PDA

View Full Version : Derby City Classic '05 first story

Fred Agnir
01-13-2005, 07:13 PM
So, I'm sitting at the Philadelphia waiting for a crew to show up to get me to Louisville. I and a few other people sit and wait for 5 hours. "Stay in the gate area," they kept saying. There were 5 kids, all unrelated, all waiting, all getting quite annoying. After a while, it got way past irritating.

I consoled myself with some fine reading: the latest John Grisham offering. I checked some of the other passengers to see how they were passing the time. Most were reading some kind of airport tome. A lady next to me was going over a business report. An older gentleman across was reading a book with a Spanish title. Funny, he didn't look Spanish.

Finally a crew came, and the gate erupted in applause. We boarded and two hours later we were touching down in Louisville, this week's venue for the gambling frenzy to come. I was of course quite concerned with my cue as it had been out of my hands in and in USAir's questionable ones for so long. But, thankfully as I walked towards the luggage carousel, there was my maroon Porper Travel Bag.

Now here's where the story gets silly. I noticed there was another cue case on the carousel. And it wasn't covered or anything. The case with cues, an older 3/7 Instroke was just carouseling away. One of the pockets was open. I thought to myself, "self, there's something only an idiot would do."

I paid little mind and went to get my rental car. Then I saw him. The fool who checked his case without any concealment. When he grabbed the case he looked up and saw me looking at him. I recognized him as the older man at the Philly airport reading a book with the Spanish Title. Funny, he still didn't look Spanish. He was Puerto Rican. His graying hair and baseball cap had me fooled. "Spanish" Mike Lebron!

He asked me if I was heading to the Executive, so I offered him a ride. Talking with him, he could have been my father. Just a regular guy. Oh wait, my father isn't just a regular guy. But if he was, Mike Lebron would have been just like him.

And that's only the first few hours of Day 1.

Fred <~~~ funny, he didn't look Spanish

9 Ball Girl
01-13-2005, 07:30 PM
Damn Fred, thanks for the laugh!!! So I'm curious, that open pocket on Spanish Mike Lebron's case, was it opened by him, was there anything missing, what was the book he was reading about?

Wendy<---looks Spanish

Barbara
01-13-2005, 07:37 PM
WHAT!!!

You were at Philly airport for five hours and didn't call me?!!

You @#%@! I could've picked you up, during rush hour even, drove you to my house, had a nice little Italian dinner (or even taken you to a 4-star (out of 5) sushi bar 5-minutes from me), and had you back with at least two hours to spare!!

So you met up with Uncle Mikey, huh? Good to know he's still playing. I only hear of him in the card room anymore, but then again I haven't been to the PH to experience the Filipino contingent in quite some time. I might have to draw out Pizza Bob for another experience if Tacony's still doing any night tournies. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif!

Barbara

Deeman2
01-14-2005, 09:46 AM
First off, my condolences for spending more than an hour in the Philly airport /ccboard/images/graemlins/frown.gif(sorry Barb). Second, we expect some great stories from our "Action Reporter" as well as some early descriptions of the ring games.

A little bird told me a certain Pickle had picked up a big wad of cash and was sure to go off big time, inquiring minds want to know.

Hope you have a good internet connection for all of us envious folks who are stuck in Nitville this weekend.

Have a great time Fred, but not too great. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

Deeman
with Fred in spirit only...

Tom_In_Cincy
01-14-2005, 09:59 AM
Fred,
I know for a fact, that this isn't your first DCC.
Take good notes, let us all know, as much as you can.

We keyboard pool players (living vicariouly through your exploits) appreciate any 'bones' you can throw at us...

Thanks Fred

dg-in-centralpa
01-14-2005, 03:11 PM
Great post Fred! I'm anxiously waiting for more stories.

DG

Harold Acosta
01-14-2005, 03:57 PM
Good post about Mike, Fred.

Not all Puerto Ricans are wild and crazy. Just take a look at Mike, Tony Robles, Tony Robles Sr., and Jose Garcia. A bunch of great soft-spoken and very likeable guys.

Hope you have a great time at the DCC, and keep us posted with info!

Ross
01-14-2005, 06:58 PM
Another yet another thanks for the report Fred - keep them coming!

Dagwood
01-14-2005, 08:24 PM
Fred, are you going to be giving updates on the Derby as it's going on, or is it going to be a daily summary? Just wondering, with the ring game going on tonight.

Dags

rukiddingme
01-15-2005, 03:10 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Deeman2:</font><hr> First off, my condolences for spending more than an hour in the Philly airport /ccboard/images/graemlins/frown.gif(sorry Barb). Second, we expect some great stories from our "Action Reporter" as well as some early descriptions of the ring games.

A little bird told me a certain Pickle had picked up a big wad of cash and was sure to go off big time, inquiring minds want to know.

Hope you have a good internet connection for all of us envious folks who are stuck in Nitville this weekend.

Have a great time Fred, but not too great. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

Deeman
with Fred in spirit only... <hr /></blockquote>

I Is the pickle you are referring to a cucumber?...lol
ruk

Deeman2
01-15-2005, 08:44 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote rukiddingme:</font><hr> <hr /></blockquote>

I Is the pickle you are referring to a cucumber?...lol
ruk <hr /></blockquote>

<font color="blue"> Could be. Fred will let us know....

Deeman</font color>