PDA

View Full Version : Crappy tables

05-25-2002, 03:34 PM
I'm a college student and since I can't afford a car I'm stuck on campus a lot. We have a couple tables in the bottom of the dorms but they are really crappy. Unfourtuantely they are the only way I can play or practice. Is it detrimental to my game to play on these tables a lot?

Tom_In_Cincy
05-25-2002, 07:44 PM
MrSecant,

If you can play on crappy tables, then think of how nice it will be when you play on good one..

Stroke, Stroke, Stroke.. its the same on all table conditions.

Good luck

05-26-2002, 10:19 AM
No one had a crappier table than the one my brother and boyfriend assembled for me in my living room! I mostly did drills on it, and we'd play a game once in a while, but it was tough to get out of the wall safety, and the rolls kind of sucked too. Still, it was better than banging them around on the floor, which we did before the table was set up (Talk about an addict!) and our games just kept going up. I'd have to say no, practice is practice, so embrace each opportunity.

05-26-2002, 11:14 AM
there might even be a case to be made that playing on a junk table could improve your game. ok, it's a weak case but...

the bad table will probably teach you to spot and adjust to odd rolls. i'm not quite sure how to rationalize funky cushions. like i said, it's a weak case.

one odd thing about practicing on a "perfect" home table is that it get's a bit irritating going out to play league or tournaments on relative junk.

in any event, i do agree that the most importantest thing is to get in your strokes even if it's on a bad table or the back of the couch.

dan

heater451
05-27-2002, 08:13 PM
"Crappy" is really a relative term, and in this case, it could involve several different variables. But, that aside, any practice is beneficial, as long as you're practicing the right things--things that should be consistent in your game, regardless of table conditions.

If you've got your stance, stroke, and aim down, you should be able to pocket balls given almost any table. Controlling the cueball for shape may be different, but the concepts (appication of sidspin and/or follow/draw) will be the same.

The most difficult adjustment will probably be in speed-control, as "crappy" tables tend to have less lively cushion-action (rebound), and bad felt will suck a lot of speed out of the cue ball. When you make the transition to playing on a table in better condition, you may be overcooking your position more than you'd expect.