PDA

View Full Version : Memorial Weekend

Tom_In_Cincy
05-25-2002, 09:59 AM
Have a safe and happy weekend,

Remember those that helped make this weekend possible.

05-25-2002, 12:16 PM
Thank You Tom. Enjoy yours as well. I don't think that anyone is going to forget this year.

MikeM
05-25-2002, 02:51 PM
Have any of you biker guys and gals ever participated in Rolling Thunder? Every Memorial Day weekend, bikers from all over the country meet in Washington and on Sunday morning gather in the Pentagon parking lot to ride together into DC. This is the 15th year for Rolling Thunder, which is the largest single-day motorcycle event in the world. It's purpose is to remember Vietnam War veterans, soldiers missing in action, prisoners of war and others who have served or been killed in the armed forces.

I was in downtown DC yesterday for a meeting and the streets were already filled with bikers. Especially around the Vietnam Veterans Memorial. On the way back to Virginia we saw hundreds more streaming in.

We see lots of protests, demonstrations and marches here in the Nation's Capital. Rolling Thunder is, by far, the coolest. This year's ride will seem more poignant than ever, with America at war and still hurting from the September 11 attacks.

I will defenitely spend time this weekend to remember those that have given their lives to protect freedom around the world and send my best wishes to those who are fighting for freedoom in America's name today.

MM

rackmup
05-26-2002, 02:29 PM
http://home.ptd.net/~nikki/images/powmani3.gif

It reminds us of those who fought and never came home...
It reminds of of those who did, but left a piece of themselves "over there"...
It reminds us that we live in a free society, where we can speak our thoughts...
It reminds us that our children can go to school, without passing mortar-ridden buildings...
It reminds us that freedom carries with it, a heavy price...
It reminds us to love those we still have and to honor those we don't...
It brings us closer to God...
It is painted in vivid red, white and blue...
It is the eagle, it is valor, it is sacrifice...
It is why we can sleep easy tonight, because somewhere, someone is standing watch so that we can...
It is a time to remember, to mourn and to be proud to be a citizen of the greatest country in the world...
It is when we recognize one skin color, one that says "I am proud to be an American"...period.
It is a time to hug our children, for they will become the ones that mold our future nation, and fight our future battles. They will become our future Veterans and the reason this holiday of rememberance will live forever...
It is a time to stand, as ONE NATION, UNDER GOD, ABSOLUTELY INDIVISIBLE, regardless of what is thrown our way...
God Bless our Country and those who have kept it FREE.

I hope everyone has a safe weekend.

Regards,

Ken (more proud of my country today than I have ever been)

Jay M
05-27-2002, 09:29 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: rackmup:</font><hr> &lt;img src="http://home.ptd.net/~nikki/images/powmani3.gif"&gt;

It reminds us of those who fought and never came home...
It reminds of of those who did, but left a piece of themselves "over there"...
It reminds us that we live in a free society, where we can speak our thoughts...
It reminds us that our children can go to school, without passing mortar-ridden buildings...
It reminds us that freedom carries with it, a heavy price...
It reminds us to love those we still have and to honor those we don't...
It brings us closer to God...
It is painted in vivid red, white and blue...
It is the eagle, it is valor, it is sacrifice...
It is why we can sleep easy tonight, because somewhere, someone is standing watch so that we can...
It is a time to remember, to mourn and to be proud to be a citizen of the greatest country in the world...
It is when we recognize one skin color, one that says "I am proud to be an American"...period.
It is a time to hug our children, for they will become the ones that mold our future nation, and fight our future battles. They will become our future Veterans and the reason this holiday of rememberance will live forever...
It is a time to stand, as ONE NATION, UNDER GOD, ABSOLUTELY INDIVISIBLE, regardless of what is thrown our way...
God Bless our Country and those who have kept it FREE.

I hope everyone has a safe weekend.

Regards,

Ken (more proud of my country today than I have ever been) <hr></blockquote>

Very nice Ken. I'll add in the people that I am thinking about today.

In 1988 at Ft. Campbell Kentucky, our brigade was on training maneuvers in the outskirts of post. Two helicopters collided as we were on our way back in to the main post. 11 soldiers from 2nd Battalion 502nd Infantry (Air Assault) and 6 aircraft crew members lost their lives in the crash. It is not only those that serve in wars that should be remembered, but also those who train in the pursuit of peace.

Jay M&lt;-- C Co 1/502nd Infantry at the time