PDA

View Full Version : Click's Billiards in Arlington, Texas

rackmup
05-25-2002, 05:28 PM
I played in my "every week 9-ball tourney" today (at a place called "Speed’s") in Arlington. While awaiting my next match, a guy dropped in from the neighboring "Click’s" (they also own "Speed’s".) He informed us that "Click’s":
<ul type="square"> Discontinued their daily "flat rate".

Have started charging for water.
[/list]

All of this from a place that has NO daytime business.

What are they thinking? This will surely drive away the little daytime business they do have, hurting the very few tips the day staff now receive and driving away customers to other nearby rooms that continue to offer daily "flat rates."

I just don’t get it.

Regards,

Ken

Tom_In_Cincy
05-25-2002, 07:43 PM
Ken,

Next they won't open until 5 p.m. The summer months are not the busy season for Pool Halls. Except for players wanting to get out of the heat.

The only constant is change.

Sid_Vicious
05-26-2002, 03:18 AM
Thanks for the update Ken. You are absolutely right in my opinion, Clicks shouldn't run off business this way and diminish the tips in the day to nada. Do you know if this is a corporate change ot just for Arlington? sid

rackmup
05-26-2002, 04:30 AM
I'm not sure. I do know they have a new "Day Manager" and he may have had something to do with it. They don't have much daytime business except for some diehard "regulars" that come in to play one-pocket. Those guys will be gone and I will not go back (I am usually there for a couple of hours in the middle of the day EVERYDAY.)

Greed? Business in trouble? Smells like a little of both.

Regards,

Ken (gonna start charging my kids for water...just to see how much I can make)

Sid_Vicious
05-26-2002, 07:51 AM
If you were a nightly player you could still take advantage of the free nights for the men on Wednesday. Say the league players still get their time free during the week don't they? The one pocket group wouldn't get a reprieve, but that's still an avenue for a chronic local to capatilize on...sid~~~would still work the time system in some way, and in the long run the place gets my tips anyway

rackmup
05-26-2002, 08:37 AM
Trust me...when the "one-pocket gang" finds out about this, the WILL have a fit! They are easily the most vocal/influential group in the house. I don't see this lasting too long.

Regards,

Ken (gonna ride out the storm)

Sid_Vicious
05-26-2002, 09:09 AM
Let me ask you something out of curiousity. Does the 1-pocket players contribute, i.e. by drinks, food &amp; generally patronize the joint, or are they more than likey just camping out on the table and drinking water(which you say is now going to be charged, NOW THAT'S THE CRIME, $$$ FOR WATER.)

My point is that groups of players collecting on a consistent basis who may not add to the cash register in some way, might be a small piece of the problem,,,just trying to see it from their point of view.

When does flat rate officially end, is it over now???sid

Tom_In_Cincy
05-26-2002, 09:22 AM
Just a guess Ken,
But what if the 'one pocket' players are the problem? Maybe this is a way the management is dealing with it. When these players are gone, maybe the management will bring back the day rate.

If the 'one pocket' players are not the problem. Maybe it is the 'new' management, and eventually they might be gone for running the patrons away.

Just a thought.

rackmup
05-26-2002, 01:21 PM
You see...this is what's puzzling me:

During the day (from 11AM-5PM), the one-holers are paying the flat rate, drinking beer (or sodas-no FREE refills by the way) and bring new one-holers (like me) in to increase the revenues. I almost always eat lunch there (and my one-hole coach drinks beer like a new era of prohibition is dawning!)

It is in the evening when water is the drink of choice among the "poorer" players (and let me say, if you don't drink booze, refuse to pay a $1.75 for a soda with not even one refill, then I think it should be okay to drink water! Hell...I see the day staff wasting more water hosing the driveway than is being consumed by a player looking for his daily recommended 8 glasses!)

These are the "bangers", playing on the 8's and often time, sneaking out on the table time, that have caused this for us day-players.

I am not reluctant to say, when I return to the room on Tuesday, it will be as quiet as the local funeral home.

Regards,

Ken (gonna sneak in bottled water...hell-if I'm gonna sneak it in, it might as well be Miller Lite)

rackmup
05-26-2002, 01:43 PM
Arlington Click's Flat Rate

Born: (unknown) Died: May 24th, 2002

Loved by all, the flat rate at Click's in Arlington brought many a pool player together for an afternoon of pool, food and drink, passed away on May 24th, 2002, sometime in the quiet of the night.

It is survived by several other local pool rooms which are destined to become the gathering place for conversations and fond memories of days gone by at Click's.

Arlington Flat Rate leaves behind Two Video Games, a Bar, two Restrooms, several trays of balls, red and blue dot cueballs, several Dart Boards and Pool Tables, ample parking (within reasonable proximity to several stripper bars) and several sad patrons.

Pall Bearers include but are not limited to:

Steve "A-Bear", "Les is Moore", Sarge, Charlie, "The Guppy" and others.

Our Father, draped in Simonis, hallowed be thy slate. Thy flat rate gone, I will not be done, with practice drills and friendly action. Give us this day, our daily one pocket. And forgive us our comments, as we forgive those railbirds that comment against us. And lead us not into the hustle, but deliver us to winnings. For thine is the poolhall, the break and the three-rail kick, forever. Amen.

Services will be open to the public for the nominal fee of $2.50 (drinking water NOT included.)

Regards,

Ken