Pizza we had. We must have been exposed to the flu at the UPA event together.

We're not the only ones - a lot of people have it. 24 hours is the wrost but I lost my appetite for 3 days and I'm doing better now.

Chris

nhp
01-14-2005, 03:18 PM
Chris, I just talked to my sister this morning and she told me her husband has the same exact thing too. They live 15 miles from us. I guess it's the flu with food poisoning symptoms. Did you feel really dizzy and weak?

tateuts
01-14-2005, 08:52 PM
Man I was so sick I couldn't believe it. Monday night I woke up every hour from 11 p.m. until 5 a.m. violently ill -stayed at home from work Tuesday shaking in bed with the chills. No appetite, low fever for a day, then didn't have much of an appetite until today actually. What happens is you get weak from fever, dehydration and lack of food.

I thought it was food poisoning too until I read your post!
But other people have had it too - it sure was like food poisoning - nasty stuff. I feel pretty good now, still not 100%.

Chris