PDA

View Full Version : apa rating

02-20-2002, 04:32 PM
Hello all from Kentucky! Just was wondering ..... How do you get a APA rating and how does the rating system work? (ie) What is good and what is bad? Thanks ahead for all of your help and keep your shots clean!

heater451
02-20-2002, 05:06 PM
Have you looked at http://www.poolplayer.com ?

Scott Lee
02-20-2002, 05:17 PM
When you play your first match in an APA league, you will be considered a '3' or a '4', depending on whether you admit you can play or not. Your "real" skill level should show up when you have completed your first 10 weeks of play. The data on how you played, who won, and how the match was won, are entered into a computer formula that averages those scores, and assigns a skill level, between 2 and 7 in 8-ball, and 1-9 in 9-ball. That skill level may raise or lower, as play proceeds into other sessions.

There has been a lot of griping here and on other boards concerning the APA handicap system, and sandbagging issues. However, as a former APA League Operator, imo the problems lie more with LO than with the players. Sandbagging can only occur if BOTH teams allow it. Proper entries on the scoresheet allow for defensive behavior by either player in a match. I always made sure that my teams KNEW how to keep score properly, and acted immediately on any reports of sandbagging within my league. Although I had less than 100 teams, I still commanded the respect and cooperation of the players, in keeping the league clean, competitive, and fun. That's because if you were caught sandbagging (by me or my operatives) you were raised to a 7 (or 9) permanently, as long as you played in the league!
Sandbag all you want as a 7! LOL

Scott Lee

Tom_In_Cincy
02-20-2002, 09:42 PM
A rating of "9"? wow.. what a punishment for sandbagging..

How can you sandbag if you are a 7?

02-20-2002, 09:59 PM
How do you sandbag if your a 7?
Simple, drive balls into the rail early in games, especially when playing significantly weaker players (2's & 3's) counting on the fact that they can't get out, and then your miss(es) get scored and entered into the computer and the scoundrel hopes he missed enough to drop to a 6. That's the whole problem with this handicapping system. The claim that it's fair for all level of players is false.

02-21-2002, 03:51 AM
The APA website is www.poolplayers.com (http://www.poolplayers.com)
Your link is missing the "s"

cuechick
02-21-2002, 09:57 AM
The APA in NY women start as 3's and men start as 4's, from their innings and win/losses determine handicapp. No handicapping system is perfect but if followed correctly the APA's I believe is pretty accurate. And even though the starting handicapp system is sexist, I actually feel it benifits women. I Captained an all woman's team out of the city and it always took longer for our players to go up, but eventually they did.

Scott Lee
02-21-2002, 01:13 PM
Scott...As I stated before, sandbagging can ONLY occur if BOTH teams allow it. The APA scorekeeping system allows adjustment for better players who miss shots on purpose (even though they are trying not to show it), as well as lower-rated players who get lucky. Sandbagging needs to be reported to be dealt with, and if the League Operator doesn't deal with it effectively, there are alternative options, and a higher court. Such was the case a couple of years ago when a Chicago APA team was DQ'd after they had won the championships...when it was discovered that they had managed to sandbag their way into, and through the national tournament. This was a black eye for the organization as a whole, but was more representative of lack of action on the local level. The APA "Equalizer" handicap system is still the best one available, until something better comes along. It is the ONLY major league that uses the same handicap system from local to national level play.

Scott Lee

Scott Lee
02-21-2002, 01:19 PM
Tom...Exactly my point! Sandbag all you WANT as a 7 (or 9)! LOL IMO, the punishment fits the crime. In my league it was widely known that I absolutely would NOT tolerate unsportsmanlike behavior, which included, but was not limited to, sharking, sandbagging, verbal or physical harassment, abusive use of foul language, and/or fighting!
In 4 yrs, I only had to kick three individual players, and 1 team out of the league (out of more than 1000 league members). Play nice, or play somewhere else...my motto!

Scott

heater451
02-21-2002, 02:31 PM
Oops, my bad, thanks for catching it.