PDA

View Full Version : Back foot placement.

Cueless Joey
01-13-2005, 10:42 PM
Wouldn't it make sense to place the backfoot in line with aiming line all the time?
Pick the spot on the foot and the angle of the foot but keep, and keep them the same all the time?

yegon
01-14-2005, 02:21 AM
You mean you did not do it like that all the time? Wow. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

JimS
01-14-2005, 06:05 AM
I was told at my last lesson that the back foot toe should be under the cue butt.

woody_968
01-14-2005, 06:16 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote JimS:</font><hr> I was told at my last lesson that the back foot toe should be under the cue butt. <hr /></blockquote>

Changing my stance to this position really freed up my armswing. I had messed with it before, but never stayed with it because I didnt understand the "why" of putting it there.

Rod
01-14-2005, 06:34 AM
That's where it should be, to be well balanced and deliver a straight stroke.

Rod

DickLeonard
01-14-2005, 06:39 AM
Jim here is how I learned how to never play and in one minute I was back in line. If you were to take a newspaper and cut or fold the paper in half then place the paper on the floor length to width. If your right handed your left foot is along the length side of the paper and your right foot is along the width side forming a right angle and your cue runs over your toes.

I tilt my head and aim with my right eye down the shaft as if sighting a gun. When I shoot left handed I play with the cue under my chin.

Hope this helps.####

SpiderMan
01-14-2005, 07:57 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote DickLeonard:</font><hr> Jim here is how I learned how to never play and in one minute I was back in line. If you were to take a newspaper and cut or fold the paper in half then place the paper on the floor length to width. If your right handed your left foot is along the length side of the paper and your right foot is along the width side forming a right angle and your cue runs over your toes.

I tilt my head and aim with my right eye down the shaft as if sighting a gun. When I shoot left handed I play with the cue under my chin.
Hope this helps.#### <hr /></blockquote>

This sounds like it could be an excellent training aid, but I can't figure it out from the description. When you talk about a newspaper folded in half, do you mean the result is 1/2 of a newspaper "sheet", which would be one page, or do you mean 1/2 of one page, ie 1/4 sheet. How is the paper aligned with respect to the cue/shot line?

SpiderMan

DickLeonard
01-14-2005, 09:12 AM
Spiderman if your using the New York Times 1/2 of the two pages or fold it in half, length for your forward foot and the width for your back foot. If your using the New York Daily News one full sheet will do.

You create an 90 degree angle, bend your left foot and extend to get yourself in your shooting mode. Mosconi angle was feet close,standing upright with a slip stroke.####

Wally_in_Cincy
01-14-2005, 09:31 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote DickLeonard:</font><hr> Spiderman if your using the New York Times ...<hr /></blockquote>

If you're using the New York Times you will only be able to align your left foot /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Sorry #### I thought I was on non-pool-related

Chopstick
01-14-2005, 10:03 AM
Good one Wally. /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Here's another approach that Buddy showed me to arrive at the position #### is talking about. Stand facing the shot with your a feet square a few inches apart, also facing the shot. Hold the cue at your side on the shot line. Place the cue tip on the table where your bridge is going to be. Step straight forward with your left foot. Do not step toward or away from the shot line. Step forward parallel of the shot line. Pivot you right foot 90 degress on the ball, not the toe. This brings your feet into an L shape. Your heels are in line with other. Bend over and place your bridge where your cue tip was. This will be pretty close to an ideal setup.