PDA

View Full Version : French Champion Tips Input

mksmith713
01-14-2005, 11:01 PM
Does anyone have any experience with French Champion tips?

I'm thinking about putting one on my cue but they're a little expensive.
I'd hate to spend hard earned cash on tips that don't play well.
What other tips do they compare to?

Bob C
01-15-2005, 08:19 PM
Before switching to laminated tips I played with Chandivert's Champion tips for about 10 years. I think they had some production problems in the mid-1990s, but I never experienced any significant mushrooming or any other problems with them. I think they play harder than they actually are (74.2.) I liked them. Can't imagine that you think they are expensive. You could have bought them at Muellers in 2004 for about $1.50 apiece but they aren't in the 2005 catalog. What are they selling for now?

Bob C

mksmith713
01-16-2005, 06:36 AM
Here's a little excerpt from Bill Strouds Joss West website.
These are the tips I'm referring to.

<font color="blue"> </font color> Stroud makes the ferrules for his sticks out of old ivory, fits them to the shafts, faces them, then glues on the leather tips. "I use French 'Champion' tips, over 15 years old, that have been carefully selected and stored. I bought them from a tip fanatic in Evansville, Indiana. One old man in France made these tips, and he taught his son and the quallty went down. When the Vietnam War started, the leather for these, water buffalo, disappeared. The hide has to be about two inches thick when you start. I have five boxes of fifty, paid $5 for each tip.

mksmith713
01-16-2005, 06:38 AM
I managed to find a site online that has these tips available for $30.00 each.
Hmmmm, kinda makes you wanna switch to something less rare.
Maybe Moori or Tiger?

mworkman
01-16-2005, 07:07 AM
I bought a couple from Muellers a few years ago. They worked fine. They were a light brownish/yellowish color. A pretty hard tip that I actually put one on my break stick. They were good tips. Then I switched to moori for the last couple of years. They were good too.
I live a couple hours from a cue repair man so I just put my own tip on (I had a box of Lepros) they allready come at 13mm so it's easy to install. I've been playing with the Lepro now for a couple months and I'm happy with it. I wouldn't sweat trying to get that perfect tip because they are all pretty good. I did find that the Moori lasted longer then anything else I've tried soo far, but then I have to pay someone to put it on because it comes as 14mm..

mksmith713
01-16-2005, 02:32 PM
Oddly enough, I've found a tip that plays really good.
I didn't even think about these tips because they were so inexpensive.
Most people associate high cost with quality.
So, anyway, I picked up a bunch of Triumph tips and put one on a junk cue to try it out and was pleasantly surprised with how well it plays.
My son likes them too, so it's a win win situation for both of us.
When these FC tips get short, I'll be replacing them with Triumph tips.
Alot cheaper than Moori, Talisman,Tiger,etc and play just as well IMO.

SecaucusFats
01-16-2005, 03:00 PM
Chandivert, a French company, was the maker of Champion, Rocky, Comprime, Crown, Eureka, Match, Rond, Snooky, and Super Royal tips. After more than 100 years in business, the company shut its doors for good about a year ago.

SF

SpiderMan
01-17-2005, 07:29 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote SecaucusFats:</font><hr> Chandivert, a French company, was the maker of Champion, Rocky, Comprime, Crown, Eureka, Match, Rond, Snooky, and Super Royal tips. After more than 100 years in business, the company shut its doors for good about a year ago.
SF <hr /></blockquote>

Bill Schick in Shreveport said that he obtained a quantity of the Chandivert hides several years ago and begain making tips for his own custom cues. His process involved punching them out with some dies he'd made, and a very long soaking and compression operation.

SpiderMan

SpiderMan
01-17-2005, 07:32 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote mksmith713:</font><hr> Oddly enough, I've found a tip that plays really good.
I didn't even think about these tips because they were so inexpensive.
Most people associate high cost with quality.
So, anyway, I picked up a bunch of Triumph tips and put one on a junk cue to try it out and was pleasantly surprised with how well it plays.
My son likes them too, so it's a win win situation for both of us.
When these FC tips get short, I'll be replacing them with Triumph tips.
Alot cheaper than Moori, Talisman,Tiger,etc and play just as well IMO. <hr /></blockquote>

I like the way s Triumph plays, at least for a person who is used to softer tips.

On several Triumphs, I have seen the pre-attached pad try to separate from the rest of the tip. It appears that they are held together with something like contact cement. If you get them too warm while burnishing, you can pull them apart.

SpiderMan