PDA

View Full Version : SharpShooter Shaft

bluey2king
01-14-2005, 10:00 AM
Howdy from Colorado;
I just got my Sharp Shooter shaft from American Cowboy Billiards. My Christmas present to myself *S*. I ordered mine with a Uni-Loc. It arrived and looks Great!! Hits Very nice! Super smooth.
Bob Moss or Cowboy Bob was Very Good to deal with. I spent a dime and called him to get a feel and I liked him a lot. I feel like he gave me special attention probably does this for everyone. I feel I got a Custom product insted of an off the shelf shaft. It matches up on my Lucasi Very nicely, Black joint with a silver ring. It Does not match my Lucasi ring work, but we discussed this before I ordered. Now I am glad I did Not pay for the matching ring work, because I can quickly tell which shaft is which while they are in my case.
I just thought I would pass on this "GOOD EXPERIENCE" In case someone is considering a shaft. I am NOT the Best Player around and the reason I bought it (Because I can *joke*). I am just learning English other than top. I didn't want to learn with one shaft then switch, I wanted to learn with a laminated shaft. I know the shaft doesn't make the player! I just wanted it!
Bluey

DavidMorris
01-14-2005, 01:51 PM
I've been interested in hearing a comparison between the 314, the SharpShooter, and the X-Shaft from Tiger Products. Has anybody fooled with more than one of these and can provide some observations? I'm considering experimenting with a laminated shaft and was thinking about going along with the mainstream and getting a 314, but these other shafts intrique me. I have some e-mails from Cowboy Bob from about two years ago where we discussed a SharpShooter. In the 2 years since, I've seen little to no coverage or reviews of the SharpShooter apart from the EPT review, which was really shallow.

bluey2king
01-14-2005, 02:19 PM
I have tried the 314 & the Z shaft. IMHO I think it would take a while to get dialed in to any of them. I know this SharpShooter I been playing with all week and still not as comfortable as my old shaft. My friend with the Z shaft said the same thing he said it took over a month. The Z shaft he has is the Euro taper and I did Not like that too skinny for me.

DavidMorris
01-14-2005, 02:36 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote bluey2king:</font><hr>The Z shaft he has is the Euro taper and I did Not like that too skinny for me. <hr /></blockquote>
You mean the tip was too small? I thought the Euro taper on the Z shaft was a thicker, steady taper down to a slightly smaller tip, which makes it tougher to play from a longer, closed bridge. I definitely don't care for that sort of taper, give me a Pro taper any day even if it is more whippy.

bluey2king
01-14-2005, 02:45 PM
No his shaft is Skinny I dont know maybe they have different thickness.

bsmutz
01-14-2005, 04:12 PM
David, I can't help you with the 314 or X-shaft as I have no experience with them. I do have a Sharpshooter shaft that I have been playing with for awhile and recently bought another laminated shaft from the manufacturer that made my cue (Schmelke). To be honest, I can't see much difference between the two, other than the finish. They are both 12mm and hit about the same as another cue that I have with a 13mm shaft. It may be that having them turned down to 12mm changes the characteristics enough to make them about the same stiffness as a 13mm shaft made of regular hard maple. The laminated shafts definitely play better for me than an unlaminated 12mm shaft. I don't have to compensate as much. I don't personally know how to quantify their characteristics. I have played with the different cues, changing from one day to the next for a period of a couple of weeks and know that I can pocket more balls and feel I play better with the laminated shafts. It's just a personal preference to me. I do know that the Schmelke shaft cost half as much as the Sharpshooter. Hope this helps a little.
Bill

buddha162
01-15-2005, 03:46 AM
I think it helps to remember that what set 314's apart from any other shaft is not the fact that they're radially laminated. You can achieve the same low-deflection with any one-piece shaft by lowering its end mass, but you would need much higher-quality maple to keep it from warping. The lamination also stiffens up a pretty thin taper.

-Roger