PDA

View Full Version : bank pool question

LARRY_BOY
01-13-2005, 07:04 AM
I was watching bank pool (Piggy banks vs. Jason Miller) the other night and not being a bank pool player I have a question. It seems as though bank pool players as a group hit their shots very hard. Some balls were actually leaving the table on there way to the pocket. Is there a reason for this? I have never have saw a nine ball player do this. Thanks for your input........

Chopstick
01-13-2005, 07:58 AM
There a few reasons. Grady Matthews once told me that there are three ways to make a bank. A nine ball way, a bank pool way and a one pocket way. My lesson that day was on bank pool so we didn't get into the other ways very much.

Basically what they are doing are no english banks. I assume you know that if you cut across the object ball with the cue ball on a bank shot it will impart english to the object ball and you put english on the cue ball to counteract it.

In the no english bank system you just overcut the object ball a little and shorten it up with speed. Every shot you hit is medium firm to firm. You can make a wide variety of bank shots with no english at all. In addition to removing the spin/rail variable, it takes out table drift and some of the rail variance.

In nine ball and one pocket there are other considerations. Cue ball position has a higher priority in nine ball and one pocket. Bank is a more aggressive game. Scoring has the highest priority. Plus it's just plain more fun to snap em' off. /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

loofnicnad
01-13-2005, 08:45 AM
Good question LARRY BOY,
Thanks chopstick for your answer.

Wally_in_Cincy
01-13-2005, 09:16 AM
I think it was Glen Rogers who said he hit all his banks at the same speed (firm) and used angle and english as the variables.